IGNORED

Crossroads. Travel, Dog, or Puppy. Crossroads. ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

You can " oi vey " all you like but someone has to speak up for all the precious little fur babies that cannot speak for themselves,there are people who take the responsibility of adopting a pet as seriously as people who adopt children,then there are others that have no idea what that entails- believe it,Ive had to re- home many a pet had on a whim

You said so yourself how difficult it is for you with many a situation,a pet will only complicate matters un-necessarily. You posted in " Looking for Advice" - this is my advice!

Um, Kwikphilly, WHAT, are you suggesting, My dear ? ? :groan:

Edited by believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,684
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

No animal should have to suffer.

Much time has been  spent on this message board  describing a dysfunctional home life and personal difficulties.

No animal will help that, and no animal should have to suffer under it. 

• Well Said! 2

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

1 hour ago, believeinHim said:

Um, Kwikphilly, WHAT, are you suggesting, My dear ? ? :groan:

I'm suggesting exactly what I've said" please,don't get a dog" and I gave the reasons I'd advise against bringing a pet into your home... ..I don't want to offend,I'm just very blunt in answering when folks state their reasons for wanting a pet,when the reasons range from anything except " to give an unwanted animal a forever home where he/or she could live their healthiest,happiest & longest life BECAUSE "I" am committed to providing the very best care for him/her then those are very wrong reasons .. sorry you are not happy with my response but it's from wisdom,experience & a lifetime of being pro-active😘

• Well Said! 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

I have to share something with you BiH,maybe it will help you understand my responses better ...

I've had animals my own entire life,I've cared for,trained and loved other people's animals as well,made a career of my passions and few could provide the care I do for my 4 little kitty cats ... Why do I stop there and no longer have any dogs ,horses,ferrets or any other creatures? Because physically I can no longer do what is required and also,at my age I hate to think of these babies out living me,which it's highly likely they will- I've made a trust for them and have changed it a couple of times because who I've named to see to their welfare cannot be counted on

I'm presently working on a 7yr old F1 feline who I took over the responsibility of and am working tirelessly to get him inside---- if you know anything about cats,most say F1's are impossible to domesticate ,except I don't,I've done it before but with one half his age

This guy has been outside by himself,any cats are a threat to his territory- no human socialization,no cat socialization! Imagine wandering by yourself for 7 yrs ,unsocialized!Someone had him captured(improperly) ,nuetered & released - released to nothing ( no colony)but a bowl of food in the bushes each night.

The person that did that claims to "love cats".... Seriously? Anyway,this person was leaving for 4 mos( at my Condo);& her neighbors don't like her-:she came to me to ":do something":about this little fellow!!!!! Ugggh-

It's been 6 months now,he comes running like a race horse from the bushes when I come out morning& night to get petted, see his 4 new friends and finally is eating his meals inside the house- can't keep him in YET because he gets very panicky still---- I hope he survives to make the transition...... Animals take commitment,love,patience,$$$,knowledge,kindness and no matter how you feel they are our responsibility,rain,snow or sleet .....my point is,it's hard work 24/7

With love in Christ,Kwik

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's 3 of my 4 inside,that Max, Sami and Bella at the far end.... Graycie is with me watching TV IMG_20230210_132259496.jpg.05e453b32432f1fcfd8a0db61ca2a243.jpg

IMG_20230210_132624303.jpg

• Loved it! 2

And here's Timmy,the feral

He is with his first friend,Samimage.jpg.737a3823960f37e02fb6c64e7492ef36.jpg

• Loved it! 1

Many pet stores work with the shelters and have animals ( cats & dogs) they put up for adoption( PetSmart,Petco,Pet Supermarket) ... They count on volunteers to clean the cages ,feed and " handle" these animals....the shelters depend on volunteers too,especially for socialization to help get pets " adoptable"..... Volunteer,as others suggested - you can get your fill of the fun part( cuddles & playtime) when you feel up to it with no strings attached and be helping the cause

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,026
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,358
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

13 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, My own little buddy adopted me. He was in the woods, a puppy curled up inside a cold coil of rubber house at the abandoned cabin next to ours.  It was very cold out. I spent three hours getting him to come to  me by placing bits of food behind me while facing away from him. He was so hungry eventually he came and ate, and then came up close behind my back. He has never left. He is like a shadow. Fun little guy at 20 pounds and thinks he is 12 feet tall and bullet proof. He is just at my side even now.He is about three years old now I guess.

