IGNORED

Tattoo Removal ~ ~ Ethics of Tattoo Removal ~ ~ Is it more Painful than Tattoos, And is it something a Christian at heart should Prayerfully Consider ? ? ?

believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,470
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

On 7/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, choir loft said:

Do not ...  put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD." (Leviticus 19:28)

TATTOOS are forbidden by God!!!

I don't have any tattoos . . . but I've eaten a number of the forbidden things in Leviticus chapter 11, including shell fish and pork.  I don't know how profitable it is for believers to be looking to follow ordinances in the law.  Post resurrection, the Lord told Peter to "Rise, kill and eat" a lot of those things mentioned in Leviticus.

I'm certainly not advocating people getting tattoos, by any means, but following regulations from Leviticus might not be a the best thing for a new creation (us believers) in the new covenant.  "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."  (2 Cor 3:6)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.72
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

............ I've eaten a number of the forbidden things in Leviticus chapter 11, including shell fish and pork.

Shellfish and pork won't send you to hell, in fact they'll probably help you get to heaven sooner.

• Haha 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,558
  • Content Per Day:  12.21
  • Days Won:  31

16 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

I don't have any tattoos . . . but I've eaten a number of the forbidden things in Leviticus chapter 11, including shell fish and pork.  I don't know how profitable it is for believers to be looking to follow ordinances in the law.  Post resurrection, the Lord told Peter to "Rise, kill and eat" a lot of those things mentioned in Leviticus.

I'm certainly not advocating people getting tattoos, by any means, but following regulations from Leviticus might not be a the best thing for a new creation (us believers) in the new covenant.  "The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life."  (2 Cor 3:6)

@Vine Abider

In January, a Godly young woman and an earnest young man are welcomed to regular fellowship at a local church. They show interest in the Word and prove helpful and respectful to others among the believers.

By May or June.....it's warmer and, guess what? they start wearing shorter sleeved clothes...and guess what else? Their tattoos - a Bible quote and a Christian fish sign <>< - become visible.

(Perhaps fiction, but a scenario that could be repeated over and over.....)

It would be unthinkable for these young ppl suddenly to become supposed pariahs overnight because the warm weather has come, simply because they don't fit someone's conception of putting people back under the law.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Debp said:

Often the gang members have many, many tattoos.... sometimes covering all of the face and neck.   So for regular employment, it's necessary to remove them.

@Debp Yes, those kinds of placement - and possibly their designs also - can be really, really problematic. Sounds like when they can be removed the person will be in a better position in the workplace, potentially.

Like, it's not every tattoo, though.

A while ago, godlywoman413 explained her situation:

godlywoman413 said:

"I have some tattoos that I had gotten as a younger person. Mine are not anything questionable."

It's a situation that could be repeated over and over, in the way explained by godlywoman413.

But yes those really 'in your face' gang-style designs can be really problematic and I reckon those ex-gang members would be really grateful to have them removed.

( cc @Vine Abider )

• Thumbs Up 1

@NConly Seems like for this thread ppl sometimes lean towards the idea of tattoo removal.

Well, it depends what the tattoos are, really, IMHO.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  202
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,470
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

41 minutes ago, farouk said:

@NConly Seems like for this thread ppl sometimes lean towards the idea of tattoo removal.

Well, it depends what the tattoos are, really, IMHO.

Personally, I don't care much for tattoos and don't have any.  (back in the folly of my youth, tattoos were viewed as a means to better ID you, if you know what I mean)  However, whether a believer removes them or not means nothing in the new covenant - let their own inner Anointing dictate that decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Personally, I don't care much for tattoos and don't have any.  (back in the folly of my youth, tattoos were viewed as a means to better ID you, if you know what I mean)  However, whether a believer removes them or not means nothing in the new covenant - let their own inner Anointing dictate that decision.

@Vine Abider Some believers might be thinking in terms of tattoo removal; others definitely would not.

For example, when I talked separately with a young man and a young woman who had both earnestly gotten the entire wording of John 3.16 rammed painstakingly into their arms, it was likely that they had been overjoyed to be able to witness in their simple way once they had become a tattooed man and a tattooed woman.

One can almost hear this young woman talking when she comments earnestly and cheerfully about going to the tattoo parlor:

I’m pretty sure being heavily tattooed at this point is a job requirement. ..Every single nurse I know w the exception of the older lady who precepted me (but she’s like 60 so she gets a pass ) has tattoos.
reddit dot com

So some new Christians might indeed be thinking of tattoo removal, but certainly not others.

Depends on the associations, really, right?

• Interesting! 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  432
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,219
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Personally, I don't care much for tattoos and don't have any.  (back in the of my youth, tattoos were viewed as a means to better ID you, 

This is I guess what I was and am trying to convey, And Worthy, I sincerely wanted my other reply and response to farouk put through. There was no criticism at all in the post. I wanted that post put through. :emot-questioned:

Edited by believeinHim

@NConly I do think that Christians should really be left alone by others to decide whether any of their own tattoos should be removed, right?

Some really conservative folk seem to have a lot of zeal against other ppl's tattoos.

@Debp Thanks for the 'like' just now.

It's true indeed that in some countries such as Japan tattoos are rather strongly identified with gang membership and seem to be widely frowned upon (and thus the issue of their removal arises).

In other jurisdictions and cultures, if the tattoo is not clearly related to gangs, the issue of removal may not arise nearly as much.

This, for example, about tattooing, was on another site, about what would be regarded as a wholesome demographic, for whom visiting the tattoo parlor (for non-facial designs) would simply be something that they might expect to do in a straightforward way:

"I would be hard-pressed to come up with more than a handful of names of my friends who DON'T have at least one tattoo--and we are all suburban homeschooling moms, ages ranging from early-30s to mid-50s, living in conservative North Texas." greenvneck forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com