Sin though pleasurable is still deadly.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

I wouldn't say that sin is pleasurable, at least from my perspective. I base that judgment primarily on life as it was before the Lord called me from this world. I haven't forgotten where I came from. I'll offer a different perspective in this post. 

Matters of sin aren't always simple: ignorance can be involved, and the effect that one's upbringing had upon a living soul also plays a part. It's important to point out that the Lord is neither harsh nor lacking compassion. He looked upon me in my estate and was moved with compassion, delivering me from bondage not for the purpose of setting matters straight but rather, to release me from agony and suffering that I didn't understand. Like Nineveh, I didn't know my right from the left. 

The knowledge of what the Lord has done wasn't imparted to me until just a few years ago. I asked the Lord why He had chosen me, and He was pleased to reveal the reason why. It took the better part of two years, and this revelation involved a dear brother in the Lord whom I'm close to. I believed that I was a terrible man, given to evil deeds and immorality, but what the Lord revealed was a propensity for evil and immorality on my part instead. I was blind and ignorant, stumbling around in the darkness of this world, and I was enslaved to a legacy of abuse, neglect, and horror. 

I became acquainted with death at the age of five. I witnessed horrendous things being done to others, having endured the same being done to me. Nothing good or worthwhile was to be found upon this earth so that, on the cusp of adolescence (age 11), I attempted to end my life in despair. That alone testifies of the truth --- that the Lord was moved to deliver me from evil and terror --- placing me in His hand so that I might witness the impossible on this earth. I understood nothing in the beginning, but the Lord did not hold my ignorance against me. His work proceeds one step at a time, from season to season, all in His time. 

I never grasped the link between multiple relationships with women and my upbringing; the Lord declared this to me, explaining the wisdom of remaining single and unattached in Him. I found this difficult to believe, and so my dear friend came to me and faithfully repeated the counsel of the Lord, speaking about how my upbringing engineered the immorality of my young adulthood (multiple relationships). We cannot say that one sin is a pittance, that one sin is not equal to many sins, for the apostle James explains that one sin is equal to many (James 2:10). I went from one woman to the next, seeking that which I could not have in this world, and this only amplified the misery and suffering that bound me in chains. Attempts at suicide continued until that day when the Lord claimed me as His own. 

This is not to say that I was blameless at any time, for I certainly wasn't! No... I was blind, ignorant, and powerless to serve sin. This is what moves our Father in heaven for our sake, knowing the depth and width of our estate. Knowledge comes with the arrival of His Spirit; He explains what we are incapable of perceiving due to our estate on this earth. When the Lord came and called to me, His coming was the promise of deliverance from bondage and my place in His house. This is why I wept when the Lord said, Come to Me, for I could see the end of agony and misery in Him! Christ would fashion me into the man He intended for me to be, and I would find both rest and healing in His hand. 

This is why it's good that I don't have a wife, my friends. This is the kindness and mercy of the Lord toward me, that He delivered me from continuing to make the same terrible errors over and again. It's one thing to meditate upon the hidden things of God, and another for the Lord to reveal such things to man as it pleases Him. He chose me because He loves me, and He was moved for my sake. Ah, but that's why God so loves the world! Christ loves us and is moved for our sake. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Praise God! 1
  • Interesting! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  953
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,589
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

10 hours ago, D. Adrien said:

The following is gleaned from a sermon I heard a number of years ago which elaborated upon the damage and destruction that sin produces in the lives of sinners. I neglected to note who the Preacher was and cannot recall, anonymous, he shall remain. How sin effects the affected and the falling back into bondage;

Separates the sinner from God. Isaiah 59: 1,2

Behold, the LORD’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
but your iniquities have made a separation
between you and your God,

Blocks prayer. Isaiah 1:15, Proverbs 28:9

When you spread out your hands,               
I will hide my eyes from you;
even though you make many prayers,
I will not listen;
your hands are full of blood.

If one turns away his ear from hearing the law,
even his prayer is an abomination.

Is disobedience. Acts 5:32, Psalm 51:11

And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.

Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.

Takes away peace. Isaiah 51:20

Your sons have fainted;
they lie at the head of every street
like an antelope in a net;
they are full of the wrath of the LORD,
the rebuke of your God.

