• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.49
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

11 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

I think that is correct - I certainly am not aware of his speaking being recorded in the bible any where . . .

Perhaps because he is unimportant in the Salvation story.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.17
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

9 minutes ago, Alive said:

Perhaps because he is unimportant in the Salvation story.

Perhaps.  But both he and Mary were in the kingly line of David.  But it is interesting that he's not quoted.

Perhaps this book will have some light to shed on him through other historical writers . . .

1 minute ago, Vine Abider said:

Perhaps.  But both he and Mary were in the kingly line of David.  But it is interesting that he's not quoted.

Perhaps this book will have some light to shed on him through other historical writers . . .

Oh I do not pretend to know, I just had the thought that Joseph was not His dad, but Mary was His mother.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's some interesting things about Joseph.  It is said that he was a carpenter, but the Greek word for that is "tekton." Tekton means a builder or artisan, not just a carpenter (and is where we get the word "technology").  And in that area there was supposedly not a lot of wood to work with.  Therefore, tekton could have also meant an artisan or builder in stone.  In fact, tekton is used in many ancient writings as someone who was a master stonemason or architect. 

Joseph taught Jesus the trade. The in Mark 6:3 it is said of Jesus that He was "the carpenter."  The definite article "the" appears here, meaning that Jesus was THE builder in that area.  It also probably means that Joseph was not around and perhaps died by then.

So the picture is that maybe Joseph and Jesus weren't exactly the poor carpenters they are usually made out to be.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Here's some interesting things about Joseph.  It is said that he was a carpenter, but the Greek word for that is "tekton." Tekton means a builder or artisan, not just a carpenter (and is where we get the word "technology").  And in that area there was supposedly not a lot of wood to work with.  Therefore, tekton could have also meant an artisan or builder in stone.  In fact, tekton is used in many ancient writings as someone who was a master stonemason or architect. 

Joseph taught Jesus the trade. The in Mark 6:3 it is said of Jesus that He was "the carpenter."  The definite article "the" appears here, meaning that Jesus was THE builder in that area.  It also probably means that Joseph was not around and perhaps died by then.

So the picture is that maybe Joseph and Jesus weren't exactly the poor carpenters they are usually made out to be.

Yup--I am aware of the meaning of carpenter back then and I agree they likely made a good living in building and repair. i liken it to how I was occupied for many years, both building, remodeling and repairing. There is always a need in any community and it is just how you conduct yourself honorably with your customers, that makes for success. I suspect Jesus and His family behaved in a manner pleasing to the Almighty.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:37 AM, Alive said:

Yup--I am aware of the meaning of carpenter back then and I agree they likely made a good living in building and repair. i liken it to how I was occupied for many years, both building, remodeling and repairing. There is always a need in any community and it is just how you conduct yourself honorably with your customers, that makes for success. I suspect Jesus and His family behaved in a manner pleasing to the Almighty.

Not actually a lot of wood in that area, so the word translated for "carpenter" (tekton) likely means builder and possibly stonemason. 

Reading now about the Magi.  The author gleans from scripture and historical writings that these guys were much more than we (or at least I) thought.  They were very likely influenced by Daniel and his writings, and therefore looking for the birth of the King.  They would also have given a substantial value in gifts, and this probably financed the family's three year trip to Egypt. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Not actually a lot of wood in that area, so the word translated for "carpenter" (tekton) likely means builder and possibly stonemason. 

Reading now about the Magi.  The author gleans from scripture and historical writings that these guys were much more than we (or at least I) thought.  They were very likely influenced by Daniel and his writings, and therefore looking for the birth of the King.  They would also have given a substantial value in gifts, and this probably financed the family's three year trip to Egypt. 

They were undoubtedly prepared by the Lord for their part in the account. I was reading Lukes geneology again this morning. Check out the end.

50 minutes ago, Alive said:

They were undoubtedly prepared by the Lord for their part in the account. I was reading Lukes geneology again this morning. Check out the end.

"the son of Adam, the son of God." (Luke 3:38)  This what you're referring to?

3 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

"the son of Adam, the son of God." (Luke 3:38)  This what you're referring to?

Yes! Full circle. The One who Created Adam the first, returns as Adam the Second to take responsibility for his redemption Himself.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Another historical discovery. (latest fad)  We will need to create some new Christmas songs to fit.

You are not the first one on this forum to suggest Jesus was a stone mason. Eventually the next generation will believe He wasn't a carpenter at all working with unavailable wood nor born in a wooden structure, but a hollowed out stone feed trough in a hallowed out mountain cave. Cool..

I did research in the past and found out for that area of the birth,  there actually many species of soft and hard woods, cypress and pine(SPF-spruce pine fir, one of the most used building material world wide) trees, to say nothing of Olive wood (Great for carving and beautiful.

Other wood (trees) in the scriptures. (They also had donkeys/camels to haul their building materials from distance if necessary)

"The beams of our house are cedar, our rafters are pine" 

"I will plant in the wilderness the cedar, the shittah tree, and the myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set in the desert the fir tree, and the pine, and the box tree together:"

When he heweth him down cedars, he taketh also a holm-oak and a terebinth he chooseth for himself among the trees of the forest: he planteth a pine, and the rain maketh it grow.

"The glory of Lebanon shall come unto thee, the fir tree, the pine tree, and the box together, to beautify the place of my sanctuary; and I will make the place of my feet glorious"

"They constructed all your planking with pine trees from Senir. They took a cedar from Lebanonto make a mast for you"

The cedars in God’s garden could not rival it;the pine trees couldn’t compare with its branches,nor could the plane trees match its boughs.No tree in the garden of God could compare with it in beauty.
Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/words/Pine

I think reading the above scriptures, you can get a feel how God must have enjoyed the beautiful wood he created for his use.
(My personal thoughts)

As a carpenter myself, having build wood Nativity scenes, I do not look forward to building/carving a Nativity scene made out of stone when the grand kids grow up and want grand pa to build one for them........face.jpg.12a77ff0c4811827819329faf532dd1d.jpg        Jesus was a carpenter.
He owns my our shop and tools. He knows/teaches me carpentry!!!...