IGNORED

Did a star really lead the wise men from the East to Jerusalem? Then, did they go to Bethlehem or Nazareth?

PATrobas

Guest AFlameOfFire

This comes up nearly every year, we all speculate about it, and its fun to consider these things. I am of the mind it was an angel

The angels are likened to stars also

And here one angel was sent to keep thee "in the way"

Back in Exodus, it says he sent an angel to go before them to keep them "in the way"

Ex 23:20 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee "in the way", and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

Jesus Christ "is" the way

But also, it says the Angel who would go before them was, "to bring thee into the place which I have prepared"

Jesus is also the salvation which" thou hath prepared" before the face of all people Luke 2:31

And of the angels it says,

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

The law was ordained by angels "in the hand" of a mediator  Gal 3:19

And the mystery of the stars in his right hand are the angels Rev 1:20

Which angels did accompany the birth of Christ 

Jesus has an angel Rev 22:16 and if the mystery of the stars are the angels and it says,

Mat 2:9 ...and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

Could indicate an angel, 

In the former it says, I send "mine angel" and they said they saw "his star" 

Jesus refers to  his angel

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, 
and the bright and morning star.

The star stands over where the child was, Bethlehem ("house of bread") 

We also are his house, and Christ (the bread of heaven) in us is also our hope of glory 

Just the way they are worded and the comparisons that could be made.

Guest AFlameOfFire

Rev 7:2 And I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God: and he cried with a loud voice to 
the four angels, to whom it was given to hurt the earth and the sea,

Mat 2:9 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, 
till it came and stood over where the young child was.

I wonder if there is anything between these at all?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,272
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

52 minutes ago, AFlameOfFire said:

This comes up nearly every year, we all speculate about it, and its fun to consider these things. I am of the mind it was an angel

Back in Exodus, it says he sent an angel to go before them to keep them "in the way"

Ex 23:20 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee "in the way", and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared.

But also, it says the Angel who would go before them was, "to bring thee into the place which I have prepared"

Jesus is also the salvation which" thou hath prepared" before the face of all people Luke 2:31

Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Jesus has an angel Rev 22:16 and if the mystery of the stars are the angels and it says,

Mat 2:9 ...and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

Could indicate an angel, 

Rev 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, 

We also are his house, and Christ (the bread of heaven) in us is also our hope of glory 

That's my thought as well. Stars in scripture symbolically represent angels as you shared above. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,221
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

17 hours ago, AFlameOfFire said:

Could indicate an angel, 

I agree 100% with your position here.

No experience of mine regarding angels would dispute your interpretation OR that of the fellow I once knew who survived a disaster at sea because of such guidance.

I suspect that secular mathematicians and astronomers, who acknowledge nothing of any heaven but that which they see through their glass, would of necessity be disallowed.   That includes our local TV stations that like to rebroadcast the same regurgitated story each December for popular consumption by people who wouldn't admit to angelic activity even if one hit them in the face with a pumpkin pie.

I believe the interpretation of the star of Bethlehem being an angel is the only plausible one to consider.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

v

Contrary to popular beliefs, the star-mentioned at Matthew 2:2-was not a sign from heaven and the three travelers-as being depicted as kings or wise men-is not supported scripturally.

These so called “wise men” were from the neighborhood of Babylon and were not academics; neither were they kings and worshipper of the true God.  They were, as most modern English translations read, “astrologers,” “stargazers” or “Magi.”  They were “diviners” who engaged in a practice of predictions based on the position of the stars and planets of which is condemned in the Holy Scriptures. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)  Note, that only these astrologers were reported to have “seen” the star.  If the star had been an actual physical body, it would have been as visible as a beacon to the public in general.  But even King Herod had to ask them about the details of its appearance.

