IGNORED

Catholics Vs. Protestants (I don't get it)

Not of the World

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,023
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

18 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

Is there something wrong in taking a secular holiday and making it into a holiday about Jesus?  :noidea:

It depends on what elements are incorporated into such a day.

Personally I don't mind a few decorations at Christmas, but I'm not going to become obsessed and smother my house and lawn in lights and "festive" objects.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.66
  • Days Won:  149

4 hours ago, Not of the World said:

The organization or do you also mean all Catholics?

The organization is apostate and corrupt. The only believers I think to be in that group would be those who are not fully aware of what they are a part of or those who have compromised their beliefs. I believe there are many who don't know what the Catholic church is all about. ANYONE who bothers to do even a surface study of the Catholic church will see immediately all of the contradictions between it and what the bible teaches.

The catholic church is a false church tailor made for the unsaved world or those with no intention to become real believers. You can be born into it, baptized( sprinkled) and be called a believer with no real notion of what a believer really is. It is a cult in that staunch Catholics only marry into other catholic families and disown those who don't.

You are not encouraged to think at the attendee level. Just show up for mass, give money and go to confession. Let the priests do the thinking. Most services are very liturgical in nature > mechanical>going through the motions. Yes we also have protestant churches that do the same. Lutheran and Episcopal comes to mind as a few examples. It would be very EASY to attend one of these churches for YEARS and never really get a real understanding of the gospel. 

Are there saved Catholics? Probably a few here and there, but I can't for the life of me, understand why they would continue in the church when they see what's going on in it.

3 hours ago, Not of the World said:

I think you make a lot of good points.  Let me ask you this.  If Catholics faithfully believe in and follow the Great Commandment, do you believe that they will be saved?

The great commandment must be a catch phrase here to describe something I am unaware of, unless you mean " Love the Lord with all of your heart and love your neighbor as yourself". Jesus said this was the greatest commandment.

If anyone loves the Lord with all his or her heart, they will do as the Lord says with respect to their life. Jesus told the rich man " You MUST be born again". How often has anyone heard this in the Catholic church? They hear a lot about confession of sins to a priest, as if a priest has any power to forgive sins. We must come to JESUS for forgiveness of sins.

2 hours ago, Michael37 said:

It was a two-way street, with Imperial Rome adopting many of the pagan customs, beliefs and religions of the tribes and countries they conquered so that by the time Constantine had the realisation that ending the persecution of Christians and incorporating Christianity into the existing state program would strengthen the Roman Empire, mixing myth with truth was considered patriotic.

Quote from Constantine I - Legacy | Britannica

Traditional country magic was tolerated by Constantine. Classical culture and education, which were intimately linked with paganism, continued to enjoy enormous prestige and influence; provincial priesthoods, which were as intimately linked with civic life, long survived the reign of Constantine. Constantinople itself was predominantly a Christian city, its dedication celebrated by Christian services; yet its foundation was also attended by a well-known pagan seer, Sopatros.

Maybe it had the desired effect for the Roman empire, however the Bible teaches us to have no other Gods before us. Rome has not in any way helped the position of true Christianity. I believe the Roman hybrid religion will play a huge part in future events relating to the end times apostacy.

• Well Said! 1

17 minutes ago, Starise said:

Maybe it had the desired effect for the Roman empire, however the Bible teaches us to have no other Gods before us. Rome has not in any way helped the position of true Christianity. I believe the Roman hybrid religion will play a huge part in future events relating to the end times apostacy.

You've got that right. Much been said already here.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, Starise said:

I'm not a fan of the RCC but it's not like they're spreading Islam, right?  I mean, they do teach that Jesus is God and that he died for our sins and that believing in him is the path to salvation, right?  So while I think there is a lot wrong with the RCC, I can't say that they're all wrong and bad about everything, but maybe I'm missing something.  :noidea:

3 minutes ago, Michael37 said:

You've got that right. Much been said already here.

Are Catholics that faithfully believe in and follow the Great Commandment saved, in your estimation?

2 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

I'm not a fan of the RCC but it's not like they're spreading Islam, right?  I mean, they do teach that Jesus is God and that he died for our sins and that believing in him is the path to salvation, right?  So while I think there is a lot wrong with the RCC, I can't say that they're all wrong and bad about everything, but maybe I'm missing something.  :noidea:

Ask this: What is more dangerous, a totally false religion or a religion that possesses the trappings of a true religion but denies the foundation of it? Most westerners will not entertain Islam because it worships a false prophet and a set of false texts condoning murder of anyone who isn't Muslim.

Yet westerners WILL accept something that is tied to Jesus in some way that endorses works to arrive in heaven. They like working themselves into heaven. The only problem with it is it isn't biblical. The teachings of the catholic church are damaging because they negate the blood of Christ. IOW the blood isn't enough, you have this list of other things you need to do that THEY have added.

Are there good people with good intentions in the Catholic church? Absolutely.

Throwing a lifetime of good works into the pot without Jesus forgiveness is a ticket to hell.

Yes if you dig deep enough in the Catholic you might find Jesus, no thanks to most of the clergy, because most of what they do day in and day out says the opposite.

3 minutes ago, Not of the World said:

Are Catholics that faithfully believe in and follow the Great Commandment saved, in your estimation?

Yes. Infant sprinkling in any denomination doesn't make anyone safe, as some believe, not just Roman Catholics.

When you go up the tags fall off, if you go down they burn off.

We have had problems here on Worthy Christian Forums with claims that the Roman Catholic Church is the True Church and only those in it are saved, so lines are drawn.

1 minute ago, Starise said:

Ask this: What is more dangerous, a totally false religion or a religion that possesses the trappings of a true religion but denies the foundation of it? Most westerners will not entertain Islam because it worships a false prophet and a set of false texts condoning murder of anyone who isn't Muslim.

Yet westerners WILL accept something that is tied to Jesus in some way that endorses works to arrive in heaven. They like working themselves into heaven. The only problem with it is it isn't biblical. The teachings of the catholic church are damaging because they negate the blood of Christ. IOW the blood isn't enough, you have this list of other things you need to do that THEY have added.

Are there good people with good intentions in the Catholic church? Absolutely.

Throwing a lifetime of good works into the pot without Jesus forgiveness is a ticket to hell.

Yes if you dig deep enough in the Catholic you might find Jesus, no thanks to most of the clergy, because most of what they do day in and day out says the opposite.

One thing is for certain, the RCC is very much "of the world".  They are a recognized nation and participate in the U.N.  I tell my Catholic friends this and then ask them to read what the Bible says about "the world" but they blow it off.  I was a Catholic for the first 50 years of my life (I'm 56) but I was never remotely "hardcore" about it.  In fact, I hated going to Mass because I was bored out of my mind.  Looking back I now realize that I wasn't into it because it's, well, empty.  I went to a school board meeting at the behest of my wife (years ago) and during the meeting I quietly whispered to her "this is worse than church".  LOL.  Anyway, most Catholics have no idea why they're Catholic.  The actual hardcore Catholics are virtual cultists.  I'm thankful that the good Lord gave me sufficient vision to get off that path and onto the path prescribed by Christ.