IGNORED

Should Christmas be celebrated or rejected according to the word of God?

Bro.Tan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,262
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

Excellent comments from many!

My understandable abhorrence of holidays resolved over time but it was a process to be sure. I went through a similar phase myself, @Vine Abider. After I had forgiven my mother and let all of that go --- a nod to @Yes, and regarding our freedom in Christ --- I was briefly "anti-holiday" for reasons similar to your own. 

Holidays? Nay. My own birthday? Bah. I didn't get it for a little while. To avoid typing a novella, I did the following:

What does the Life say?

I sought the judgment of the Lord for it became apparent that I was being defined by what I stood against. That didn't sit well at all. I remembered how His Spirit instructed me to speak again... how He guided me in serving others... and never once was it a matter of "don't do this and stay away from that." When the Lord taught me how to speak again, He focused upon what I could do. As for me?

I was consumed by what I couldn't do. So long as what I couldn't do remained in my sight, learning how to speak after the damage I suffered was insurmountable. It was impossible!

The Lord is more patient than we suspect. By focusing upon only what He set before me to do that day, I achieved the impossible. When He was finished, my ability to speak was restored in full. 

I sought His judgment about my discomfort with that anti-holiday stance. Not only are holidays not a matter of concern to any of us, but I was consumed by this flesh which accordingly defined me. I cast that nonsense aside in relief. I was free to observe them or not... and so are you. The scriptures affirmed His judgment: judge no one with regard to matters such as these. 

Eh, it would have been quicker if I had just read the apostle Paul's letters again. I'm not always so swift! :laugh:

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Indeed! 

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread to see if this idea was looked at through the lens of Romans 14: 

"One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. He who observes a special day does so to the Lord; he who eats does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.…"  (14:5-7)

"But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you show contempt for your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written: 'As I live, says the Lord, Every knee shall bow to Me, And every tongue shall confess to God.' So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way." (14:10-12) 

And if a saint is weak, we are to by no means to do anything to stumble them - if they experience the Lord in celebrating a certain day, may they be blessed in their praise and worship of Him!

Look @Bro.Tan, I was once as anti-Xmas (notice the cross in "Xmas") as they come, seeing all the things you mentioned, and maybe even more, that were exceedingly negative about the whole matter.  But slowly the Lord showed me that pointing out this stuff did nothing to testify of His love, mercy and grace . . . and saved/edified exactly no one.

May our eyes are open, yet may we be as gentle as doves in all matters . . . the Lord is gentle and kind, therefore: "Let all you do be done in love -- and for the building up of others!" 1 Cor 16:14 & 14:26

We can't use Paul writing against the scriptures. In the scriptures it's written in Exodus 20: And God spake all these words, saying, I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. 

Let's take a look at Romans the 14th chapter. Let's take a look and see what Paul is actually talking about in some of these verses. Let’s begin at verse one. Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. (Romans 14:1)

He that is weak in the faith? Hmm? How's an individual’s faith increase?

Take note;

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Romans 10:17)

Therefore by hearing the word of God our faith will be established; and if we believe, we will do what the Lord requires us to do. So, the individual in Romans the 14th chapter at the first verse which is weak in the "faith" is a babe in the Doctrine of the Lord. Also in that first verse Paul also states, "receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations."

In other words, accept this brother or sister but, do not agree with their uncertain arguments. Meaning, if this individual, who is weak in the faith hasn't obtained the correct concept of a particular scripture or verse, correct them, do not agree if they are incorrect.

For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. (Romans 14: 2-3)

Is this literal food? Or is the Apostle Paul giving us an example? Let's skip to the 15th verse.

But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. (Romans 14:15)

Now let’s back up to the 4 verse, 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

Brothers and sisters...this is simple, So you stand strong by the word of God  (Jesus) and his righteousness, which is his laws, statutes, and judgements.

Sisters and brothers, how can an individual grieve or destroy another with his or her meat? What does Paul mean by, "Now walkest thou not charitably?" What is charity? The love of mankind correct? What is love according to the Word of God? Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law (Romans 13:10). Therefore if you walk not in the Law of God, and preach the Law of God, you can destroy and individual with your knowledge of the word. In other words practice what you preach.

Take a look at what Paul says in the 5th chapter of Hebrews.

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil. (Hebrews 5:12-14) 

In Romans the 14th chapter Paul was not referring to literal food at all. He was simply using food for an example. Now, let's return to Romans the 14th chapter and see that he was in fact talking about the word of righteousness instead of literal food. 

For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. (Romans 14:17) 

21 hours ago, Starise said:

But I'm not heathen.

I'm a Christian guy with an artificial tree.

Heathen just mean different nation of people, because the other nations of people did those things the lord warn Israel not to do. Every word you read in the Bible was written by a Hebrew or Israelite. 

