IGNORED

Resurrection and the Law

Guest Shaggy Flasko

Guest Shaggy Flasko

I'm new here, so I thought I'd start out with something interesting.

1 Corinthians 15

54But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.

55"O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"

56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law;

57but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

If the resurrection is future, does that mean that we have not victory over sin in Christ? If not, why does Paul exclusively relate the death and resurrection to sin and the Law?

Tell me what you think, so that we may have an enlightening discussion. :thumbsup:

God bless.

-Bill

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

1 Corinthians 15

54But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory.

55"O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?"

56The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law;

57but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

If the resurrection is future, does that mean that we have not victory over sin in Christ? If not, why does Paul exclusively relate the death and resurrection to sin and the Law?

Tell me what you think, so that we may have an enlightening discussion. :thumbsup:

God bless.

-Bill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those who are in Christ have the victory over sin by Christ's Spirit. Christ who was without sin even though He had a temporal fleshly body By the Spirit of God overcame the flesh. Through His Spirit we have His wisdom and His righteousness walking in His Spirit and denying the flesh. We praise our Lord for His gift to us and give Him all the glory. Awaiting the end of our faith the resurection or the catching away.

Co 1

29 that no flesh should glory in His presence.

30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God--and righteousness and sanctification and redemption--

31 that, as it is written, "He who glories, let him glory in the Lord."

Ga 2

20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Denise

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Actually Paul tells us we are already dead with Him in Baptism, and raised with Him in resurrection life. PRESENT TENSE.

Guest Shaggy Flasko

mark sort've made my point, that the resurrection was from death under the Law. If the resurrection is still in the future, then we must still be under the Law and dead in sin.

Romans 6

4Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

5For if we have become united with Him [past tense] in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be [future tense] in the likeness of His resurrection,

Paul's audience was waiting for their resurrection in Christ. If they (and we) still aren't united with Christ in his resurrection, but only his death, then we are still dead in sin.

They were still under the Law.

Hebrews 8

13When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready [present tense] to disappear.

I think the resurrection has been accomplished in Christ.

God bless.

-Bill

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

mark sort've made my point, that the resurrection was from death under the Law. If the resurrection is still in the future, then we must still be under the Law and dead in sin.

Romans 6

4Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.

5For if we have become united with Him [past tense] in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be [future tense] in the likeness of His resurrection,

Paul's audience was waiting for their resurrection in Christ. If they (and we) still aren't united with Christ in his resurrection, but only his death, then we are still dead in sin.

They were still under the Law.

Hebrews 8

13When He said, "A new covenant," He has made the first obsolete But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready [present tense] to disappear.

I think the resurrection has been accomplished in Christ.

God bless.

-Bill

I agree, the resurrection of the dead had to do with the OC saints being resurrected into the body of Christ from the body of Moses which ocurred when the temple and city were destroyed in AD70 forever ending the OC system that was vanishing away.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

:thumbsup:

God bless.

-Bill

Welcome to worthy boards. Hope to have you stay around for a long time.... even if you get boring after a while......

I just had to say that..... :thumbsup:

Guest Shaggy Flasko

Ah, thanks for the warm welcome. I usually don't get bored, unless they ban me. :thumbsup:

Interesting thoughts, Brad. I've come to similiar conclusions as you, though I'm always looking for different points of view.

God bless.

-Bill

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

I used to be scared to death, of death, but now.......I don't know.......

Guest Shaggy Flasko
I used to be scared to death, of death, but now.......I don't know.......

Fear no more, because Christ has defeated sin and death. I guess that's the idea of the resurrection. When Adam sinned, in dying he would die (separated from God). However, for us, physical death only unites us with our creator.

Hooray!

God bless.

-Bill

Guest Shaggy Flasko
shaggy and brad....

May I suggest to both of you that Adam died both spritually, and physically.

I agree with this part, but could you elaborate? I don't fully understand what mean.

God bless. :blink:

-Bill

Edited by Shaggy Flasko