Not of the World

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

During the early beginning of the Christian congregations, few copies of the many scrolls/letters-that now compose the modern day Bible-were few and not readily available; therefore making public readings was essential.  The apostle Paul commanded the ancient writings and his letters be read publically at the meetings of the fledgling Christian congregations and ordered them to be exchanged with other congregations so that others may benefit from such readings.-Colossians 4:16; 1 Thessalonians 5:27.

Paul was instructing Timothy.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  350
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,508
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

On 12/7/2022 at 10:19 AM, kwikphilly said:

These are not define able with one word & therefore we must transliterate....

I especially like that you mention it can be in public or with one other.... For as we know God Word Tells us that where there are 2 or more Gathered in His Name He is in our Midst!!!!!

It only takes 2 to have " Church"😀- if you get what I mean lol

God Inhabits the Praises of His People - Glory to God!

Great Topic,wonderful replies!

With love in Christ, Kwik

Good morning kwik,

In another recent thread, we have been discussing church organization and structure. I think this OP also relates to this topic indirectly (reading scripture in public).

That Bible verse came to mind last Sunday morning in Sunday School.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

What Jesus said is both edifying and encouraging. As Paul Harvey says, “and now, the rest of the story.”

Our church, like many others, has Sunday School right before church worship service. One of these days, I will research when and how that tradition developed, Lord willing. But anyway, to the point.

Church attendance, particularly Sunday School attendance, has been dwindling at our church. This summer, our church was established 200 years ago. With the average age of membership and attrition, I do not see the doors open five years from now unless God intervenes.

Last Sunday, for whatever reason, we only had three in Sunday School attendance, the teacher, a devout and wonderful 85-year-old lady, and me. Our regular S.S. teacher is getting up in years and asked if I would fill in for him on a rotating basis and when he cannot be there. I accepted.

It takes considerable time and study for lesson preparation. Last Sunday morning, thoughts started to pop into my head; with the few here, is this even worth it? Negative thoughts were entering from within or fiery darts directed toward me, and I was getting discouraged. That is when Matthew 18:20 flashed into my brain.

Upon further reflection of what an organized ekklēsía and congregation is for an external gathering at a building, it requires organization and participation. The Pastor and bills must be paid; the church needs cleaning, maintenance, and repair; ushers, Bible teachers, a treasurer, recording secretary, possibly a worship music director and pianist—distribution of offerings for missions, local outreach programs, Gospel outreach, etc.

There are commonalities with the establishment of the apostolic churches.

In summation, we all come under attack, from our old selves and the flesh, along with the dark forces attacking us. Knowing God’s word, studying and publicly reading scripture (i.e., Eph. 6 and elsewhere) are our defenses, growing in faith.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

37 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

Good morning kwik,

In another recent thread, we have been discussing church organization and structure. I think this OP also relates to this topic indirectly (reading scripture in public).

That Bible verse came to mind last Sunday morning in Sunday School.

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

What Jesus said is both edifying and encouraging. As Paul Harvey says, “and now, the rest of the story.”

Our church, like many others, has Sunday School right before church worship service. One of these days, I will research when and how that tradition developed, Lord willing. But anyway, to the point.

Church attendance, particularly Sunday School attendance, has been dwindling at our church. This summer, our church was established 200 years ago. With the average age of membership and attrition, I do not see the doors open five years from now unless God intervenes.

Last Sunday, for whatever reason, we only had three in Sunday School attendance, the teacher, a devout and wonderful 85-year-old lady, and me. Our regular S.S. teacher is getting up in years and asked if I would fill in for him on a rotating basis and when he cannot be there. I accepted.

It takes considerable time and study for lesson preparation. Last Sunday morning, thoughts started to pop into my head; with the few here, is this even worth it? Negative thoughts were entering from within or fiery darts directed toward me, and I was getting discouraged. That is when Matthew 18:20 flashed into my brain.

Upon further reflection of what an organized ekklēsía and congregation is for an external gathering at a building, it requires organization and participation. The Pastor and bills must be paid; the church needs cleaning, maintenance, and repair; ushers, Bible teachers, a treasurer, recording secretary, possibly a worship music director and pianist—distribution of offerings for missions, local outreach programs, Gospel outreach, etc.

There are commonalities with the establishment of the apostolic churches.

In summation, we all come under attack, from our old selves and the flesh, along with the dark forces attacking us. Knowing God’s word, studying and publicly reading scripture (i.e., Eph. 6 and elsewhere) are our defenses, growing in faith.

Good Morning to you too Brother! Praise the Lord for yet another Day🤗

I agree,this is certainly in line with our previous discussion    

Very sad to see a congregation dwindle- it breaks my heart when I walk in a church and I can count  the attendants with just a glance ...since you mentioned that I thought of a sermon I heard recently when there was only a few of us in the pews- he commented on the fact that that God is not Moved by quantity,that stuck with me just as it did when God Would Have Spared Sodom and Gommorah had there been 10 righteous found by Abraham,also there were but 8 on Noah's ark .I have no doubt that a church with only 3 Faithful Believers is as pleasing to God as 103 or 1003 ❤️

Anyway,well said Dennis👍

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,341
  • Content Per Day:  2.75

14 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Good Morning to you too Brother! Praise the Lord for yet another Day🤗

I agree,this is certainly in line with our previous discussion    

Very sad to see a congregation dwindle- it breaks my heart when I walk in a church and I can count  the attendants with just a glance ...since you mentioned that I thought of a sermon I heard recently when there was only a few of us in the pews- he commented on the fact that that God is not Moved by quantity,that stuck with me just as it did when God Would Have Spared Sodom and Gommorah had there been 10 righteous found by Abraham,also there were but 8 on Noah's ark .I have no doubt that a church with only 3 Faithful Believers is as pleasing to God as 103 or 1003 ❤️

Anyway,well said Dennis👍

I find the bigger the church the more goes on behind closed doors. Only a select few know; and not the congregation.

• Interesting! 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  956
  • Content Per Day:  2.36
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/21/2022 at 11:09 PM, Not of the World said:

To whom was the author speaking and can we correctly deduce that we are also commanded to reading the scripture in public?  

1 Timothy 4:13

English Standard Version

13 Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.

1 Timothy 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. 13 Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. 14 Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. 15 Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. 16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

I would say that this reading of the scripture is being done in the assembly that Timothy was in.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I wish I had thanked my mom before she passed away for reading scripture to me before I could read it for myself.  She emphasized the truth in scripture in contrast with the make-believe in fairy tales.  Timothy’s mother and grandmother taught him from scripture, too.   In churches today, there are many “babes in Christ” who have not had that same advantage; so yes, it’s important to read scripture aloud and teach the godly principles within to counteract the lies of Satan with truth.  “Babes in Christ” who are fed mature and learn to nurture others.  Churches that are fed grow.  

• Loved it! 1