IGNORED

A Culture of Death - anybody else see this?

Vine Abider

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  203
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,476
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

As I drive around, it amazes me the number of symbolic death references we have in our society! Skulls and skull & crossbones appear on vehicles in prominent places and also on clothing, buildings, etc.  There's also many drawings of zombies or demons or dragons . . . it's all over the place!  Ever notice this?  :th_praying:

The images of the skulls and skeletons and other references to death can get quite stylized and fancy . . . dare I say almost like idols?  And in many cultures around the world, there are various holidays celebrating death, dead loved ones or dead spirits.  (Here in the US we have the ever-so-strange Halloween.)  :noidea:

It's weird to see all these death and hell references around.  People, in the US at least, seem to think it's kinda cool.  I guess displaying these images shows that they have no fear and/or trying to convey that, "You'd better not mess with me, because I'm fearless and don't even fear death itself!" (yeah right!)

Of course, as Christians we know how sad this is, if this person is brought down to death without receiving the Savior, the One who overcame death.  They just don't know what they're doing, and need to be told about the One that loves them and can release them from the power of death! :6:

Does this upset anyone else? (and maybe "upset" is too strong a word . . . at the least it's an ongoing curiosity/bothering to me)

Edited by Vine Abider
Clarity & a couple additions
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.94
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

9 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

As I drive around, it amazes me the number of symbolic death references we have in our society! Skulls and skull and crossbones appear on vehicles in prominent places and also on clothing, buildings, etc.  Also drawings of zombies or demons or dragons . . . It's all over the place!  Ever notice this?  :th_praying:

The images of the skulls and skeletons and other references to death can get quite stylized and fancy.  And in many cultures around the world, there are various holidays celebrating death or dead spirits.  (Here in the US we have Halloween.)  :noidea:

It's weird to see all these references.  People, in the US at least, seem to think it's cool.  I guess it's showing that they have no fear and/or you better not mess with me, because I'm fearless and don't even fear death. (yeah right!)

Of course, as Christians we know how sad this is, if this person is brought down to death without receiving the Savior . . .  They just don't know what they're doing, and need to be told about the One that loves them and can release them from the power of death! :6:

Isaiah 28:

15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

18 And your covenant with death shall be dis-annulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Mr. M said:

Isaiah 28:

15 Because ye have said, We have made a covenant with death, and with hell are we at agreement; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, it shall not come unto us: for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves:

16 Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.

17 Judgment also will I lay to the line, and righteousness to the plummet: and the hail shall sweep away the refuge of lies, and the waters shall overflow the hiding place.

18 And your covenant with death shall be dis-annulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.

Wow - quite the set of verses . . . thanks for posting!

And these mention "hell."  Hell is another one of the other "death icons" that is often seen.  Again, it seems to be cool to mock any fear of God or His judgments.  Oh Lord - open their eyes!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.32
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.94
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

4 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

Wow - quite the set of verses . . . thanks for posting!

And these mention "hell."  Hell is another one of the other "death icons" that is often seen.  Again, it seems to be cool to mock any fear of God or His judgments.  Oh Lord - open their eyes!

Revelation 20:

13 The sea gave up the dead who were in it, 

and Death and Hades delivered up the dead who were in them. 

And they were judged, each one according to his works. 

14 Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. 

This is the second death. 

15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life 

was cast into the lake of fire.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Vine Abider changed the title to A Culture of Death - anybody else see this?

I changed the title and did a little post edit or two - really curious if anybody else wonders about this . . .

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Does this upset anyone else? (and maybe "upset" is too strong a word . . . at the least it's an ongoing curiosity/bothering to me)

I feel differently about it based on the imagery/occasion in question. I've always been on the morbid and gloomy side, even as a kid, and spent a lot of time admiring cemeteries and reading the inscriptions. In and of itself death related imagery doesn't really bother me. Remembering that we can and will die and that it's largely out of our own hands can be a good thing and a motivator, both spiritually and from a purely worldly perspective.

9 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

The images of the skulls and skeletons and other references to death can get quite stylized and fancy . . . dare I say almost like idols? 

