• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

On 11/15/2023 at 9:58 PM, Sparks said:

Even unicorns were real animals mentioned in the Bible, described as a very strong animals, likely akin to a wild ox.

Psalm 92:10 (KJV) But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an unicorn: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Or a rhinoceros unicornis

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  741
  • Content Per Day:  0.81
  • Birthday:  09/05/1962

To those who will believe, no further evidence is needed.

To those who will not believe, no evidence is sufficient.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,367
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:19 AM, Mozart's Starling said:

Hello fellow believers! As the title states this is about Noah's Ark. If I am ever confronted with a question about how it is possible 2 of every animal (as we know there is a staggering variety on Earth) fit on the ark, I want a good answer to give them. I think the key has to be them being determined by the term "kinds"?

Hi Starling,

I think you are correct that the concept of "kinds" (a term borrowed from scripture) is "the key". The basic idea is that many creatures that we would classify as separate 'species' are related to each other via a shared ancestor pair. For example, there were no lions on "Noah's Ark", nor tigers, nor panthers, nor jaguars etc. There was only a representative pair of the cat form - which themselves descended from the original cats that God created on day 6 of creation. 

This significantly reduces the amount of animals required on the "Ark".

I'd also note that the animals on the "Ark" were only those land-dwelling, breathing, blood-bearing creatures (Hb 'Nephesh Chayah'). This category seems to exclude insects - which make up the overwhelming majority of animal species (though there were probably many insects on the Ark amongst all those animals - And insects are generally small anyways). This leaves us with approximately 50,000 identified 'species' that would qualify for the Ark (i.e. before we reduced that number to accommodate for "kinds").

https://ourworldindata.org/how-many-species-are-there

image.png.396036e883060d4c7c1829805f42ffd0.png

In 1996, A "Noah's Ark" feasibility study was published that conservatively estimated around 16.000 individual animals (8,000 pairs) would have been required on the Ark (https://austore.creation.com/product/1955-noahs-ark-a-feasibility-study-5th-printing). They assumed the average size of the animal was that of a small sheep, and that "kinds" was roughly equivalent to the Linnaean classification of Genus. Given these numbers, roughly a third of the Ark would have been free for other purposes (such as food storage).

Hope this was helpful.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

Tristan,s reply points the poster back yet again to answers in genesis who have a great many articles on these subjects.

Just because people have an illogical dislike of those who believe the bible is the authoritative  word of God, should not stop one from reading the  results of there studies.

Take a look at AiG use the search function and read what they have to say about caring for animals on the Ark.