• Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Stormy Monday said:

Habakkuk is complaining to God, and God doesn't answer Habakkuk's question of 'HOW LONG' until chapter 2. 

Habakkuk 2:1-3

I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved. And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may RUN that readeth it.   For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. 

What is the 'appointed time" Habakkuk is referring to?  An "appointed time" is a 'set' time.  Whenever I see this kind of terminology used in the bible, (Hab. 2:3 and elsewhere), it indicates the end of days and time of the end. 

Gesenius says, "the vision belongs to a time SOMEWHAT REMOTE!  The only time APPOINTED IS THE TIME THAT SURROUND THE DAY OF THE LORD!

Concerning Habakkuk's vision in chapter one.... Chuck Smith said... 

...and though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry (Hab 2:3). 

"Now the vision for the appointed time is really looking down to the time of the coming of the Messiah. "And though it tarry," he said, "wait for it, because He will surely come and not tarry." The church has been waiting for Jesus to come for almost two thousand years of man's time." 

Mathew Henry says... 

"There is an appointed time, but it is not near; it is yet to be deferred a great while;' and that comes in here as a reason why it must be written, that it may be reviewed afterwards and the event compared with it." 

Ray Stedman says... 

"God is saying, "Habakkuk, this isn't going to happen right away. There is going to be a lapse of time, but it will come." This is the character of God's revelation. First God says that an event will happen. Then he says, "Don't you worry about what happens in between. Even though it looks like everything is going wrong, what I have said will happen is going to happen, and if it seems to delay, wait for it. It will come."

Sticking with Habakkuk 1 and the Chaldean invasion, it happened in Habakkuk's lifetime:

Hab 1:5  "Look among the nations and watch—Be utterly astounded! For I will work a work in your days Which you would not believe, though it were told you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

13 hours ago, Stormy Monday said:

Habakkuk is complaining to God, and God doesn't answer Habakkuk's question of 'HOW LONG' until chapter 2. 

I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved. And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may RUN that readeth it.   For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry. 

What is the 'appointed time" Habakkuk is referring to?  An "appointed time" is a 'set' time.  Whenever I see this kind of terminology used in the bible, (Hab. 2:3 and elsewhere), it indicates the end of days and time of the end. 

Gesenius says, "the vision belongs to a time SOMEWHAT REMOTE!  The only time APPOINTED IS THE TIME THAT SURROUND THE DAY OF THE LORD!

...and though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry (Hab 2:3). 

"Now the vision for the appointed time is really looking down to the time of the coming of the Messiah. "And though it tarry," he said, "wait for it, because He will surely come and not tarry." The church has been waiting for Jesus to come for almost two thousand years of man's time." 

Mathew Henry says... 

"There is an appointed time, but it is not near; it is yet to be deferred a great while;' and that comes in here as a reason why it must be written, that it may be reviewed afterwards and the event compared with it." 

Ray Stedman says... 

"God is saying, "Habakkuk, this isn't going to happen right away. There is going to be a lapse of time, but it will come." This is the character of God's revelation. First God says that an event will happen. Then he says, "Don't you worry about what happens in between. Even though it looks like everything is going wrong, what I have said will happen is going to happen, and if it seems to delay, wait for it. It will come."

Stormy,I agree with you that this is written for the endtimes,I'm listening lately to the prophets again and its amazing to see how much is getting fulfilled!  I didn't think I live to see these days..

This preacher is a very good Messianic preacher ,I often listen to him ..

I posted a couple of other studies from him as well...

Just now, Stormy Monday said:

In his earlier years Ray Stedman understood Habakkuk 1 in a historical context.  A few years before he passed, he changed his mind and understood it in a futurist context. The problem with Christians - and I've been there - we don't like to admit our blunders OR change our minds.  

I don't know who Ray Stedmans is but I do know that its written for the last days,we see it happening right in front of our eyes,don't you think?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,943
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

14 hours ago, Stormy Monday said:

Mathew Henry says... 

Ray Stedman says... 

Habakkuk Chapter 1: Judgment of Judah by means of Chaldeans.

Habakkuk Chapter 2: Judgment of Chaldeans by means of 5 woes.

Habakkuk Chapter 3: God's Glory and Majesty and Providence magnified in faith.

Quote regarding the Pre-exilic Prophets and their ministry.

Let’s explore the pre-exilic prophets and their order of ministry. These prophets played a crucial role in Israel and Judah’s history, foretelling events that would significantly impact their people.

1. Jonah: Jonah’s ministry occurred during the pre-Assyrian period, around 734 to 722 BC. He warned of the Assyrian empire’s impending conquest, which eventually led to the exile of the northern tribes of Israel in 722 BC1.

2. Amos: Amos also ministered during the pre-Assyrian era, alongside Jonah. His prophecies emphasized social justice and God’s judgment against Israel’s injustices. His ministry spanned from around 760 to 750 BC1.

3. Hosea: Hosea’s prophetic work overlapped with Amos. He focused on Israel’s unfaithfulness and used his own troubled marriage as a symbol of God’s relationship with His people. Hosea’s ministry took place around 750 to 725 BC1.

4. Micah: Micah’s prophecies occurred during the pre-Assyrian period, aligning with the ministries of Jonah, Amos, and Hosea. He emphasized justice, humility, and the coming judgment. Micah ministered from around 735 to 700 BC1.

5. Isaiah: Isaiah’s extensive ministry spanned several decades, covering both the pre-Assyrian and pre-Babylonian periods. His prophecies warned of Assyria’s invasion and later Babylon’s conquest. Isaiah ministered from around 740 to 686 BC1.

6. Nahum: Nahum prophesied during the pre-Babylonian era, specifically addressing the fall of Nineveh (the capital of Assyria). His ministry occurred around 663 to 612 BC1.

7. Zephaniah: Zephaniah ministered during the pre-Babylonian period, emphasizing repentance and God’s judgment. His prophecies date back to around 640 to 609 BC1.

8. Habakkuk: Habakkuk’s ministry also took place before the Babylonian exile. He questioned God’s justice and received answers regarding the impending Babylonian invasion. Habakkuk ministered around 605 to 597 BC1.

9. Jeremiah: Jeremiah’s prophetic career spanned both the pre-Babylonian and exilic periods. He warned of Babylon’s invasion, witnessed the fall of Jerusalem, and continued to minister during the exile. Jeremiah’s ministry extended from around 627 to 586 BC1.

10. Ezekiel: Ezekiel prophesied during the pre-Babylonian and exilic times. His visions and symbolic actions conveyed messages of hope, restoration, and judgment. Ezekiel ministered from around 593 to 571 BC1.

These pre-exilic prophets played a vital role in shaping Israel and Judah’s destiny, providing warnings, comfort, and hope amidst challenging circumstances. Their messages continue to resonate throughout history.

[BingChat Co-pilot]