I'd personally not make much of this in and of itself. Fancy art does not an idol make. What people do with it does. What I think a lot of people do with the death related imagery isn't  anything idolatrous, but rather an attempt to look tough or edgy. Pretty much what you said in your post. I share the skepticism that they're not afraid to die, too. It's easy to say that when it's distant from you. But when it's close at hand and you realize what you're about to lose it's going to hit people hard emotionally more often than not.

I do see the demon related imagery as a separate matter entirely, along with some of the death related holidays. Some of the Asian holidays surrounding the dead very much fall under the heading of worship of or attempting to communicate with the dead. Obvious bad ideas there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

13 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Does this upset anyone else

Yes, and I abhor the halloween crap and all that decaying bluster.

The Lord Yeshua (Jesus) redeems us from the horrendous claims that death has upon us all. 

Perhaps if many would put down their media devices and other 'noises' they migh hear the voice of the Lord warning them about the pit they are about to step into. It is not a video game and you do not get a second and third try at life. Once you go down you stay down unless the Lord Jesus plucks you out and saves you.

We have all been warned...:wub:

"Why will you die? I have no pleasure in the death of anyone." Says the Lord High God.

• Thumbs Up 4

I am offended every time I hear God's name used as a cuss word. It makes me cringe and I hope and pray I don't ever lose that feeling.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

No, You are absolutely correct. Some have said, Well if you are not going to have Halloween, You should not have Christmas. There are several reasons why Halloween is not like, And is even the exact opposite of Christmas.

When churches started participating in Halloween, as an, 'alternative', to celebrating Halloween, It just felt like an acceptance, Or a celebrating of Halloween. I could go on, But that's just what it felt like.

Christmas processes in kids' heads entirely differently than in adults' heads, as well. There are books about the benefits of letting a kid celebrate Christmas, I don't know if any of them say about Halloween.

Yes, Skull and crossbones, However I will admit to having a weak spot for Avril Lavigne, and the pop punk side of things.

I will definitely admit to having a soft spot for as the likes of Avril Lavigne, and the punk pop side of things. There are also bands such as Skillet, and etc,

But, No, Skull and crossbones are not my thing, :43:

Edited by believeinHim
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,681
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

17 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

As I drive around, it amazes me the number of symbolic death references we have in our society! Skulls and skull & crossbones appear on vehicles in prominent places and also on clothing, buildings, etc.  There's also many drawings of zombies or demons or dragons . . . it's all over the place!  Ever notice this?  :th_praying:

The images of the skulls and skeletons and other references to death can get quite stylized and fancy . . . dare I say almost like idols?  And in many cultures around the world, there are various holidays celebrating death, dead loved ones or dead spirits.  (Here in the US we have the ever-so-strange Halloween.)  :noidea:

It's weird to see all these death and hell references around.  People, in the US at least, seem to think it's kinda cool.  I guess displaying these images shows that they have no fear and/or trying to convey that, "You'd better not mess with me, because I'm fearless and don't even fear death itself!" (yeah right!)

Of course, as Christians we know how sad this is, if this person is brought down to death without receiving the Savior, the One who overcame death.  They just don't know what they're doing, and need to be told about the One that loves them and can release them from the power of death! :6:

What  is evil also presents opportunity- to share of the gospel of Jesus. To be in  prayer for very  specific individuals and groups. So upset?  No, Grateful? Yes. 

The very symbols and practices one comes across might also scream out; you, you there, you are needed here! Come, please come and give testimony in word and deed of your creator and your source of hope that  is certain within you.

Being upset might be the beginning of awareness that the Holy Spirit is calling. Some  do get called and moved, to places as diverse as Sandy Hook Cn., Benin, Nassau,  Papua New Guinea, and even Palos Verdes Ca. There is both evil and opportunity most everywhere.

Us just pointing is not a response, not really, to a call from the Holy Spirit. It is merely a beginning observation, least it seems that way to me as I see by comparison people  of all ages even geezers go where called to at least be helpful support to Christ's troops on the ground all over this earth.  

Yes that awareness is also to be seen in the mirror and the call is either responded to  or ignored by each of us if and when we are called. Be the warriors God intended us to be is a hard slogan, but wow what fun once grasped onto. To enter the fray of spiritual warring where the victory is not so much in defeat of another person  but instead the freeing of them from their plight. Being used of the Holy Spirit wow awesome joy, even when it hurts one's own physical body and it's own "loves".

• Well Said! 1