IGNORED

Who managed to quit smoking? or is trying to quit?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,871
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

It's not easy to quit the habit after years in the making...

But someone can always try...it's something that someone has to wrestle with himself ...and someone needs to identify the habitual times..at the times when is having a coffee...late in the night...during meals...or while he is having a drink..the times that he is going to feel the strong erges.

In the old days it was difficult not to smoke because were in a hurry to grow up and all the actors and in their movies smoke, it was like the coolest think to do...and as kids we liked to imitate...

Step by step to eliminate the  excessive smoking...and avoid smoking around people who do not smoke...cigarette can isolate someone from the people around him...or on the other hand one can make easily friends this way...that's was for me...sharing your smokes can be the reason for very strong bonds of friendship...

Some times don't buy cigarettes...that really really helps...

And one must find reasons to develop a defensive mind...and some times it's good to promise to one self that not now but later...

Edited by Your closest friendnt
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  12.19
  • Days Won:  31

1 minute ago, Your closest friendnt said:

It's not easy to quit the habit after years in the making...

But someone can always try...it's something that someone has to wrestle with himself ...and someone needs to identify the habitual times..at the times when is having a coffee...late in the night...during meals...or while he is having a drink..the times that he is going to feel the strong erges.

In the old days it was difficult not to smoke because were in a hurry to grow up and all the actors and in their movies smoke, it was like the coolest think to do...and as kids we liked to imitate...

Step by step to eliminate the  excessive smoking...and avoid smoking around people who do not smoke...cigarette can isolate someone from the people around him...or on the other hand one can make easily friends this way...that's was for me...sharing your smokes can be the reason for very strong bonds of friendship...

@Your closest friendnt Thanks for your comments!

You raise a significant point about the social aspect of smoking.

As mentioned earlier, while I think it better all round if ppl didn't smoke, yet - as regards the social aspect of smoking - historically it used to be customary in some parts of North America - prior to the American Civil War - for women to smoke after a church service; then for a while in the so called Progressive Era it became supposedly taboo for women to smoke (this is also the era from where Fundamentalists got some of their taboos from). It's been done wholeheartedly over the years; and it's been abstained from wholeheartedly over the years. Customs come and go over the years, but I don't see how what some ppl do or don't do at one point in time somehow supposedly becomes the prism for all time to judge someone's doctrine before the Lord. (So much for the idea that it's somehow 'unlady-like' to smoke; it was all part of what you generally described as the social aspect of smoking.)

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, farouk said:

@Your closest friendnt Thanks for your comments!

You raise a significant point about the social aspect of smoking.

As mentioned earlier, while I think it better all round if ppl didn't smoke, yet - as regards the social aspect of smoking - historically it used to be customary in some parts of North America - prior to the American Civil War - for women to smoke after a church service; then for a while in the so called Progressive Era it became supposedly taboo for women to smoke (this is also the era from where Fundamentalists got some of their taboos from). It's been done wholeheartedly over the years; and it's been abstained from wholeheartedly over the years. Customs come and go over the years, but I don't see how what some ppl do or don't do at one point in time somehow supposedly becomes the prism for all time to judge someone's doctrine before the Lord. (So much for the idea that it's somehow 'unlady-like' to smoke; it was all part of what you generally described as the social aspect of smoking.)

We have to leave it to everyone...there more important things...and I used to prefer women who smoked...it was something fascinating about having a cigarette with a woman kind of you felt that had something in common and she want complain about your smoked kisses...now the world in the cities is different no smoking in the restaurant or the bars...or in the apartment building and there are those high rises where thousands of people work and very few smoke...this is the best environment to quit smoking...

One time I was late for a special guest service and by the time I got there the were all gone...and while Iwas speaking with someone else who was also late...a young man not yet twenty came and he was disappointed because he wanted the evangelist to pray for his smoking habit...and guess what, I said to him I will pray for you..and he was very happy and he let me pray for him a simple prayer and I remember I rebuke the desire of smoking ...well that's what I did....after a year or so I met him in a coffee shop when he came in with his friends and he recognized me and he said to his friends this man prayed for me and since that time the desire to smoke was gone...I never felt the urge to smoke again...

I said this which it is a truth story...that we can also ask for prayers....

