tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I wanted to share this particular set of verses, in hopes that I would have confirmation from others who are in the Word.

The particular verse this stems from is Luke 16:16 with strong emphasis on the word "presseth". I have had this verse in mind and study for 3 years now, and this morning I received a new understanding on it, and wanted to share it. I found it very interesting, due to the correlation with the number 10. This verse was first brought to my attention amidst a very indepth study of the 10 Commandments.

Luke 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it. 17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail. 18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

presseth

Strongs #971

to use force, to apply force

to force, inflict violence on

Also in Matthew 11:12

And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force.

See Exodus 19:21, 19:24

17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail

tittle

Strongs #2762

a little horn

extremity, apex, point

used by grammarians of the accents and diacritical points. Jesus used it of the little lines or projections, by which the Hebrew letters in other respects similar differ from one another; the meaning is, "not even the minutest part of the law shall perish".

From the original word:

kevra

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  276
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Ummm,

Too many thoughts at one time, but I'll give it a try....

Many in history have used their so-called knowledge of God to control the masses. Most likely the work of satan to bring doubt to the believers and destroy their faith. A tactic that mankind is all too eager to embrace.

The anti-christ will actually proclaim himself God when he no longer needs the kings and nations of the earth to support him.

Many need instant gratification and maybe do try to force their way to heaven, not wanting to bother with the little details that God requires.

God wants us to trust in Him and not regard our own hearts. Something that most cannot comprehend. If mankind cannot understand something, they will twist it into something that fits in their eyes.

These are just random thoughts. Not much time to play tonight.

Hope it helps.

t.

Thank you for your reply ted,

I understand that this might have been confusing to reply to, and even if there are no more responses, that's quite alright. I was just putting this out to see if anyone understood, and if not, then it is not meant to be.

I did want to respond to what you wrote though, because whether you realized it or not, you confirmed some of what I was posting.

Many in history have used their so-called knowledge of God to control the masses.

That is pretty much the picture of the Pharisee, that I mentioned. They were in power, because they boasted in God, but did not really believe, they did love the money and prestige though.

Luke 16:14 14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous heard all these things: and they derided him.

Many need instant gratification and maybe do try to force their way to heaven, not wanting to bother with the little details that God requires.

18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Could those little details be the 10 Commandments?

(Not a a tittle will fail?)

In His Love,

Suzanne

Deuteronomy 5:29 Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever!

In His Love,

Suzanne

The Mark or Sign?

On the forehead or hand

Old Testament

Hebrew Word - Strongs #226

sign, signal

a distinguishing mark

banner

remembrance

miraculous sign

omen

warning

token, ensign, standard, miracle, proof

Exodus 13:9

And it shall be for a sign unto thee upon thine hand, and for a memorial between thine eyes, that the LORD'S law may be in thy mouth: for with a strong hand hath the LORD brought thee out of Egypt.

Deut. 6:8

And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.

De 11:18

Therefore shall ye lay up these my words in your heart and in your soul, and bind them for a sign upon your hand, that they may be as frontlets between your eyes.

New Testament

Greek Word - Strongs #5480

a stamp, an imprinted mark

of the mark stamped on the forehead or the right hand as the badge of the followers of the Antichrist

the mark branded upon horses

thing carved, sculpture, graven work

of idolatrous images

reproduction, express image, representation

I wonder? Could the distinction be in the end, those who follow the Commandments of God, as opposed to those who desire idolatry, buying and selling, graven work?

Rev. 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 5:17 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Which is more important? The Commandments of God, or the money and stuff we buy?

(Notice the previous post regarding the coveteousness of the Pharisee)

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

"cuse me for interrupting Suzanne, but what are "frontlets?"

Just curious :D

Great question traveller!

frontlets in short, are "marks"

Strongs #2903

hppwj

bands, phylacteries, frontlets, marks

Also used in the following verse:

Exodus 13:16 And it shall be for a token upon thine hand, and for frontlet s between thine eyes: for by strength of hand the LORD brought us forth out of Egypt.

In His Love,

Suzanne

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

I wonder? Could the distinction be in the end, those who follow the Commandments of God, as opposed to those who desire idolatry, buying and selling, graven work?

Amen! Sister roll on in Grace!

We cannot forget those commandements for they are written on our Hearts!

GBU,

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem!

Peace :il: Amen

The Book of Zephaniah

The Day of the Lord

One of the primary themes of Zephaniah's prophetic message is the "day of the Lord." To Christians that image of the apocalypse refers to the Lord's final, triumphant return to vanquish sin and restore the world to the idyllic, perfect fellowship and relationship mankind once had with God before sin contaminated everything.

