• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  775
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/05/1962

1 minute ago, FJK said:

What did God create from then, (according to scripture of course)?

Perhaps He wasn't aware of the limitations people would put on His authority.  When He said "Let there be...." I guess what He really meant was "Let's make something out of that eternal material that was already there and has neither beginning nor end."

What's really mazing is the lengths people will go to to deny His Word and His authority.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

3 minutes ago, FJK said:

What did God create from then, (according to scripture of course)?

Scripture does not say. God breathed into the scripture for our edification toward good works. It is not meant to be used for creating a natural theology that seems to only promote the wrong spirit though never ending contention.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.63
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, RV_Wizard said:

What's really mazing is the lengths people will go to to deny His Word and His authority.

I've sort of noticed that, and always wondered why.

But that would be a different discussion, one that could go on for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

Scripture does not say. God breathed into the scripture for our edification toward good works. It is not meant to be used for creating a natural theology that seems to only promote the wrong spirit though never ending contention.

If the Scripture does not say it (actually it does but that's a different matter) then perhaps we should not discuss it?

To think that man can define something God has not already defined for us is ridiculous.  We're what was created, not that which created it.

10 minutes ago, FJK said:

To think that man can define something God has not already defined for us is ridiculous.  We're what was created, not that which created it.

There is a line of thinking that is hundreds of years old called Natural Theology. I am not saying I support it, but it fulfills a causal need for revealing God's glory though observations in nature. The original tenet is to confront atheist only and refrain from internal bickering. I think it is a personal journey that need not be shared.

Edited by Scott Free

52 minutes ago, FJK said:

I've sort of noticed that, and always wondered why.

The authority of God's Word is not in question. The problem is that literal interpretation of the English translation presents an inconsistent hermeneutics. Why should I give you a pass to only pick and choose scripture that agrees with your narrative?  

Edited by Scott Free

9 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

Why should I give you a pass to only pick and choose scripture that agrees with your narrative?  

Where are you saying I have done this, and what scripture am I ignoring when I do?

Just now, FJK said:

Where are you saying I have done this, and what scripture am I ignoring when I do?

This ancient Hebrew view of creation is consistent with Bible scripture as your literal interpretation dictates. A sound doctrine would not to pick and choose what it should believe. Leaving all this out of your teaching causes doubt on the validity of this approach. The Gospel of Jesus does not need extraneous information added to it.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I do not see the part where scripture is for learning natural theology to equip for works of contention.

main-qimg-1a34cd7a1d71244bb9555644edf00521.png

2 minutes ago, Scott Free said:

This ancient Hebrew view of creation is consistent with Bible scripture as your literal interpretation dictates. A sound doctrine would not to pick and choose what it should believe. Leaving all this out of your teaching causes doubt on the validity of this approach. The Gospel of Jesus does not need extraneous information added to it.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I do not see the part where scripture is for learning natural theology to equip for works of contention.

main-qimg-1a34cd7a1d71244bb9555644edf00521.png

That isn't making any sense to me as an answer to my question, I was wondering where I was picking and choosing and what, by implication, I was ignoring.

This is pretty important to me, I find it necessary to have input from others as a check on my personal thinking to keep from drifting into self affirming error (which is why I am in the forum).

(FWIW, I am no scholar at all in either Hebrew or Greek and not qualified to debate the subtleties of the words that were used in them.)

Just now, FJK said:

That isn't making any sense to me as an answer to my question, I was wondering where I was picking and choosing and what, by implication, I was ignoring.

Your intrinsic understanding of what the Bible says should make it obvious. I am regarding you as a scholar and should not have to write an essay to introduce you to these elementary principles. Anyway, I am too lazy, while not really concerned if you take this in or not.