Dennis1209

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

This is a little-known or talked about prophecy in Zephaniah that could possibly be applicable as things progress with Israel’s declared war.

The majority of those occupying what is today known as the Gaza Strip are the descendants and bloodlines of the ancient Philistines.

The minor prophet Zephaniah frequently references “the Day of the Lord,” indicating that the Day of the Lord is nearby when these things happen. With whom, and what has been happening in Israel since October 7, 2023, this war could bring about this prophecy, IMO.

In the same day also will I punish all those that leap on the threshold, which fill their masters' houses with violence (HAMAS) and deceit. (Zephaniah 1:9)

Violence - חָמָס ḥāmās 60× violence, destruction, malice, ruthlessness, fierceness.[1] Does cutting babies heads off, mutilating people, burning them alive in their homes, marching and slaughtering holocaust survivors, etc., constitute this definition.

Woe unto the inhabitants of the sea coast, the nation of the Cherethites! the word of the LORD is against you; O Canaan, the land of the Philistines, I will even destroy thee, that there shall be no inhabitant. (Zephaniah 2:5)

Cherethites -        כְּרֵתִי Kerêthı̂y, ker-ay-thee’; prob. from 3772 in the sense of executioner- running assian [2]

kârath, kaw-rath’; a prim. root; to cut (off, down or asunder); by impl. to destroy or consume; spec. to covenant (i.e. make an alliance or bargain.) [3]

For Gaza shall be forsaken, and Ashkelon a desolation: they shall drive out Ashdod at the noon day, and Ekron shall be rooted up. (Zephaniah 2:4)

The underlined four ancient cities above are all located on the Mediterranean Sea coast in the Gaza Strip, controlled and occupied by HAMAS (violence), and are of Philistine occupation and blood.

I have heard the reproach of Moab, and the revilings of the children of Ammon, whereby they have reproached my people, and magnified themselves against their border. (Zephaniah 2:8)

Moab and Ammon were Transjordan, modern Jordan of today, the homeland and territory of Hezbollah today.

This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified themselves against the people of the LORD of hosts. (Zephaniah 2:10)

[1] Mounce, William D. 2006. In Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words, 936. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

[2] Strong, James. 1996. In The New Strong’s Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[3] Strong, James. 1996. In The New Strong’s Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  5,117
  • Content Per Day:  1.48
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  09/01/1950

20 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

For Gaza shall be forsaken, and Ashkelon a desolation: they shall drive out Ashdod at the noon day, and Ekron shall be rooted up. (Zephaniah 2:4)

The underlined four ancient cities above are all located on the Mediterranean Sea coast in the Gaza Strip, controlled and occupied by HAMAS (violence), and are of Philistine occupation and blood.

Not correct. Ashkelon, Ashdod, and Ekron are all located in Israel. Only Gaza is in the Gaza Strip.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

3 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Not correct. Ashkelon, Ashdod, and Ekron are all located in Israel. Only Gaza is in the Gaza Strip.

But all were cities of the Philistines. Addressed here:

Isaiah 14:

29 “Do not rejoice, all you of Philistia,
Because the rod that struck you is broken;
For out of the serpent’s roots will come forth a viper,
And its offspring will be a fiery flying serpent.
30 The firstborn of the poor will feed,
And the needy will lie down in safety;
I will kill your roots with famine,
And it will slay your remnant.
31 Wail, O gate! Cry, O city!
All you of Philistia are dissolved;
For smoke will come from the north,
And no one will be alone in his [j]appointed times.”

32 What will they answer the messengers of the nation?
That the Lord has founded Zion,
And the poor of His people shall take refuge in it.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.36
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

20 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

This is a little-known or talked about prophecy in Zephaniah that could possibly be applicable as things progress with Israel’s declared war.

The majority of those occupying what is today known as the Gaza Strip are the descendants and bloodlines of the ancient Philistines.

The minor prophet Zephaniah frequently references “the Day of the Lord,” indicating that the Day of the Lord is nearby when these things happen. With whom, and what has been happening in Israel since October 7, 2023, this war could bring about this prophecy, IMO.

In the same day also will I punish all those that leap on the threshold, which fill their masters' houses with violence (HAMAS) and deceit. (Zephaniah 1:9)

Violence - חָמָס ḥāmās 60× violence, destruction, malice, ruthlessness, fierceness.[1] Does cutting babies heads off, mutilating people, burning them alive in their homes, marching and slaughtering holocaust survivors, etc., constitute this definition.