A friend said well I prayed many times and did not help me....and I said it is because Jesus wants you to learn to resist it and wrestle with it.because you can do it..I said to him "don't you get the message "...it's not because he does not care..but we have to learn to fight off many things even excessive eating and learn to manage our diet...the way we learn to manage our words....we have to enrich our vocabulary so we do not use one word as a substitute for many others...that was long time ago...

God blessed 

About the comments people make for others who smoke...what can I say I do not encourage it but they are people who will do that and believe that is having a benefit on the young who are listening for them to know that if they do not want others to talk about them like that they should not take up smoking....also they learn that people in general they put others under their microscope and for themselves they just look at the mirror and they only see their attire and they smile and walk quickly away...they do a service to their children so they think..

We have to learn to live with them because they may have a very sharp tongue and they think that they have the right to do that because they are very hospitable and offer their time to help in the ministry...

One man said when they asked him why he does not care about himself a little better..and that what he said...if the flies do not come around  maybe he will never lift his hand...

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @Michael37 FYI...........any wisdom for this topic?

(cc @Your closest friendnt ; @Retrobyter )

Butt scavengers roam the city in search of tobacco scraps, poking around in the trash, returning again and again to the designated smoking areas, picking up the discarded remains of cigarettes from the footpaths and gutters, and stealing from other addicts to satisfy their craving for the deadly toxin that has long conquered them and holds them captive as it slowly but surely corrupts their body until they wither and die, desperate for one last lungful of noxious nicotine.

• Thumbs Up 2

@farouk

I agree that people should not question someone else's Salvation on the account of smoking or how much Jesus loves people even people who smoke are very precious to him and very vulnerable and very close to his heart...

That does not mean that Jesus is encouraging or endorsing smoking but that's the way he found them and this is how he told them I loved you and wiped away their tears. 

Smoking is not keeping Jesus away from anyone...because some people do not want to fellowship with people who smoke and that's their prerogative and they do not want them to served in their churches and this is their prerogative how they want the church to be represented and be known from the outside people.

But for Jesus is not the same as his banner is Love...for anyone who calls upon his name even for people who Judge smoking....

This is besides the point and there are people who are common Law and does not matter whether it is possible for them to marry or not...that is their sircumstances and they have children and are a family...

But the churches have their rules...because they believe that if you do not speak against something that you are endorsing it and are promoting it...which is not the situation in all the instances...

The point is let the churches have their rules...but when they say that Jesus Judges according to their rules all who are calling upon his name certainly is not the truth....

The point is that no one is condemn because of smoking or perhaps something else and no one is deprived from the Love of Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ is happy with everyone and he wishes that all the smokers in the world believe in him....more for Jesus and less for the Devil..

5 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

@farouk

I agree that people should not question someone else's Salvation on the account of smoking or how much Jesus loves people even people who smoke are very precious to him and very vulnerable and very close to his heart...

That does not mean that Jesus is encouraging or endorsing smoking but that's the way he found them and this is how he told them I loved you and wiped away their tears. 

Smoking is not keeping Jesus away from anyone...because some people do not want to fellowship with people who smoke and that's their prerogative and they do not want them to served in their churches and this is their prerogative how they want the church to be represented and be known from the outside people.

But for Jesus is not the same as his banner is Love...for anyone who calls upon his name even for people who Judge smoking....

This is besides the point and there are people who are common Law and does not matter whether it is possible for them to marry or not...that is their sircumstances and they have children and are a family...

But the churches have their rules...because they believe that if you do not speak against something that you are endorsing it and are promoting it...which is not the situation in all the instances...

The point is let the churches have their rules...but when they say that Jesus Judges according to their rules all who are calling upon his name certainly is not the truth....

The point is that no one is condemn because of smoking or perhaps something else and no one is deprived from the Love of Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ is happy with everyone and he wishes that all the smokers in the world believe in him....more for Jesus and less for the Devil..

Well, I don't think that common law is the same as marriage.......but this is a bit off topic, I guess.......

2 minutes ago, farouk said:

Well, I don't think that common law is the same as marriage.......but this is a bit off topic, I guess.......

It is in the same weight scale...as smoking ...it is something that "Christians" will comment and avoid to associate and invite them to their homes. A similar situation as the smokers...something that people Judge...

I do not attempt to high Jack the post...I just mentioned it and I do not know why...perhaps someone needed to read it...that's all.

All good.

Hi @Marilyn C FYI............any wisdom for this topic?

@AlsoBroken You're contributed a number of posts here; so did you see some of the latest ones?