"Hear this word that the Lord hath spoken against you, O children of Israel, against the whole family which I brought up from the land of Egypt, saying, you only have I known of all the families of the earth: Therefore I will punish you for all your iniquities." (Amos 3:1-2) 

For what purpose did the Lord choose the children of Israel? (Exodus 19: 1-6) Let's look at the 5th & 6th vs.; "Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: (6th vs.) and ye shall be unto me a Kingdom of Priest, and a holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel." Take a look at what Peter was telling the Jews, quoting Moses in 1 Peter 2:9   But ye are a chosen generationa royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

But that a lesson for another time. So if you are a Christian which means to be Christ like, then you will follow Christ, because Christ is the one who told Jeremiah, and was in the days of Moses. 1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. (1 Corinthians 10) 

The lord have not changed his ways. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed (Malachi 3:6) or Hebrews 13:8  Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

21 hours ago, Sower said:

Exactamundo! We should all remember that when evaluating/judging others.
I tell people often that I'm not sure I can say that I really love the Lord. His word to me/us says if I want to show my love for him to keep his commandments, and not some other fallen man's understanding of them.

It also says that for me to judge another will allow God to judge me the same way I judge those others. (food/holy day etc)   I do not want that, I prefer mercy. Something to think on.

By the way, are you aware what it means to actually "keep the sabbath"?
Good luck with that. (No internet sundown to sundown :) ) I understand why most sabbath keepers I know follow only a few of  the parts they want to follow concerning the sabbath worship, and not the rest of the true sabbath worship.
(Just for the Jews)

WHAT IS THE SABBATH?

The SABBATH is the Jewish holy day. Jews set aside this day each week for rest and prayer.
  • The Sabbath is called SHABBAT in Hebrew
  • Shabbat begins at Sunset on Friday and ends at Sunset on Saturday.
  • Jews celebrate this holy time with religious services in both the home and the synagogue.
The origin of the Sabbath is found in the bible. In the story of the CREATION:
  • God created the world in 6 days and rested in the 7th day.
The Jews obeyed God. They kept the Sabbath day holy for thousands of years.
  • On the Sabbath Jews celebrate their special relationship with God.
  • They praise God for this goodness.
  • They thank God for caring for the chosen people throughout the ages.
  • Today Jewish people spend most of the day relaxing at home with their families.
  • The Talmud lists 39 types of work that must not be done on the Sabbath.

PREPARING FOR THE SABBATH

There are different rituals associated with the celebration of the Sabbath. This means that there are certain things that the Jews always say and do at this sacred time:
  • School finishes early on a Friday in Jewish countries
  • Jewish children return home and help their parents prepare for the Sabbath
  • The house is cleaned and tidied.
  • The shopping is done
  • A meal is prepared and the table set carefully. It is covered with a white table cloth, Two candlesticks and a wine glass are put on the table.
  • Two loaves of plaited bread are placed on the table and covered with a napkin. A salt dish is also put on the table.
  • When everything is done the family go to their rooms to get ready. They shower and put on good clothes.
  • Television and phones are switched off. Everything becomes quiet as sunset approaches

Welcoming the Sabbath

• At sunset the family gather around the table
  • The mother lights the two candles to welcome Sabbath. She says a prayer as she does this.
  • She then puts her hands over her eyes and asks God to bless the home.
  • Everyone now wishes each other 'SHABBAT SHALOM' which in Hebrew means 'Have a peaceful Sabbath'

A SERVICE is held at the Synagogue on Friday Evening. When the men and boys return from the Synagogue the family gather together for the family meal.

After the Kiddush ritual the family sit down together at the table to enjoy the Sabbath meal. There is time to talk and relax. Adults and children might even sing traditional Sabbath songs between the different courses. The meal always ends with a prayer of thanksgiving.

THE SABBATH DAY

On Saturday morning Jewish families attend a service in the synagogue. Afterwards they return home to relax and enjoy the day together.

The word KOSHER just means SUITABLE or PURE. It is a very important part of Judaism and categorises which products and foods are allowed and forbidden according to Jewish law.
The food laws concerning things being Kosher are found in LEVITICUS in the TALMUD. This sets out what is and is not unclean.

Certain foods found in supermarkets are forbidden for Jews to eat. These include:
  • Pork and other products from a pig such as bacon
  • Some types of Cheese
  • Shellfish like prawns, crab and lobster
  • Animals that can be eaten must be slaughtered in a certain way. No pain is permitted to the animal so it has to be done as quickly and humanely as possible.

In a Jewish household Dairy and Meat products must not be cooked together as this is forbidden in the Torah.
This separation is very important and Jewish households even have separate utensils and pots and pans for use with dairy and meat separately.

Hope this above is a true representation of sabbath worship lest I offend someone.   .
Thanks, Bro Tan

The Jewish people are Edomites, not Israelites. Big different there, but that another lesson for another time.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  958
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,671
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Just a little side comment from the peanut gallery: I always found the lectures/sermons by Pastor Eugene Scott to be most interesting at Advent time and then again at Passover/Resurrection Sunday time. 

