farouk

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46
  • Days Won:  0

"Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies." (in Psalm 103:4)

So, from this I see that God gives us a crown not only as a reward of some status and of power for our own selves, but our crown has God's royal and all-loving authority with power to effect things and people the way Jesus Christ's "lovingkindness and tender mercies" can rule with compassion.

This is so better than how I might tend to want to self-righteously judge and control people.

Edited by com7fy8

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  162
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Birthday:  03/28/1967

3 hours ago, com7fy8 said:

but our crown has God's royal and all-loving authority with power to effect things and people the way Jesus Christ's "lovingkindness and tender mercies" can rule with compassion.

How like God to do that… kind of fits in with the paradox principle @George wrote about in this morning’s Worthy Brief. We get a crown as our reward but it is filled with the ability to serve others. I want that!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

Thanks for the postings, ppl...........

The Psalms seem inexhaustible.............

• Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

Psalm 42 (KJV)

1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. 

2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? 

3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? 

4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. 

5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. 

6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. 

7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. 

8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. 

9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 

10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? 

11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. 

• Loved it! 3

14 minutes ago, David1701 said:

Psalm 42 (KJV)

1 As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. 

2 My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God? 

3 My tears have been my meat day and night, while they continually say unto me, Where is thy God? 

4 When I remember these things, I pour out my soul in me: for I had gone with the multitude, I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept holyday. 

5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. 

6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me: therefore will I remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar. 

7 Deep calleth unto deep at the noise of thy waterspouts: all thy waves and thy billows are gone over me. 

8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. 

9 I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? 

10 As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God? 

11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. 

@David1701 I remember hearing an Anglican church version of this Psalm being sung.

Anglican versions of Psalmody have their own character,  different from the Scottish Presbyterian variety. (Each, striking in its way...)

1 hour ago, farouk said:

@David1701 I remember hearing an Anglican church version of this Psalm being sung.

Anglican versions of Psalmody have their own character,  different from the Scottish Presbyterian variety. (Each, striking in its way...)

I have sung some metrical Psalms (the Scottish Psaltery), in congregational worship, although not often (I'm not Presbyterian or Anglican).  I more often sing hymns or modern Christian songs.

50 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I have sung some metrical Psalms (the Scottish Psaltery), in congregational worship, although not often (I'm not Presbyterian or Anglican).  I more often sing hymns or modern Christian songs.

You can even get Bible editions with the Metrical Psalms bound in the same volume.

30 minutes ago, farouk said:

You can even get Bible editions with the Metrical Psalms bound in the same volume.

I used to have one, many years ago.  I miss it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.46

8 hours ago, David1701 said:

This is a quote of Psalm 42:7.

To me, this means that we can be in deep sharing and communication with God and each other, with His waves over us . . . protecting us and caring for us, sharing, refreshing.

So the waves of this world's troubling and bubbling do not decide how we are and what we do or where our attention goes.

• Praise God! 1

FYI @mrs. angela ...............