At my age I did not want another pet in my life. Didn't want to walk an animal, nor care for one, nor pay vets for their services, nor get licenses, and certainly didn't want to be cleaning up after any animal that can't flush a toilet itself, LOL But there he is ,a great treat that comes with an absolute responsibility to pay for his care and give him care too.

Vet costs are way astronomical these days! Dog food is expensive, even a leash and collar are expensive.  A harness  more than I pay for my own coat. Animals are an expensive treat for sure. Golden retrievers are very nice, but high energy animals that cost $2000 to $3000 dollars training can cost a whole lot more on top of that. Labs are way too powerful if one is not agile  and strong themself.

However there is Southeastern Guide Dogs out of Florida that may be a very good information resource. https://www.guidedogs.org

And yes I am recommending caring for an animal or thinking at least about having to give it exercise every single day and that does include picking up after it everyday.

So mornings when at the woods and it is 16 degrees out with wind blowing and the dog needs his "exercise" I do think why did I ever feed this little guy that first time.  At this point it just doesn't matter he is mine to care for and he cares for me back. With privilege comes responsibility and responsibility must be tended, always!

Much like what God has for us too I suppose. Privilege and responsibility. Over the years We have had giant dogs great danes, dobies, a Siberian  husky that I still think was a wolf, and a couple of beagles.

Every animal has been work work to do everyday.

This little rat terrier is  a nice change of pace though, very loyal like a beagle, but a hunter like a fox. He goes for what is beneath the ground. And he is a very good alert dog, he whispers a grrr if he hears something that is foreign to our own comfort zone.  When there is a bear about, or a leopard, he alerts differently than if there is a deer. He communicates then with his ears, bending and tipping them differently but consistently at each different potential threat he wants to communicate about to me.

Lot of work though!

That's so sweet and kind...how you got your little guy!   Just curious, does your wife still have her cat?   If so, do dog and cat get along?

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,684
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

58 minutes ago, Debp said:

That's so sweet and kind...how you got your little guy!   Just curious, does your wife still have her cat?   If so, do dog and cat get along?

Yes we still have her cat (ours now) which is now  18 years old.

No they do not get along at all! When we travel though they settle into their own cages in the vehicle and ignore each other simply happy to be included in the trip; but I even have to get two rooms at hotels because of them. she can still hurt him and i am afraid he can kill her if they tangled. At home we keep them in totally separate portions.

Things we do because of animals- wonder who rules whom sometimes.

I get really stuffed up around cats  so though I do pet her to let her know she is safe around me, I can't really spend time with the cat like I do the dog who is almost always by  my side trying to figure how to con me into yet another dog treat for the day or on a second walk. He has a wooden chair with his own bed size pillow at my desk where he is now, as I type. Pretty soon he will cover his head with a blanket work to get one ear out from under it and go asleep.

When we are active he generally knows to say on my left so I know the little guy is underfoot and where. He is a character.

God blesses and with the blessing comes responsibility; for both human and animal I guess

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

10 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Yes we still have her cat (ours now) which is now  18 years old.

No they do not get along at all! When we travel though they settle into their own cages in the vehicle and ignore each other simply happy to be included in the trip; but I even have to get two rooms at hotels because of them. she can still hurt him and i am afraid he can kill her if they tangled. At home we keep them in totally separate portions.

Things we do because of animals- wonder who rules whom sometimes.

I get really stuffed up around cats  so though I do pet her to let her know she is safe around me, I can't really spend time with the cat like I do the dog who is almost always by  my side trying to figure how to con me into yet another dog treat for the day or on a second walk. He has a wooden chair with his own bed size pillow at my desk where he is now, as I type. Pretty soon he will cover his head with a blanket work to get one ear out from under it and go asleep.

When we are active he generally knows to say on my left so I know the little guy is underfoot and where. He is a character.

God blesses and with the blessing comes responsibility; for both human and animal I guess

Downy fabric softener- I learned about Downy 50 yrs ago volunteering at pet shelters,many family pets( especially cats)were abandoned because some family member had allergies

I'll make a long story short,you can allergy proof your pets!!! Take it from someone who had severe dander allergies( that's what triggers your production of histininies,not the animal or it's fur)

Take a quarter or half cup of Downy( Downy,not generic fabric softeners),cover the bottom of sink or tub with lukewarm water,sit animal in it and wet entire body,head( try not to get it in their little eyes) and then rinse lightly.... This removes all dander,is not harmful to the animal &:everyone lives happily ever after- Downy as needed & brush, brush,brush your pets- their natural skin oils remove dander wonderfully by brushing it through the fur!

I used to do my horses as well,I had the most beautifully fragrant horses in the barn! Lol

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1