• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,021
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,329
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

3 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Survival of the fittest has it's place, as it culls out frailty and disease 

We aren't talking about survival of the fittest amongst wild animals.

We are talking about people who have pet foxes and then don't want them.   Or inhumane conditions of fur farms where the animals live in tiny cages.   So the rescue centers step up to help these animals.

@ladypeartree @JohnD  You both work with rescue, any comments?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,624
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I guess my thought is people should not try to domesticate foxes nor other wild animals, that it should not be legal to do so. Nor should having a wild animal as a domesticated pet be presented as a cute video, something to emulate.  

The idea of catch and release of an injured animal I see as  very different situation. It being a kindness of a very temporary nature, one that does not rob a creature of it's natural state of being. Example being the many and varied attempts to save whales in the wild versus capturing them and making them  attractions in swim tanks for the entertainment of humans.

But it takes all kinds I guess, if we all thought alike the place would be a total bore, eh?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,860
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  227
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

6 hours ago, Debp said:

We aren't talking about survival of the fittest amongst wild animals.

We are talking about people who have pet foxes and then don't want them.   Or inhumane conditions of fur farms where the animals live in tiny cages.   So the rescue centers step up to help these animals.

@ladypeartree @JohnD  You both work with rescue, any comments?

The sad fact is that far too often ANY animal is seen as a fashion statement ( I used to dread Cruffts as you KNOW the next year is going  to see a stupid over breeding of the winning breed and then abandonment ) Animals bred in captivity can be released into the wild but NOT when they are released close to human habitation as they have no fear of humans the way wild creatures do and it is almost impossible to do this is places such as the USA and the UK so then sanctuaries are essential if you are going to have to kill them all . I understand the showing of these cute videos as it is one of the best ways to garner support both financially and to stop the evil fur trade BUT I also understand how it can encourage people with no idea of what the true work is to want to " own " such animals  Not sure what the answer is other than getting rid of humans because even with legislation you get some who work outside the law 

• Thumbs Up 1