• Days Won:  92

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

Remember in Dr. Zhivago, when the government took their large manion and turned it into an apartment building of sorts? Yeah, I've said for two decades that I feel like I'm living in Dr. Zhivago, but without the love triangle.

Edited by Still Alive
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,139
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

At the office where I work live Ukrainians who fled from the war. The govt then also said people should take them in their home and there were people who did that. Also christians. It wasn't always a succes though. Mostly it was and it was not a permanent solution, but some were annoying and were used to live in a very warm house and gas costed a fortune thanks to Putin, so you go live in the cold and then they put their heater on or they wanted to cook and not just eat bread during the day and in the evening eat what the pot gives you without demands. I was glad that my place is too small, so I wouldn't have to feel guilty. Yay! Privacy! Good luck! Much better to just use buildings. Not houses. In Poland though they were very welcoming. People would just lay on the floor, cause there was not enough room, but they'd help em.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,508
  • Content Per Day:  12.16
  • Days Won:  31

2 hours ago, Renskedejonge said:

At the office where I work live Ukrainians who fled from the war. The govt then also said people should take them in their home and there were people who did that. Also christians. It wasn't always a succes though. Mostly it was and it was not a permanent solution, but some were annoying and were used to live in a very warm house and gas costed a fortune thanks to Putin, so you go live in the cold and then they put their heater on or they wanted to cook and not just eat bread during the day and in the evening eat what the pot gives you without demands. I was glad that my place is too small, so I wouldn't have to feel guilty. Yay! Privacy! Good luck! Much better to just use buildings. Not houses. In Poland though they were very welcoming. People would just lay on the floor, cause there was not enough room, but they'd help em.

Hi @Renskedejonge I think Israel has a special program for immigrant absorption, seeing as so many Jews go there from other countries, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80

2 hours ago, Renskedejonge said:

At the office where I work live Ukrainians who fled from the war. The govt then also said people should take them in their home and there were people who did that.

There is a difference between actual refugees and people that the USA is dealing with currently.

The people flooding our border with Mexico are crossing the border illegally trying to get benefits from the USA.   Also, they want jobs here in order to send money back to their home countries.

There might be some true refugees among them but probably not many.

I think most Americans agree with helping true refugees.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

1 minute ago, Debp said:

There is a difference between actual refugees and people that the USA is dealing with currently.

The people flooding our border with Mexico are crossing the border illegally trying to get benefits from the USA.   Also, they want jobs here in order to send money back to their home countries.

There might be some true refugees among them but probably not many.

I think most Americans agree with helping true refugees.

Yes that's the problem. You don't know who is who. 

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/15/1231712535/how-nyc-is-coping-with-175-000-migrants-from-the-southern-border

So New York is nice to them, so they all go there. 

Here they say they can only go to a small place in a Northern small town and those people are fed up with it and now they want to force other cities to take their fair share, cause you have these rich cities who are too antisocial to just take 100 refugees in and put em in a hotel.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,025
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,347
  • Content Per Day:  1.80

6 hours ago, Renskedejonge said:

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/15/1231712535/how-nyc-is-coping-with-175-000-migrants-from-the-southern-border

So New York is nice to them, so they all go there. 

Here they say they can only go to a small place in a Northern small town and those people are fed up with it and now they want to force other cities to take their fair share, cause you have these rich cities who are too antisocial to just take 100 refugees in and put em in a hotel.

What kind of refugees are you seeing in The Netherlands?   Is it all war torn countries?

41 minutes ago, Debp said:

What kind of refugees are you seeing in The Netherlands?   Is it all war torn countries?

It's mixed. You get Syrians who flee from war or are persecuted, lately a legal one in a nice big house turned out to be a Syrian war criminal, people go from Africa to Greece, get stuck in a horrible camp and send their minor kid alone, guys from Morocco who are safe and want a free govt house and govt money. Ukrainians have a special status and immediately got help.

In December 2023, the most common nationalities of asylum seekers and following travelers in the Netherlands were Syrian (39.6 percent), Iraqi (8.9 percent), Turkish (6.7 percent), Yemeni (4.9 percent), Eritrean (4, 6 percent) or Moldovan (2.8 percent). The remaining 32.4 percent had a different nationality.

Our problem is with the ones who are already legal. There are not enough houses that you're allowed to live in and Dutch people get mad if they have to wait 20 years for a house and then it goes to a Syrian family. It looks like they just set em up against each other and rich cities are selfish and refuse to take some in.

Edited by Renskedejonge
  • Interesting! 1