JimmyB

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,628
  • Content Per Day:  1.15
  • Days Won:  0

I read several translations of the Bible.  Each has their assets and their shortcomings, but in general I prefer the NRSVue, the NIV, the NET and the NLT. I find them to be a good balance between translating the ancient languages into modern English and still retaining the "flavor" of the source languages. They are all the results of excellent scholarship and sensitivity to the nuances of both the source and destination languages.

I am interested in which translations others prefer, and why.  -> KJVOs please desist from claiming that the KJV is the word of God <-  If that is your preferred translation, fine, but please state your reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.73
  • Days Won:  1

I usually compare multiple translations when meaning of a verse or scripture isn't readily apparent to me in the one I first read it in.

I don't really have a favorite one.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

My favorite changes. Sometimes I like the mkjv, sometimes the esv. When I study I tend to use multiple translations, kjv and septuagint as well as nasb, mkjv, esv etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  233
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Birthday:  10/20/1957

2 hours ago, JimmyB said:

I read several translations of the Bible.  Each has their assets and their shortcomings, but in general I prefer the NRSVue, the NIV, the NET and the NLT. I find them to be a good balance between translating the ancient languages into modern English and still retaining the "flavor" of the source languages. They are all the results of excellent scholarship and sensitivity to the nuances of both the source and destination languages.

I am interested in which translations others prefer, and why.  -> KJVOs please desist from claiming that the KJV is the word of God <-  If that is your preferred translation, fine, but please state your reason.

My favorite go to is and has been for a long time the NIV.  I like the fact that it is very readable English and still true to the original meanings.

However, I also use several translations and sometimes many to get clarity and meaning.

Any accurate interpretation is more readily available if  several translations are consulted.

1 hour ago, BibleWords said:

My favorite go to is and has been for a long time the NIV.  I like the fact that it is very readable English and still true to the original meanings.

However, I also use several translations and sometimes many to get clarity and meaning.

Any accurate interpretation is more readily available if  several translations are consulted.

I have two NIVs.  The original that I bought in 1978 and the most recent one, copyright 2011.  I read them both.   I also use several other translations.

2 hours ago, ayin jade said:

My favorite changes. Sometimes I like the mkjv, sometimes the esv. When I study I tend to use multiple translations, kjv and septuagint as well as nasb, mkjv, esv etc.

Do you have the septuagint in English?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

21 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

There used to be a great site that had the kjv and septuagint (in english) side by side. It is no longer available. The most of the other septuagint in english sites do not have psalm 151.

This is the one I currently use. 

https://ebible.org/eng-Brenton/

20 hours ago, ayin jade said:

There used to be a great site that had the kjv and septuagint (in english) side by side. It is no longer available. The most of the other septuagint in english sites do not have psalm 151.

This is the one I currently use. 

https://ebible.org/eng-Brenton/

I just bought the Kindle version of the Septuagint for $1.99!  

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,514
  • Content Per Day:  12.15
  • Days Won:  31

On 5/18/2023 at 2:56 PM, BibleWords said:

I do prefer the KJV in English. For study, a more formal version can be useful. Some of the newer versions come across as more free-flowing when it comes to narrative, but for phrase by phrase study a more formal version can be helpful, imho.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,225
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

On 5/18/2023 at 2:53 PM, JimmyB said:

I have one in hardcover. Very handy.

As a rule I prefer the NASB because it references the Septuagint, Dead Sea scrolls, as well as texts used by other translations in the footnotes. Alternative renderings of words and phrases are also provided in those footnotes when applicable.

However, I'm not passionate regarding translations. The NET is a good one! So is the NIV. :)

• Thumbs Up 2