IGNORED

Addictions, bad and good........tattoos of Bible verses; thoughts?

farouk

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.81
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, farouk said:

@NConly Do you have any thoughts about the idea of a quote of words on their own? Bible verse, etc.

My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area.

Most of the tats I have seen are a picture of a relative and some words. It is easy to look and see a bible verse because they are like this, John 3.16. Most pic's imo did not have bible verse quotes. Although I have seen them Im sure some exist.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  98
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

29 minutes ago, farouk said:

@AnnaGrace Dispensationalists would tend to say that rather than the law being the rule of the New Testament believer's life, it is the Gospel that can be so described.

Verse 12 referred to in Hebrews 7, above, shows that the law was changed in any case; because the priesthood was changed; and so to put ppl back under the law takes them back to an obsolescent state of affairs.

Some Christians use faith based tattoos (Bible ref.s or verses, Christians fish sign <><, etc.) as witness tools. All the young ppl with Bible verses tattooed with whom I have spoken seem to have received them as witness tools.

The idea of a carved image on human skin being a witness tool for Christ is a bit silly. After all, the LORD GOD who forbade His people from cutting carved images onto their skin is the same LORD GOD we worship today. 

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” Hebrews 13:8

Gods nature didn’t change from the old covenant to the new covenant and neither did His holiness.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,398
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

15 minutes ago, AnnaGrace said:

The idea of a carved image on human skin being a witness tool for Christ is a bit silly. After all, the LORD GOD who forbade His people from cutting carved images onto their skin is the same LORD GOD we worship today. 

“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” Hebrews 13:8

Gods nature didn’t change from the old covenant to the new covenant and neither did His holiness.

@AnnaGrace I can see the point you are making. There is a sense also that God's blessing on His Word is not restricted to what is by ink on paper; a lot of Christians also receive Bible verse quotes as witness tools.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

48 minutes ago, farouk said:

@AnnaGrace I can see the point you are making. There is a sense also that God's blessing on His Word is not restricted to what is by ink on paper; a lot of Christians also receive Bible verse quotes as witness tools.

This has been a long thread that seems to be focused on justifying tattoos, which is what humans do when they feel they are in the wrong, but don't want to shoulder the guilt or blame for doing what is wrong.  They had tattoos back in Jesus day ... if it is so right, than why was He not plastered with them?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.81

On 4/28/2023 at 9:42 PM, farouk said:

Another thing is some read the verse as no cuttings or marks

At All anytime anywhere for any reason. That is not correct It clearly says For the dead.

1 hour ago, Tony the student said:

Forgive my intrusion. However, Father's laws and Christ's laws are one and the same. Jesus revealed love by never becoming lawless, even in the flesh. Jesus showed love by revealing there is only One God (the Holy One of Israel: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Jesus did not lie, cheat, steal, corrupt justice, display favoritism, lead others astray, etc. Jesus came to fulfill His role as the Prince of Peace, who is Son of Man and Son of God. Jesus is the living example of God's Laws. AnnaGrace was pointing us in the right direction: the Way of Father God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Do not believe me. Ask Father God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. Father never lies either. Amen.

Jesus Christ was God in the flesh. The crucifixion of Jesus was God condemning sin in the flesh (because Jesus was the perfect lamb of God). God is both lion and lamb; this is what was revealed to us in the person of Jesus. 

Isaiah 9:6 says, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty GodEverlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

The LORD GOD is one. 

20 hours ago, AnnaGrace said:

Jesus Christ was God in the flesh. The crucifixion of Jesus was God condemning sin in the flesh (because Jesus was the perfect lamb of God). God is both lion and lamb; this is what was revealed to us in the person of Jesus. 

Isaiah 9:6 says, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty GodEverlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

The LORD GOD is one. 

@AnnaGrace A wonderful verse there. The phrase 'Everlasting Father' there is a Hebraism - 'the father of eternity', referring to the eternal character of the Son.

These are wonderful truths.

(Maybe really good for another thread; we seem to have gotten a bit off topic....)

9 hours ago, farouk said:

The phrase 'Everlasting Father' there is a Hebraism - 'the father of eternity', referring to the eternal character of the Son

Respectfully, I believe it means what it says. The doctrine of the trinity is not biblical; the LORD GOD is one. 

57 minutes ago, AnnaGrace said:

Respectfully, I believe it means what it says. The doctrine of the trinity is not biblical; the LORD GOD is one. 

Father, Son and Holy Spirit - God in Three Persons - are overwhelmingly in Scripture, especially the New Testament: John's Gospel, John's First Epistle, Romans 8.

11 hours ago, farouk said:

Father, Son and Holy Spirit - God in Three Persons - are overwhelmingly in Scripture, especially the New Testament: John's Gospel, John's First Epistle, Romans 8.

Nor the word “trinity” or the concept of such appears in any of scripture.

Trinitarians make the assertion that said God is one, but in three persons. Basic math tells us that 1+1+1= 3 not 1.

The theologians who teach this false doctrine use it as a mean of complicating something that Jesus demonstrated wasn’t complicated at all. Man complicates and confuses; God doesn’t. Remember, Jesus told His disciples that unless they changed and humbled themselves like the little children, they wouldn’t enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.  (Matt 18:1-4)

God dwelt among, us in the flesh, in the person of Jesus Christ, who, as scriptures teach, was God in the flesh (hence why Jesus is the perfect Lamb OF God). Take a look at the very first thing Jesus says in response to the question of what the most important commandment was: 

28And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?”29Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 

Mark 12:28-29

He began His response with that sentence for a very important and specific purpose (as He did with everything else He said). Jesus, being God, knew a time would come when people wouldn’t endure sound teaching but would trade the purity & simplicity of God’s truth in for a corrupted lie made by man. Don’t be deceived my friend, God didn’t create the trinity - man did.