• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.53
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

I've had fried cabbage. Excellent. I'm a fan of cabbage dishes in general, and Korean kimchi ranks high on my list.

Kimchi is a fermented food, as is Sauerkraut.

They're good for you, probiotics and that sort of stuff.

Frankfurters (hot dogs commonly used) cooked by cooking them in Sauerkraut is good, never thought about trying it with Kimchi.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,275
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

12 hours ago, Marathoner said:

I've had fried cabbage. Excellent. I'm a fan of cabbage dishes in general, and Korean kimchi ranks high on my list. 

I've grown cabbage as well. :)

"and Korean kimchi ranks high on my list"   default_thumbsup.gif.b1458e1255555ba1ae19edef52e38d90.gif

Bowl-of-kimchi_187e1b70946_large.jpg.07e387a5c4c614ee2def1e7f58057eb3.jpg

I was introduced to kimchi my second tour in the Nam in 68. My platoon was detached to a battery of the Republic of Korea Marine Corps, so we had opportunity to eat with them often as they ate fresh real food, and not c-rats like the American marines.

Every meal we were given a large bowl of rice, and a large scoop of bubbling hobo stew, ingredients unknown, but mostly anything that lived in the ocean, like kelp, fish big and small fishes whole, crab/oysters and squid etc etc. Every spoon full had a eye ball looking at you.
And always a bowl of kimchi, not fresh but fermented in casks in the ground.  Mostly cabbage, onions and small veggies etc, and the other half was red hot pepper flakes. We're talking really hot.

We got used to the hot spices and ended up loving it, especially considering the alternative canned c-rats. The kimchi they sell today in the US is fresh made and not like we ate back then which was fermented, like eating fresh cabbage vs sauerkraut. Somebody gives me some store bought or home made every so often as they know how I like it. And it's good, but nothing like the hot fermented kimchi.

If you can find a Korean food market you can probably ask and find out where you might get some of the old style spicy fermented kimchi. It's hot but very tasty.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,372
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  99

2 minutes ago, Sower said:

"and Korean kimchi ranks high on my list"   default_thumbsup.gif.b1458e1255555ba1ae19edef52e38d90.gif

Bowl-of-kimchi_187e1b70946_large.jpg.07e387a5c4c614ee2def1e7f58057eb3.jpg

I was introduced to kimchi my second tour in the Nam in 68. My platoon was detached to a battery of the Republic of Korea Marine Corps, so we had opportunity to eat with them often as they ate fresh real food, and not c-rats like the American marines.

Every meal we were given a large bowl of rice, and a large scoop of bubbling hobo stew, ingredients unknown, but mostly anything that lived in the ocean, like kelp, fish big and small fishes whole, crab/oysters and squid etc etc. Every spoon full had a eye ball looking at you.
And always a bowl of kimchi, not fresh but fermented in casks in the ground.  Mostly cabbage, onions and small veggies etc, and the other half was red hot pepper flakes. We're talking really hot.

We got used to the hot spices and ended up loving it, especially considering the alternative canned c-rats. The kimchi they sell today in the US is fresh made and not like we ate back then which was fermented, like eating fresh cabbage vs sauerkraut. Somebody gives me some store bought or home made every so often as they know how I like it. And it's good, but nothing like the hot fermented kimchi.

If you can find a Korean food market you can probably ask and find out where you might get some of the old style spicy fermented kimchi. It's hot but very tasty.

I was given kimchi made the traditional way by Korean friends while I worked security at a defense contractor after the Army. I knew what it was (and how it was made) from my childhood on military bases in the South Pacific. A friend's Korean mother would plant a clay pot into the ground behind their government quarters... I wanted to try it... but I was threatened with a beating by my mother if she found out that I ate any food at his house. 

I tried everything I could get my hands on whenever I was sure she wouldn't find out. A friend's Okinawan mother gave me sushi and sashimi one afternoon at their house... loved it!

That kimchi they handed to me was awesome. It wasn't spicy to me. They thought I was crazy. :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.46
  • Days Won:  0

On 10/17/2023 at 9:57 AM, FJK said:

Frankfurters (hot dogs commonly used) cooked by cooking them in Sauerkraut is good, never thought about trying it with Kimchi.

I have never had kimchi. But I love Sauerkraut and polish sausage. But sometimes if I eat too much (which is usually not as much as i want to eat) I am running tio the bathroom for an hour at least. Funny that did not happen when I was a kid, but now that i am older, oh.... Big cabbage fan here.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,372
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  99

On 10/17/2023 at 10:57 AM, FJK said:

There's a reason why I don't keep sauerkraut in the kitchen. Why? Because I eat all of it over the course of a few days. :red_smile:

It's that good.