IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,146
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

6 hours ago, farouk said:

Hi @kwikphilly

You're a mod, right?

If this thread has now run its course, why not close the thread now? :)

Because I'm tired of a Topic has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.....there's many discussions I personally have zero interest in though others seem to be ....

I'm part of oversight,the Ministry Team.Thats not my sole decision to make although I can suggest it to Administration Brother,as long as no one violates the Terms of Service then there's no reason for anyone to close a Thread- of course the OP can close it at anytime.We are not here to dictate what others want to talk about- that's not our purpose despite how we may feel personally.

I hope that answered your question-many members do not think this Topic belongs in General Discussion but might be better suited to Controversial Topics - I don't think its so controversial but I contributed my personal point of view on the subject many many pages ago..not everyone joins in when a thread first opens and thats a big part of why threads keep going- my being tired of a Topic would never determine how long a Thread is open- if it did then I would not belong on the Ministry Team imo

Enjoy 😀.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,575
  • Content Per Day:  12.11
  • Days Won:  31

3 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Because I'm tired of a Topic has nothing to do with the price of tea in China.....there's many discussions I personally have zero interest in though others seem to be ....

I'm part of oversight,the Ministry Team.Thats not my sole decision to make although I can suggest it to Administration Brother,as long as no one violates the Terms of Service then there's no reason for anyone to close a Thread- of course the OP can close it at anytime.We are not here to dictate what others want to talk about- that's not our purpose despite how we may feel personally.

I hope that answered your question-many members do not think this Topic belongs in General Discussion but might be better suited to Controversial Topics - I don't think its so controversial but I contributed my personal point of view on the subject many many pages ago..not everyone joins in when a thread first opens and thats a big part of why threads keep going- my being tired of a Topic would never determine how long a Thread is open- if it did then I would not belong on the Ministry Team imo

Enjoy 😀.

@kwikphilly Oh I see.....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Content Count:  18,146
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

2 minutes ago, farouk said:

@kwikphilly Oh I see.....

Good,always here to help or answer any questions if I can.You are always welcome to ask anything......👍❤️

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 7:09 AM, BibleStudent100 said:

Regarding addictions Farouk, it seems that doing anything in excess is wrong.  For example, we all know dedicated, hard-working ministers who tend to their spiritual flock with so many hours over so many years, that their own children are neglected and perhaps the needs of their wives as well.  The same could be said for Bible study: we could spend so many hours per month in this regard that we neglect our own health needs and the emotional and physical and financial needs of our family members.

So addiction is usually thought of negative things right out of the gate (e.g. alcohol, drugs, sex, etc.) but "addictions" could be positive but turn into negatives because of their consequences.

Hi @BibleStudent100 It's interesting that bropro above identifies this usage of the word 'addicted' in the NT:

Corinthians 16:15 (KJV)
15   I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,)

On 2/15/2023 at 11:50 PM, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

That kind of sounds like me a bit. I don't have any tattoos,  but I go out of my way to wear Christian clothing and wear a cross. I do it so people will notice and hopefully strike up a conversation. 

Hi @TrueFollowerOfChrist All the Christian young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked seem to have gone to the tattoo parlor because they wanted a conversation-starting witness tool.

It does not seem to have been driven by an attitude of addictive excess. More that they really wanted to strike up conversations about the Bible. Kind of, "Okay this is going to hurt a bit at first, but it's going to be worth it for the Bible-related conversations that are very likely to happen now."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,052
  • Content Per Day:  1.60
  • Days Won:  0

10 minutes ago, farouk said:

Hi @TrueFollowerOfChrist All the Christian young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have talked seem to have gone to the tattoo parlor because they wanted a conversation-starting witness tool.

It does not seem to have been driven by an attitude of addictive excess. More that they really wanted to strike up conversations about the Bible. Kind of, "Okay this is going to hurt a bit at first, but it's going to be worth it for the Bible-related conversations that are very likely to happen now."

When I was a new Christian,  I was very legalistic. I would walk around condemning people I thought had broken the laws in the Old Testament. One of my favorite judgements was with people with tattoos.  I'm still ashamed many years later that I judged these people so harshly. Now I try to complement any Christian tattoos I see.  They are indeed a wonderful witnessing tool. I wish I was brave enough to get one,  but I'm scared of needles. LOL.

39 minutes ago, TrueFollowerOfChrist said:

I try to complement any Christian tattoos I see.  They are indeed a wonderful witnessing tool. I wish I was brave enough to get one

@TrueFollowerOfChrist

What you say about tattoos, it seems like a lot of ppl feel exactly the same as you do and indeed are brave enough to go to the tattoo parlor. I saw this quote - anecdotal - from the Bible Belt:

Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

I've mentioned a young lady - modest and a bit shy - with whom my wife and I talked, who with all the wording of John 3.16 shot into her wrist area seemed to have a quiet joy in having become a tattooed woman witnessing her faith in the message of the Bible in this way.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:04 PM, ladypeartree said:

I can afford to give my children and grandchildren paper to draw on instead of needing to use skin

@ladypeartree Children grow up very quickly, don't they...? Your grandkids may not now be the age when real tattoos plowed into the dermis are often gotten...(but don't be shocked if such a day suddenly arrives....)

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  542
  • Content Count:  33,035
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  236
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Oh I do have a 30 year old granddaughter with some really silly tattoos They know my thoughts on it but they are responsible for their own choices  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

42 minutes ago, ladypeartree said:

Oh I do have a 30 year old granddaughter with some really silly tattoos They know my thoughts on it but they are responsible for their own choices  

@ladypeartree Oh well age-wise if she's 30, plenty old enough to contemplate tattoo parlor portfolios (though if so, hopefully they will want something tasteful, faith based, etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1