• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi FOF,

Mmmm I thought I smelt something delicious. :) Been out for a walk & just read you great question. 

I looked up a number of Greek words for `one,` and there is `one` meaning the numeral, another the position, first, and then a different word for oneself, and then plural for one another etc. So lots of meanings for the word `one.` 

So my thoughts based on what I read in God`s word are -

1. Jesus and the Father (& Holy Spirit) are one in unity, equality, and of the same mind, they are the Godhead, (all that I wrote previously).

2. Now for us being `one.` Jesus does equate that with Him and the Father which is astounding but not meaning everything about `God.` Let me explain.

Annie quoted 1 Cor. 12: 4 - 11 which is good, so let`s go further.

`But now God has `set` the members, each one of them, in the body as He pleased.` (1 Cor. 12: 18)

That reveals we are actually `set,` spiritually connected that no one can pull apart, joined & knit together with other members we relate to as specific disciples, (not just pew warmers). 

`Christ - from whom the whole body, JOINED AND KNIT TOGETHER by what every joint supplies...` (Eph. 4: 16)

`...the head (Christ) from whom all the body, nourished and knit together by joints and ligaments, grows with the increase that is from God.` (Col. 2: 19)

That is the context for we always need to read other scriptures on a topic and not just what we think of immediately. When we read of other scriptures of the Godhead we know that they are omnipotent, (all powerful), omnipresent, (everywhere by the Holy Spirit), omniscient, (all knowing). Obviously we will never be any or all of those.

Summing up Jesus was referring to an undisolverble union.

All I can think to say:

We should not forget the doctrine of the trinity is about God's nature. 

The persons of the Godhead. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy spirit. Gods eternal nature

Jesus is God the Son from all eternity made flesh. A distinct theology of Christology. They did not attempt to mix the two. 

The Fathers did not intend that doctrine as an explanation. For neither they nor us could understand it with our finite minds. The doctrine was to respond to heresies in their day. The terms they used were simply for ways to think and speak about God's nature is all.

Edited by Anne2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,226
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

2 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

All I can think to say:

We should not forget the doctrine of the trinity is about God's nature. 

The persons of the Godhead. God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy spirit. Gods eternal nature

Jesus is God the Son from all eternity made flesh. a distinct theology of Christology

The Fathers did not intend that doctrine as an explanation. For neither they nor us could understand it with our finite minds. The doctrine was to respond to heresies in their day. The terms they used were simply for ways to think and speak about God's nature is all.

Good thoughts there, Annie. And for the Father to reveal His Son to us.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest AFlameOfFire
9 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Yes, the two here on earth in the physical are connected souls. However, for Christ and His Body it is a spiritual connection, much deeper and eternal. 

Christ the HEAD, connected, to His body - the NEW MAN. Male head, male body.

The same is used for Christ and the Church

Ephes 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Ephes 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

As it says earlier

Ephes 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

He has given us His Spirit,  and we know if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We are just in Him (as the new man) and not Adam (old man)

Edited by AFlameOfFire

6 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

The same is used for Christ and the Church

Ephes 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Ephes 5:32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

As it says earlier

Ephes 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

He has given us His Spirit,  and we know if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We are just in Him (as the new man) and not Adam (old man)

So true. Do you really believe that? (in bold)

Guest AFlameOfFire
Just now, Marilyn C said:

So true. Do you believe really believe that? (in bold)

Yes, we put on the new man, for example, 

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ephes 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

6 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

Yes, we put on the new man, for example, 

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Ephes 4:24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Great scriptures there, thank you. So..... what about the `bride?`  What does God`s word say that symbol is used for? (If you want to go there.)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Marilyn C said:

Great scriptures there, thank you. So..... what about the `bride?`  What does God`s word say that symbol is used for? 

We are the wife of the ketubah (covenant/ Betrothed) Distinct from a concubine.

3 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

We are the wife of the ketubah (covenant/ Betrothed) Distinct from a concubine.

And scriptural support for that view?

Guest AFlameOfFire
Just now, Marilyn C said:

Great scriptures there, thank you. So..... what about the `bride?`  What does God`s word say that symbol is used for? 

I would go back to our earlier conversation, but if you are looking for verses here are verses with the word bride in them

John 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice:
 this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Rev 18:23 And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Just now, AFlameOfFire said:

I would go back to our earlier conversation, but if you are looking for verses here are verses with the word bride in them

John 3:29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice:
 this my joy therefore is fulfilled.

Rev 18:23 And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Yes, thank you, so now can you explain what you see from those verses, please?