He would present a Passover message at Christmas and a Birth message at Easter. That timing made both messages have deep significance. Made the hearers of it think through the why of the times of celebration and feast  rememberence

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,115
  • Content Per Day:  9.69
  • Days Won:  149

7 minutes ago, Bro.Tan said:

But that a lesson for another time. So if you are a Christian which means to be Christ like, then you will follow Christ, because Christ is the one who told Jeremiah, and was in the days of Moses. 1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2and were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3and did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4and did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. (1 Corinthians 10) 

All of this over a Christmas tree? Seriously?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

29 minutes ago, Bro.Tan said:

The Jewish people are Edomites, not Israelites. Big different there, but that another lesson for another time.

Actually, I do not study the Jewish history much, but thanks. Interested in, with your knowledge of the Jewish people etc, how you keep the Sabbath. You found a fault with my post but what about the rest of it, and how do you celebrate the Sabbath, sunset to sunset etc, and do you find the requirements a bit troublesome?

Thanks Bro Tan.....

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,871
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, Sower said:

Actually, I do not study the Jewish history much, but thanks. Interested in, with your knowledge of the Jewish people etc, how you keep the Sabbath. You found a fault with my post but what about the rest of it, and how do you celebrate the Sabbath, sunset to sunset etc, and do you find the requirements a bit troublesome?

Thanks Bro Tan.....

I do not understand why the Sabbath of the  children of the Sinai Covenant.  

This Specific Sabbath was given only to the children of Jacob. It excluded the other children of Abraham and the other Son of Issac. Why you? Are you from the inclusive children of Jacob who were present at the time the Sinai Covenant was given in the dessert and they agreed to it for them and their children's children. If you lived that time, would you celebrate the Sabbath? 

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,267
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

35 minutes ago, Your closest friendnt said:

I do not understand why the Sabbath of the  children of the Sinai Covenant.  

This Specific Sabbath was given only to the children of Jacob. It excluded the other children of Abraham and the other Son of Issac. Why you? Are you from the inclusive children of Jacob who were present at the time the Sinai Covenant was given in the dessert and they agreed to it for them and their children's children. If you lived that time, would you celebrate the Sabbath? 

I work on Saturday. I worship every day as each day is a privilege and holy as the Lord hath made. I assemble with born again believers on Sunday for the bible studies, worship, and instruction from our pastor/shepherd, as a new testament believer. I do not know/study (exactly) who it was the sabbath was given to. Thought it was God's chosen people. My reply was about how I was curious as to whether Bro Tan worshiped the the sabbath as was required by the law or does he not do all as in the biblical times that was required. Simple question

I asked twice for an answer, no response. cool...

Thanks, YCF....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,871
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

2 minutes ago, Sower said:

I work on Saturday. I worship every day as each day is a privilege and holy as the Lord hath made. I assemble with born again believers on Sunday for the bible studies, worship, and instruction from our pastor/shepherd, as a new testament believer. I do not know/study (exactly) who it was the sabbath was given to. Thought it was God's chosen people. My reply was about how I was curious as to whether Bro Tan worshiped the the sabbath as was required by the law or does he not do all as in the biblical times that was required. Simple question

I asked twice for an answer, no response. cool...

Thanks, YCF....

In any case thank you for your response. I will never judge anyone for what they do it is their business but when they expressly or suggestive judge others for not doing what they do then it becomes my business if I want to. Very often others are ahead of me because I am the turtle kind in responding because I reply from an IPhone. 

It's good to hear from you, your messages are full of encouraging words and full of the message of grace and I was wondering but now you have settled this matter because there others who quickly follow up to what is posted. I have come to understand that no matter what someone posts he will always have some followers. And not because they agree but because they both disagree with the same person but not always. 

The Catholics are not accepting the other believers in Jesus Christ because they do not want to loose their sheep to them and vise versa.

And they talk a lot about themselves their doctrine but they do not want to talk that they all have their sins forgiven in the same way by believing in Jesus Christ. 

So when I observe them celebrate the Christian Holydays I join with them and there is not about us and why yes and or not but it is about the world to observe what we celebrate and ask questions. It's about others also when the Christmas Carrolls fill their homes during the news they do not run to close the TV, some they may do...but then they know the reason as to why and their children wondering as to why because they liked the music.  It adds up at the end somehow. A world without Chrismas it is impossible because Jesus Christ was indeed born.  The Savior had to be born and that it can never change. Amongst many other things and the commercial frenzy and the parties people always think about Christmas and the celebration is about the birth of Jesus Christ, they can hear it from others. They talk about one another religious celebrations to keep in line with the constitution. I have to remind my wife who has a lot of Catholic relatives that their sins are also forgiven in Jesus Christ and to stop worrying about them. Jesus knows that they believe in him and this is what matters and in earth many other things matter. But to Jesus Christ above all it matters that they believe in him. They believe that Jesus Christ died and raised from the dead and was ascended into Heaven unto the Heavenly Father. 

• Thanks 1