• Topic Count:  206
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  3,498
  • Content Per Day:  6.15
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/01/2024

5 hours ago, farouk said:

Here's a good verse:

"And David was greatly distressed; for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God." (1 Samuel 30.6)

So one may say David was distressed, but not discouraged . . .

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Topics Per Day:  1.31
  • Content Count:  3,893
  • Content Per Day:  6.88
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  02/18/1956

54 minutes ago, Vine Abider said:

If I'm following you correctly (and perhaps I'm not), I believe righteous judgement is not the same as discouragement.

I did not mention righteous judgment in this post at all, although I did mention it earlier in another thread. In yours, I was commenting on the parable that the devotional was based on, and that while there is encouragement in the teaching that there is a reward for being faithful in "a few things", there is also a severe warning against being unfaithful. Check it out, I think that is what you will find in the post.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  962
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,716
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi all, 

God, it seems to me, is on record as getting discouraged by the state of mankind's disobedience, especially by His chosen. If I recall at all correctly He received a plea or two from Moses about his  decisions against His chosen, and his decisions to punish them in order to  discourage further disobedience by them. He heard Moses and relented, again if I recall correctly he did so more than once.

• Interesting! 1

I do believe ( reached an understanding) that God will discourage us, for good purpose. His good purposes. And that He too gets discouraged in spite of his absolute sovereignty and foreknowledge, even his awesome ability to predestine those that are to be called out to be His own  under Jesus through the Holy Spirit.

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

On a lighter train  of thought. There is a very practical modern example of mankind's will being championed. It is in the song by one Frank Sinatra whom seemed delighted to live it- "I did it my way."

Much of the world says bravo bravo yes we are going to do it our way. While it may be a beautifully sung song the message is absolutely terrible.

The chosen of God do not do it their own way. They submit to God's way, and rejoice in doing that. Being discouraged by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit experience, doing it one's own way becomes anathema. 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  483
  • Content Per Day:  4.20
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

On a lighter train  of thought. There is a very practical modern example of mankind's will being championed.It is in the song by one Frank Sinatra whom seemed delighted to live it- "I did it my way."

Much of the world says bravo bravo yes we are going to do it our way. While it may be a beautifully sung song the message is absolutely terrible.

The chosen of God do not do it their own way. They submit to God's way, and rejoice in doing that. Being discouraged by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit experience, doing it one's own way becomes anathema. 

Psalm 2:1-6 (ESV), may give an answer:

1Why do the nations rage
and the peoples plot in vain?
2The kings of the earth set themselves,
and the rulers take counsel together,
against the LORD and against his Anointed, saying,
3“Let us burst their bonds apart
and cast away their cords from us.”

4He who sits in the heavens laughs;
the Lord holds them in derision.
5Then he will speak to them in his wrath,
and terrify them in his fury, saying,
6“As for me, I have set my King
on Zion, my holy hill.”

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6

11 hours ago, Neighbor said:

On a lighter train  of thought. There is a very practical modern example of mankind's will being championed. It is in the song by one Frank Sinatra whom seemed delighted to live it- "I did it my way."

An older brother I know, has asked that at his memorial I sing a song he wrote to the tune of that Sinatra song, but main lyric is, "And did it Yehweh!" 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

You can eat ice cream and sing too?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  6

This morning we were going over Romans 15 and a couple verses jumped out along the lines of this topic:  "Through perseverance and encouragement of scripture we might have hope. Now may the God of perseverance and encouragement . . ."  Romans 15:4-5

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,060
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

WHO  IS  IT  THAT  HAS  DISCOURAGED  SO  MANY  FROM  SPEAKING  THE  TRUTH 

PROVERBS 8:20  I lead in  --THE  WAY--  of righteousness in the midst of the paths of judgment

PROVERBS 12:17  he that speaketh truth showeth forth righteousness but a false witness deceit

2 PETER 2:2  and many shall follow their pernicious ways by reason of whom ---THE  WAY  OF  TRUTH--- SHALL  BE  EVIL  SPOKEN  OF ---

PSALM 50:16  but unto the wicked  GOD  saith what hast thou to do to declare  MY  statutes or that thou shouldest take  MY  covenant in thy mouth 

--50:17--  seeing thou hatest instruction and castest my words behind thee 

ACTS 20:29  for I know this that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you ---not sparing the flock---

--20:30-- also of your own selves ---shall men arise speaking perverse things--- to draw away disciples after them---

PROVERBS 22:20  have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge 

--22:21--  that I might make thee know the certainty of --- THE  WORDS  OF  TRUTH --- that thou mightest answer --- THE  WORDS  OF  TRUTH --- to them that send unto thee

JOB 38:2  who is this that darkeneth counsel  ---by words without knowledge---

PROVERBS 4:19  ---THE  WAY  OF  THE  WICKED---  is as darkness they know not at what they stumble 

JEREMIAH 9:3  and they bend their tongues like their bow for lies  ---  but they are not valiant for the truth upon the earth  ---  for they proceed from evil to evil ---and they know not  ME  saith  THE  LORD---

PSALM 15:1  LORD  who shall abide in thy tabernacle who shall dwell in thy holy hill 

--15:2-- he that walketh uprightly and worketh righteousness --and speaketh truth in his heart--

ACTS 10:34  THEN  PETER  OPENED  HIS  MOUTH AND  SAID  --- of a truth I perceive that  GOD  is no respecter of persons ---

--10:35--  but in every nation he that feareth  HIM  and worketh righteousness is accepted with  HIM

PROVERBS 8:8  

TITUS 3:9  but avoid foolish questions and genealogies and contentions and strivings about the law for they are unprofitable and vain 

--3:10--  A  MAN  THAT  IS  AN  HERETICK  AFTER  THE  FIRST  AND  SECOND  ADMONITION  REJECT

--3:11--  knowing that he that is such is subverted and sinneth being condemned of himself

GALATIANS 1:10  for do I now persuade men or  GOD  or do I seek to please men for if I yet pleased men I should not be the servant of  CHRIST

3 JOHN 1:4  I  HAVE  NO  GREATER  JOY  THAN  TO  HEAR  THAT  MY  CHILDREN  WALK  IN  TRUTH

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST