IGNORED

What Is Christmas For You? The Birth of JESUS CHRIST or The Dumb Christmas Tree? = Matthew 1;18-21

MizKJVOnly

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,995
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.71
  • Days Won:  226

6 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I'm pleased that the reason you put up a tree is to glorify God.  The questions are: how do you know that that is what he wants?; and, what makes you think that it glorifies him?

Does this Christmas tree glorify God?

1778948810_download(2).jpg.a640c315b4c74dc34b04bd3a80efdc3d.jpg

Why or why not?

• Haha 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.48
  • Days Won:  12

21 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Does this Christmas tree glorify God?

1778948810_download(2).jpg.a640c315b4c74dc34b04bd3a80efdc3d.jpg

Why or why not?

I don't think you've got the hang of this discussion thing.  If you answer my questions, I'll answer yours.

40 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I don't think you've got the hang of this discussion thing.  If you answer my questions, I'll answer yours.

Everything comes from the heart. You can sometimes tell where a person's heart is by what they have on their tree. God loves green trees. He created them. Just like God knows everyone's heart who is on this earth and they will be judged according to what is in their heart. 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,532
  • Content Per Day:  6.04
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

1 hour ago, Vine Abider said:

Ultimately, that's the bottom line question for everything, right?  If God is telling you to do, then there's profit in it.  If not, then none.

I'll quote myself here as I thought add a little clarification.  If you are going about your normal routine (which may include Xmas decorating) and you are turning to the Lord, making melody in your heart towards Him, etc., then there's profit even in those things!

• Well Said! 1

1 hour ago, missmuffet said:

Everything comes from the heart. You can sometimes tell where a person's heart is by what they have on their tree. God loves green trees. He created them. Just like God knows everyone's heart who is on this earth and they will be judged according to what is in their heart. 

I agree; however, this is not what I asked about.

I'll put it this way: if someone on a desert island, found a Bible and got saved, he would not, in a million years, think of celebrating the Lord's birthday, on 25th Dec., by hanging decorations on an evergreen tree.  It just would not happen.

Christ-Mass has a different source, and it's not Christian.

1 minute ago, David1701 said:

I'll put it this way: if someone on a desert island, found a Bible and got saved, he would not, in a million years, think of celebrating the Lord's birthday, on 25th Dec., by hanging decorations on an evergreen tree.  It just would not happen.

I answered your question. That is it. 

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,830
  • Content Per Day:  1.28
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, David1701 said:

Your example is moot.

People don't worship Christmas trees or ornaments or eggnog or Santa Claus or peppermint sticks or presents or ugly Christmas sweaters or the song "Jingle Bells".

It's just a man-made tradition that has nothing to do with Christ.  

And YES, we all know that Jesus wasn't really born on the 25th and YES, we know that October 31 is Reformation Day.

If you want to put up a tree, please do.

If you don't, then don't,

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

Scripture tells us, Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen,

Jeremiah 10:1-4,

1, Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel: 

2, Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. 

3, For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. 

4, They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. 

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,981
  • Content Per Day:  1.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

9 hours ago, tim_from_pa said:

The Christmas tree controversy comes from within the Church, not the politically correct and progressive viewpoints we see going around these days.  As a matter of fact, they rather ban the nativity but everyone still tolerates the Christmas tree if we take notice.

I divided the decorations of Christmas into three main categories: 1) commercial, 2) traditional/cultural and finally the 3)"true meaning".  The first is Santa Claus, elves, toys North Pole and all that stuff based on a convoluted view of some Saint whose day was really early December but got mixed in with Christmas somehow. The reindeer and some objects are also merged from the next category, the traditional.  The traditional category are the trees, the evergreens, the garlands, ribbons (which represent that) and maybe even a few nice choir people and a church thrown in as a decoration. Much like Halloween, some of that has ancient Celtic ties. This in itself has to do with biblical prophecy about the house of Israel doing such things, but that's another story. Lastly there is the "true meaning" and needless to say that is about the birth of the Lord, shepherds, wise men, a star and any form of light.

Now that all said, some churches have an issue with the first two and the dating as December 25th was around a solstice. The Christians, so it is said (but not universally agreed upon) merged such celebrations of the sun god with the Son of God. That's what this thread is about. 

Some churches in the middle more denounced part of all that, namely category #1.  These are the "Jesus is the reason for the season" folks as they try to minimize excessive gift-giving and Santa Claus in favor of nativity sets and greenery and worshiping Christ, which is commendable.       

Now as for those erasing anything to do with Christianity, They would not tolerate category 3 at all, but would allow category 2 and for sure category 1.  To keep up with the times, Santa is even depicted lately as coming from various backgrounds to make all the kids supposedly comfortable.  This makes Santa a substitute Christ. This is what I would expect from a worldly system.

The whole subject is complex with many facets.  And this particular thread about the tree was going on for hundreds of years - not from the charged issues against Christianity of today. 

That's in nations that have somewhat of a Christian theology, quite a few places don't tolerate any category. even though some of it isn't totally correct totally gone would be disappointing.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

Your example is moot.

People don't worship Christmas trees or ornaments or eggnog or Santa Claus or peppermint sticks or presents or ugly Christmas sweaters or the song "Jingle Bells".

It's just a man-made tradition that has nothing to do with Christ.  

And YES, we all know that Jesus wasn't really born on the 25th and YES, we know that October 31 is Reformation Day.

If you want to put up a tree, please do.

If you don't, then don't,

The main issue I wanted to highlight was that people often practise these man-made traditions, without giving much thought as to whether or not the Lord wants us to (I say this from experience).  This should surely be the main issue, rather than merely saying that the practices are not forbidden.