• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

14 minutes ago, Slibhin said:

I know what it means. His original statement was "no workee no eatee", before snarking about "bleeding hearts" taking away his money. I asked if your bible promotes letting people starve, which was a sincere question. He made several quotes about laziness, which isn't what I asked, then I followed by asking him what mechanism your bible provides that allows him to determine who won't work and who is in need without error. I noticed that he and the few of you who chose to answer did not address this question and instead talked about laziness, which is not what I asked.

In the Torah we are required to leave food which anyone can take without having to ask, which is in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Today we have something called "Tzedakah" which roughly translates to "justice/righteous". This is a percentage of our income we are required to give to charitable causes like feeding the poor and it's not optional. This is based on the aforementioned laws in the Torah.

So, if your bible teaches "no workee no eatee" that's a pretty blatant contradiction of G-d's own decree, hence why I really wanted to know this.

Enabling slothfulness is certainly contrary to the Will of God, hence the call to discipline slackers.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

12 hours ago, Slibhin said:

I didn't ask what the Tanakh says about laziness. I asked what mechanism the bible gives for Sower to determine without error who is and isn't in need. he made a very flip comment "no workee no eatee" and then snarked about "bleeding hearts" "picking his pocket". I was just clarifying if your bible teaches the principle of "no workee no eatee" and "you bleeding hearts keep your hands off my money".

In the Torah we are required to feed the poor and to treat them well, whether we like it or not. Seems like quite a reversal of policy.

"no workee, no eatee" is a tongue in cheek paraphrase of what someone already quoted on page 1 of this thread of what the apostle Paul wrote in one of his letters to the early church.

And yes, stealing from someone else's pockets is certainly not encouraged in the word of God.

I think we need to distinguish between the duty of governments as opposed to the duty of believers as individuals.  Governments have a duty to the citizens who hire (elect) and pay them to administrate in the best interests of those citizens and their nation first and foremost.  But of course as individuals and indeed as the body of the Messiah/Saviour we have a duty to help the poor in general.  (But not those who are perfectly capable to work to feed themselves but are simply unwilling to make the effort.  And personally I believe that group makes up a small minority of the poor.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, Slibhin said:

When the lack of an answer is an answer.

It sounds like you would really benefit from getting to know the scriptures better.  For starters I would suggest doing a word search on the word sluggard in the book of proverbs.  As well as considering other scriptures that others have already been posted.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,332
  • Content Per Day:  2.81
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Debp said:

Just for clarification for @Slibhin

I believe the above verse is referring to able-bodied people that refuse to work.   It's not meaning the poor in unfortunate circumstances, nor the ill, nor the elderly.

being financially poor does not make one unable to work. I know I was working at 13 years old. If one is physically able to work they should work.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

10 hours ago, Slibhin said:

Okay we're going in circles

It worked for Joshua and Israel at Jericho . . .

• Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  4,271
  • Content Per Day:  4.95
  • Birthday:  06/03/1955

Isn't this thread supposed to be about illegal immigration and it's effect on public resources?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  392
  • Content Per Day:  1.01

7 hours ago, Rick-Parker said:

Isn't this thread supposed to be about illegal immigration and it's effect on public resources?

Maybe, it's a secret battle of Replacement Theology, the Immigrant, kind of way :guns: 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,595
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, Rick-Parker said:

Hi, Not if you go by my opening  post it is not. However threads wander some as individuals think  upon them, and that is fine, least it is with me.

Far as I know the thread opened with a personal observation while on a local  outing with my bride. My own wife amazes me with her ability to relate, kindly, with total strangers, speaking a language or versions of it that I cannot comprehend.

Ha, I Guess as I think about it the America's Indians should have stuck to their spears and said stay in Europe and fix things right there for yourself do not come here and change our land and our ways to suit your need.

Then all would be well in the America's eh? But that is not the way  it is, and I have to live best as I can  within the way  it is. There is an awful invasion occurring, not just  at the borders of the USA, but around much of the world!

Within the greater context of the big world picture I do have to live one on one with whomever I come in contact with, doing so in a manner that does no shame to my Lord's Glory first and foremost.

So I can hate that there is invasion worldwide and yet  find I also need treat every individual in the manner I think my Lord and savior Yeshua demands of me. And not for my comfort necessarily, but in spite of my discomfort.

I need trust in my Lord. He has never failed me, never. My own knowledge may be limited, and my faith also may be weak, but my Lord is strong and his faith is power, awesome power!

I will evidently have to suffer the invasion, all while being privileged to tend to duty in the name of Yeshua including giving a cup of cool water  and a kind word to an "invader'.

Seems one on one is where the rubber meets the road for me.  The bigger national picture, not so much; and yes that is conflicting.