Woe unto the inhabitants of the sea coast, the nation of the Cherethites! the word of the LORD is against you; O Canaan, the land of the Philistines, I will even destroy thee, that there shall be no inhabitant. (Zephaniah 2:5)

Cherethites -        כְּרֵתִי Kerêthı̂y, ker-ay-thee’; prob. from 3772 in the sense of executioner- running assian [2]

kârath, kaw-rath’; a prim. root; to cut (off, down or asunder); by impl. to destroy or consume; spec. to covenant (i.e. make an alliance or bargain.) [3]

I have heard the reproach of Moab, and the revilings of the children of Ammon, whereby they have reproached my people, and magnified themselves against their border. (Zephaniah 2:8)

Moab and Ammon were Transjordan, modern Jordan of today, the homeland and territory of Hezbollah today.

This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified themselves against the people of the LORD of hosts. (Zephaniah 2:10)

[1] Mounce, William D. 2006. In Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old & New Testament Words, 936. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

[2] Strong, James. 1996. In The New Strong’s Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

[3] Strong, James. 1996. In The New Strong’s Dictionary of Hebrew and Greek Words. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

Zechariah 9:1 

The burden of the word of the Lord in the land of Hadrach, and Damascus shall be the rest thereof: when the eyes of man, as of all the tribes of Israel, shall be toward the Lord.

2 And Hamath also shall border thereby; Tyrus, and Zidon, though it be very wise.

3 And Tyrus did build herself a strong hold, and heaped up silver as the dust, and fine gold as the mire of the streets.

4 Behold, the Lord will cast her out, and he will smite her power in the sea; and she shall be devoured with fire.

5 Ashkelon shall see it, and fear; Gaza also shall see it, and be very sorrowful, and Ekron; for her expectation shall be ashamed; and the king shall perish from Gaza, and Ashkelon shall not be inhabited.

6 And a bastard shall dwell in Ashdod, and I will cut off the pride of the Philistines.

7 And I will take away his blood out of his mouth, and his abominations from between his teeth: but he that remaineth, even he, shall be for our God, and he shall be as a governor in Judah, and Ekron as a Jebusite.

8 And I will encamp about mine house because of the army, because of him that passeth by, and because of him that returneth: and no oppressor shall pass through them any more: for now have I seen with mine eyes.

9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.

10 And I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim, and the horse from Jerusalem, and the battle bow shall be cut off: and he shall speak peace unto the heathen: and his dominion shall be from sea even to sea, and from the river even to the ends of the earth.

11 As for thee also, by the blood of thy covenant I have sent forth thy prisoners out of the pit wherein is no water.

12 Turn you to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope: even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee;

13 When I have bent Judah for me, filled the bow with Ephraim, and raised up thy sons, O Zion, against thy sons, O Greece, and made thee as the sword of a mighty man.

14 And the Lord shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the Lord God shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south.

15 The Lord of hosts shall defend them; and they shall devour, and subdue with sling stones; and they shall drink, and make a noise as through wine; and they shall be filled like bowls, and as the corners of the altar.

16 And the Lord their God shall save them in that day as the flock of his people: for they shall be as the stones of a crown, lifted up as an ensign upon his land.

17 For how great is his goodness, and how great is his beauty! corn shall make the young men cheerful, and new wine the maids.

Edited by Mr. M

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,468
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I stand corrected. I should have expanded the area and called it ancient enemies of Israel, including the Gaza Strip. The Philistines, during the prophetic career of Zechariah (520 B.C – 515 B.C.) when he prophesized.

According to the Bible, the Philistines had a league of five major cities (Pentapolis): Ashdod, Ashkelon, Ekron (Tel Miqne; Khirbet el-Muqannaʿ), Gaza, and Gath.[1]

If Zechariah is yet a future prophecy, which I suspect, HAMAS may flee to these cities, or in some way, this current war may expand to include the areas. At any rate, this war could have prophetic significance.

[1] Sinclair, Lawrence A. 2000. “Philistines.” In Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible, edited by David Noel Freedman, Allen C. Myers, and Astrid B. Beck, 1050. Grand Rapids, MI: W.B. Eerdmans.

ISRAEL.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1