• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.28
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.71
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

Just now, Vine Abider said:

Yes - when we went through the 7 letters here, earlier this year, it was apparent that the Lord certainly meant it for their edification and development!

And we can accept every word as a personal admonishment, 

as it is written:“He who has an ear,

let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” 

• Well Said! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,300
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

13 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Curious - what is your definition of "mysticism" and who would be its adherents? 

Hi VA,

Good question as it is seeping into all areas of Christendom. 

The dictionary says - `Views of religion based on communication between man and God through spiritual perception; obscurity of doctrine.`

The Apostle Paul addressed this error along with others.

The Colossian believers were in danger of imbibing the error of Gnosticism, spiritism, ceremonialism, asceticism and false philosophies, which made void what Christ had done and obscured His full glory. (Col. 2: 8 - 23)

Such errors tend to undermine the entire Christian faith. Hence the epistle is marked by correction. It is an inspired protest against all doctrines and cults and ceremonies which have the effect of obscuring the completeness of God`s salvation in Christ, and the sufficiency of Christ in heaven for all the needs of His church on earth. 

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,530
  • Content Per Day:  6.05
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

10 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

The dictionary says - `Views of religion based on communication between man and God through spiritual perception; obscurity of doctrine.`

The Apostle Paul addressed this error along with others.

The Colossian believers were in danger of imbibing the error of Gnosticism, spiritism, ceremonialism, asceticism and false philosophies, which made void what Christ had done and obscured His full glory. (Col. 2: 8 - 23)

Such errors tend to undermine the entire Christian faith. Hence the epistle is marked by correction. It is an inspired protest against all doctrines and cults and ceremonies which have the effect of obscuring the completeness of God`s salvation in Christ, and the sufficiency of Christ in heaven for all the needs of His church on earth. 

So if I parse this dictionary definition . . . "communication between man and God through spiritual perception" - what is that about?  Seems to be saying we shouldn't have spiritual communication with God.  Do you agree with that definition?

And who specifically do you think would be a couple good examples of those practicing Christian mysticism? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.33
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

So if I parse this dictionary definition . . . "communication between man and God through spiritual perception" - what is that about?

I think that would be about seeking the Holy Spirit as a connector to God.

26 minutes ago, FJK said:

I think that would be about seeking the Holy Spirit as a connector to God.

Is that something to do, or not to do?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.33
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

Is that something to do, or not to do?

I suppose it depends on whether you desire to have a personal relationship with him and have a deeper understanding of himand the power he brings to our life, and what he means us to be.

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,300
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

6 hours ago, Vine Abider said:

So if I parse this dictionary definition . . . "communication between man and God through spiritual perception" - what is that about?  Seems to be saying we shouldn't have spiritual communication with God.  Do you agree with that definition?

And who specifically do you think would be a couple good examples of those practicing Christian mysticism? 

It means that people think they can know God through `secret wisdom,` (eg. Gnostics) whereas we know God by the Holy Spirit through Jesus. Also, it is knowing God`s word and not other writings that lead us to Christ and to the Father.

The Catholic Organization is heavily into the mystics, and over the past few years more Protestants are looking that way. 

Have you heard of Labyrinths for example? They were all the go where people would go around and around praying, till finally in the center people would `feel` all their worries and cares gone or such like. Such nonsense when God says that it is through His precious Son that all that is available.

The New Age teachings and practices rely on mysticism. People love mysteries but we have to be careful for God has revealed His character and His purposes and plans and thus not relegate them to mystery.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  441
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,249
  • Content Per Day:  2.06
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/10/2023 at 6:42 PM, AdHoc said:

Brother Austin-Sparks is to be reckoned with - seriously. But I cannot fathom his objection although I agree with his conclusion. Man has eaten from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil and so the Law suites him. And this is the Covenant mentioned above - that of Sinai being replaced by the New Covenant of Jeremiah 31:31-33. Both are a Covenant of God's Law. But both Covenants are made with Israel.

I think that what he means is that the Church is very Old Testament. We have a building called "a Church". The Priest, and possibly an altar are at one end, and we have swapped the Law for a hybrid Law which ranges from Tithing to the length of hair and tobacco. The structure of the Assembly is one or two men doing all the talking, managing the activities, collecting and managing the money, and choosing the hymns. Gone is the structure of Ephesians 4. The gifted ones are carefully controlled and instead of the Assembly having the Keys to the Kingdom, church discipline is reduced to be like a heathen injustice system.

And worst of all, as brother Austin-Sparks points out, we ostracize others of the same faith. I might add, and fully embrace the world. What a reversal - what a travesty.

Thanks. Thank you. I appreciated this, even thought I don't know who Austin Sparks is. I appreciated your words on the subject. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.28
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.71
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

1 hour ago, Marilyn C said:

It means that people think they can know God through `secret wisdom,` (eg. Gnostics) whereas we know God by the Holy Spirit through Jesus. Also, it is knowing God`s word and not other writings that lead us to Christ and to the Father.

The Catholic Organization is heavily into the mystics, and over the past few years more Protestants are looking that way. 

Have you heard of Labyrinths for example? They were all the go where people would go around and around praying, till finally in the center people would `feel` all their worries and cares gone or such like. Such nonsense when God says that it is through His precious Son that all that is available.

The New Age teachings and practices rely on mysticism. People love mysteries but we have to be careful for God has revealed His character and His purposes and plans and thus not relegate them to mystery.

1 Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

Edited by Mr. M
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Okay, that kind of thing is certainly "out there." But various ones who have expressed having a vibrant and intimate touch with the Lord Jesus and have testified of His life/Spirit working in and through them, sometimes get labeled as "Christian Mystics."  For example, Watchman Nee and Andrew Murray.

So I don't agree with that dictionary definition, because if the Christian life is not a spiritual life - "He that is joined to the Lord is one Spirit with Him"  (1 Cor 6:17) - then what is it?