For Zephaniah, this would be the day when oppressors and evildoers would be punished as the wails of their suffering would resound as loudly as their former cheers over their ill-gotten gains. Zephaniah wards the wicked to repent, for they are squarely in the path of God's righteous wrath.

Most of the prophets in the Bible deal with the day of the Lord in some way. It would be a time filled with terror for the unrighteous, yet one of awe and expectation, looking forward to a world set right again. The promise of the coming judgment is indeed that; for unlike us, God does not make threats--He makes promises. And He keeps those promises.

It wasn't so much that God gets angry like we do with problems and situations. His wrath deals quite simply with the fact that if all of Scripture is reduced to the simplest terms, righteousness is rewarded and evil punished. If He is just, it has to be that way, for God will not change the rules of engagement. He always exhibits a holy aversion to anything sinful and contrary to Himself.

When Scripture deals with prophecy such as Zephaniah's there is a completion of the prophecy that happens in the immediate or measurable future and another that is yet to come. That early "day of the Lord" came to pass in the future of his hearers as Israel and Judah were invaded by the Assyrians and Babylonians and carried off into captivity. Cities were destroyed; thousands perished.

New Testament references indicate that the ultimate time-ending "day of the Lord" that will come suddenly as a "thief in the night" is still to come.

A Blueprint for Judgment

The Lord says that "on the day of the Lord's sacrifice, I will punish the princes and the king's sons and all those clad in foreign clothes. On that day I will punish all who avoid stepping on the threshold, who fill the temple of their gods with violence and deceit" (Zeph. 1:8-9)

God will begin the judgment with the "beautiful people" --the wealthy, influential, selfish; those accustomed to red carpet treatment who think only of themselves. The mention of those who "avoid stepping on the threshold" refers to Israel's past from the days of Gideon. When he knocked over the idol to the pagan god Dagon, the statue fell, landing face down across the threshold of the temple, as if falling prostrate before the true, living God.

Furthermore, when the Lord exacts His righteous punishment for evil, it will be a major media event affecting the entire population in some way. There will be crying, wailing and weeping from one end of Jerusalem to the other, reaching across to the suburbs and farthest reaches of the country. "On that day,' declares the Lord, 'a cry will go up from the Fish Gate, wailing from the New Quarter, and a loud crash from the hills. Wail, you who live in the market district; all your merchants will be wiped out, all who trade with silver will be ruined'" (1:10-11).

No region will be spared from judgment. It was as if the Lord was beginning with Manhattan's palatial Park Avenue condominiums and then moving downtown to the paneled halls of wealth and power on Wall Street, sweeping away all of mankind's monuments to greed. None will escape, for it says, "At that time I will search Jerusalem with lamps and punish those who are complacent, who are like wine left on its dregs, who think, "The Lord will do nothing, either good or bad'" (1:12). The Lord will leave them no place to hide as their wealth is taken and their houses destroyed by foreign armies come to kill them or take them away as slaves.

All they have placed their confidence in will not save them from that "day of wrath, a day of distress and anguish, a day of trouble and ruin, a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and blackness, a day of trumpet and battle cry against the fortified cities and against the corner towers." The Lord says, "'I will bring distress on the people and they will walk like blind men, because they have sinned and the Lord. Their blood will be poured out like dust and their entrails like filth. Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to save them on the day of the Lord's wrath. In the fire of His jealousy the whole world will be consumed, for He will make a sudden end of all who live in the earth'" (1:15-18).

One Last Chance

In times of battle, when a fortified city was assaulted, there was always time for negotiation and a settled peace--until the walls were breached. Once that happened, no quarter was offered, making surrender impossible. All one could hope for was that the invader's lust for blood and revenge would be satisfied before the entire population was put to the sword. The day of the Lord will be no different.

Nothing in Zephaniah's message could be considered encouraging, for it will be some time before anyone will see a hope of a bright, dawning day ahead.

What could they do?

Along with the promise of judgment, the Lord always offers opportunity for grace and forgiveness to those who will trust in Him.

"Gather together, O shameful nation, before the appointed time arrives and that day sweeps on like chaff, before the fierce anger of the Lord comes upon you, before the day of the Lord's wrath comes upon you. See the Lord, all you humble of the land, you who do what He commands. Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the Lord's anger" (2:1-3).

The only way to escape the Lord's wrath is the same for us as it was for those who endured Zephaniah's grim preaching: humble yourself, seek the Lord, forsake the old ways of sin (turn away from it and be sorry enough to quit) and trust in His unfailing love for forgiveness and life. It's your choice.

Kenneth Wilson