It is also notable of their adverse results of their visit: placing in danger the life of the future Messiah.  In consideration of their having been directed by a source adverse to God’s purposes as relating to the promised Messiah, it is certainly reasonable to ask if the one who “keeps transforming himself into an angel of light,” whose operation is “with every powerful work and lying signs and portents,” who was able to make a serpent appear to speak, and who was referred to by Jesus as “a manslayer when he began,” could not also cause astrologers to “see” a star like object that guided them first, not to Bethlehem, but to Jerusalem, to Herod, where resided a mortal enemy of the promised Messiah.-Matthew 2:1, 2; John 8:44; 2 Corinthians 11:3, 14; 2 Thessalonians 2:9.

These facts give evidence that the star was from an evil source: Satan the Devil.  The Bible describes him as using “lying signs and portents.”-2 Corinthians 4:4; 11:14;

2 Thessalonians 2:9.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,561
  • Content Per Day:  12.17
  • Days Won:  31

4 minutes ago, Markie51 said:

v

Contrary to popular beliefs, the star-mentioned at Matthew 2:2-was not a sign from heaven and the three travelers-as being depicted as kings or wise men-is not supported scripturally.

These so called “wise men” were from the neighborhood of Babylon and were not academics; neither were they kings and worshipper of the true God.  They were, as most modern English translations read, “astrologers,” “stargazers” or “Magi.”  They were “diviners” who engaged in a practice of predictions based on the position of the stars and planets of which is condemned in the Holy Scriptures. (Deuteronomy 18:10-12)  Note, that only these astrologers were reported to have “seen” the star.  If the star had been an actual physical body, it would have been as visible as a beacon to the public in general.  But even King Herod had to ask them about the details of its appearance.

It is also notable of their adverse results of their visit: placing in danger the life of the future Messiah.  In consideration of their having been directed by a source adverse to God’s purposes as relating to the promised Messiah, it is certainly reasonable to ask if the one who “keeps transforming himself into an angel of light,” whose operation is “with every powerful work and lying signs and portents,” who was able to make a serpent appear to speak, and who was referred to by Jesus as “a manslayer when he began,” could not also cause astrologers to “see” a star like object that guided them first, not to Bethlehem, but to Jerusalem, to Herod, where resided a mortal enemy of the promised Messiah.-Matthew 2:1, 2; John 8:44; 2 Corinthians 11:3, 14; 2 Thessalonians 2:9.

These facts give evidence that the star was from an evil source: Satan the Devil.  The Bible describes him as using “lying signs and portents.”-2 Corinthians 4:4; 11:14;

Just remember that the honor they gave to the Lord Jesus was worthy. Anything from the devil does not truly give the Lord honour and glory.

Remember also that down the years many faithful servants of the Lord have suffered for the true faith; it's not the way His suffering servants have honored Him that is at fault.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.33
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.95
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

56 minutes ago, Markie51 said:

v

Astronomers of Babylon were trained under the auspices of Daniel.

I find it interesting that those who study the prophecies of Daniel, count weeks to years to determine the time of the Messiah from the time the order went forth to build the temple, a date that was accurately known.

So those who worshiped "the God of Daniel" by edict of the emperor would have used the heavens as their calendar to look for a particular alignment to guide them in making pilgrimage.

Nothing in the Gospel supports a Satanic deception, and although Herod had evil intents, the magi protected the Messiah by taking a different route home.

It has been well attested by others that the gifts of the Magi would have supported Mary and Joseph during their time in Egypt.

God provided, not Satan.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

Oh I want to hear all the rejoicing from the Shepherds to the angels. Yes there was a star for along time the wise men followed. Yes it took them some time and Mary and Joseph had a house by then (they estimate) and were given gifts very very rich gifts. It's about Christ that was born. The older I get the stronger and greater it becomes. For just like the song I use to at collage take long walks just praying talking to the lord singing "soon and very soon we are going to see the king" then one day He just said "say I" So soon and very soon I am going to see the king". Just about Him that took away the sin of the world. I believe He would say in a case like this "as least the gospel is being preached"