• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,711
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

My 12 year old daughter uses boost mobile, (we make her pay for her own cell phone) and it's only like $25 a month after she bought the phone, and they have several options from very affordable to expensive, and that gives her unlimited talk and text and like 10 gigs of data or something like that.

And they have a mobile app with a rewards program where it you sign on daily you get 5 cents off, there's a spinning wheel game you play on the app which will give you anywhere from 5 cents to 5 dollars off, then there's another one where you watch stupid commercials for 2 cents a video which you can usually watch several a day.

Then if you do these games 7 days a row they give you an additional 3 dollars and reset and start over.

I usually manage the app for her and I can usually knock her bill down to about $15 a month though I've gotten it far lower in the past. 

You can even bank them and save them so if say you know your going to have the money this month and you know next month is going to be right you can save them and get the whole month free.

And since it's a pre paid plan there's no month to month contract so if you let it expire it doesn't hurt you any.

A lot of of your prepaid phone carriers are very affordable. I've seen pre paid phones at Walmart as cheap as $20-40. I think my daughter spent closer to $100 for hers but she wanted a nice one and she was paying lol

In any case...if your paying $50 a month for a landline...I can almost garentee you in most places you can save money by going to a cell, even with a regular plan. Most carriers will even give you a phone free if you sign up with them.

Me and my wife use cricket on a family plan with my parents and again it's only $25 a month and they provided us with free phones when we signed up. I've since bought nicer phones because the ones they provided were junk, but we couldn't afford phones at the time. But they did work. we've since bought nicer phones but the free ones did get us by.

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,350
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  92

On 2/1/2024 at 3:34 AM, FJK said:

Sometimes YouTube can be a valuable resource for learning about those things we don't know anything about.

Thanks.  I checked YouTube and someone was reviewing the lesser known cell providers.

He recommended U.S. Mobile.

I talked with U.S. Mobile customer service.   He said since I just want to talk on the phone, he recommended their $10 a month plan.   That includes taxes!   (The taxes alone at AT&T were over eight dollars a month.)

The $10 plan has 1 GB of data.   I don't plan to use the Internet or text on the phone.   Just pay my phone bill via Internet.   So I guess 1 GB is ok?

They also have a plan for $15 a month with 2 GB.

They sell phones...two are on sale for $59.   Including a SIM card.   Guess I'll go for that.... Chinese brand NUU.   Android which is what my tablet is.

There is a Nokia for $89 on sale....but different operating system.

Haven't placed my order yet if anyone has input.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

On 1/31/2024 at 3:36 AM, Debp said:

I've never heard of Simple mobile.

So what exactly is "data" about?   If I go to a cell phone, I really just want to be able to phone people now and then.   I don't plan to text.

You can get another one. Simple mobile has text included. You don’t have to use it. I hardly ever use text.

6 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

You can get another one. Simple mobile has text included. You don’t have to use it. I hardly ever use text.

Did you see my above post about U.S. Mobile?   U.S. Mobile has even a $10 a month plan including taxes! 

They have other plans unlimited everything for $15 and $23.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  478
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,565
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, Debp said:

Did you see my above post?   U.S. Mobile has even a $10 a month plan including taxes! 

They have other plans unlimited everything for $15 and $23.

The price is good. But some of these phone companies don’t work as good. The phone will drop calls and the sound will fade in and out. I find simple mobile to work great I never have a drop call or fading. But you can try U.S. Mobile.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.73
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Debp said:

So I guess 1 GB is ok?

A Gig is actually a lot of data if you aren't constantly doing things like maps, movies, music, etc. (FWIW, I've known people that can't seem to walk across the street without pulling up a map on their cell phone to guide them).  Doing something like streaming music uses somewhere around 70 MB an hour.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FJK said:

A Gig is actually a lot of data if you aren't constantly doing things like maps, movies, music, etc. (FWIW, I've known people that can't seem to walk across the street without pulling up a map on their cell phone to guide them).  Doing something like streaming music uses somewhere around 70 MB an hour.

I was trying to buy the cellphone from them now.   For some reason the computer put my email address in the name spot.

Then it left off my apartment number.   Finally it put the zip code in the wrong spot!

So I didn't place my order after all.

And I saw they even have $6 a month plans!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,349
  • Content Per Day:  7.73
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, Debp said:

I was trying to buy the cellphone from them now.   For some reason the computer put my email address in the name spot.

Then it left off my apartment number.   Finally it put the zip code in the wrong spot!

So I didn't place my order after all.

And I saw they even have $6 a month plans!

This is the time you get to call customer service and find out how good they are at it before you buy, better than having to find out after you have already bought.

Consider it a blessing in disguise.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, FJK said:

This is the time you get to call customer service and find out how good they are at it before you buy, better than having to find out after you have already bought.

Consider it a blessing in disguise.

True.   I talked with their customer service previously and they are outsourced in India.   The guy told me $10 for the 1 GB plan.....the website said $6 for it.   And it was a little bit difficult understanding his accent.   Plus doing everything online like paying the bill with them... harder for me.

I called Consumer Cellular to ask about prices.   $15 a month with auto pay.   To save stress I will probably go with them.   They do it all over the phone and will mail the phone kit to me.

They are in the USA.

4 hours ago, Debp said:

called Consumer Cellular to ask about prices.   $15 a month with auto pay.   To save stress I will probably go with them.   They do it all over the phone and will mail the phone kit to me.

They are in the USA.

I got signed up with Consumer Cellular.   Bought a smartphone on sale for $99.  Once phone arrives they say to call them to finish setting it up.   Then I can cancel old AT&T.