Leads to ignorance of God's truth. Proverbs 4:19

The way of the wicked is like deep darkness;
they do not know over what they stumble.

Produces madness. (Observe the current times). Ecclesiastes 9:3

This is an evil in all that is done under the sun, that the same event happens to all. Also, the hearts of the children of man are full of evil, and madness is in their hearts while they live, and after that they go to the dead.

Shortens life. Proverbs 10:27, Romans 6:23

The fear of the LORD prolongs life,
but the years of the wicked will be short.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Produces death. Ezekiel 18:4,20

Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die.

The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son.

Quoting just to get myself and perhaps the thread back on track.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  454
  • Content Per Day:  4.68
  • Days Won:  1

5 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

I wouldn't say that sin is pleasurable, at least from my perspective. I base that judgment primarily on life as it was before the Lord called me from this world. I haven't forgotten where I came from. I'll offer a different perspective in this post. 

Matters of sin aren't always simple: ignorance can be involved, and the effect that one's upbringing had upon a living soul also plays a part. It's important to point out that the Lord is neither harsh nor lacking compassion. He looked upon me in my estate and was moved with compassion, delivering me from bondage not for the purpose of setting matters straight but rather, to release me from agony and suffering that I didn't understand. Like Nineveh, I didn't know my right from the left. 

The knowledge of what the Lord has done wasn't imparted to me until just a few years ago. I asked the Lord why He had chosen me, and He was pleased to reveal the reason why. It took the better part of two years, and this revelation involved a dear brother in the Lord whom I'm close to. I believed that I was a terrible man, given to evil deeds and immorality, but what the Lord revealed was a propensity for evil and immorality on my part instead. I was blind and ignorant, stumbling around in the darkness of this world, and I was enslaved to a legacy of abuse, neglect, and horror. 

I became acquainted with death at the age of five. I witnessed horrendous things being done to others, having endured the same being done to me. Nothing good or worthwhile was to be found upon this earth so that, on the cusp of adolescence (age 11), I attempted to end my life in despair. That alone testifies of the truth --- that the Lord was moved to deliver me from evil and terror --- placing me in His hand so that I might witness the impossible on this earth. I understood nothing in the beginning, but the Lord did not hold my ignorance against me. His work proceeds one step at a time, from season to season, all in His time. 

I never grasped the link between multiple relationships with women and my upbringing; the Lord declared this to me, explaining the wisdom of remaining single and unattached in Him. I found this difficult to believe, and so my dear friend came to me and faithfully repeated the counsel of the Lord, speaking about how my upbringing engineered the immorality of my young adulthood (multiple relationships). We cannot say that one sin is a pittance, that one sin is not equal to many sins, for the apostle James explains that one sin is equal to many (James 2:10). I went from one woman to the next, seeking that which I could not have in this world, and this only amplified the misery and suffering that bound me in chains. Attempts at suicide continued until that day when the Lord claimed me as His own. 

This is not to say that I was blameless at any time, for I certainly wasn't! No... I was blind, ignorant, and powerless to serve sin. This is what moves our Father in heaven for our sake, knowing the depth and width of our estate. Knowledge comes with the arrival of His Spirit; He explains what we are incapable of perceiving due to our estate on this earth. When the Lord came and called to me, His coming was the promise of deliverance from bondage and my place in His house. This is why I wept when the Lord said, Come to Me, for I could see the end of agony and misery in Him! Christ would fashion me into the man He intended for me to be, and I would find both rest and healing in His hand. 

This is why it's good that I don't have a wife, my friends. This is the kindness and mercy of the Lord toward me, that He delivered me from continuing to make the same terrible errors over and again. It's one thing to meditate upon the hidden things of God, and another for the Lord to reveal such things to man as it pleases Him. He chose me because He loves me, and He was moved for my sake. Ah, but that's why God so loves the world! Christ loves us and is moved for our sake. 

I find this very moving emotionally. Thank you Marathoner. 

• Thanks 1

The deceitfulness of sin portrays sin as pleasurable. Heb 11: 24,25

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.

The passions of the flesh can be addicting.

• Well Said! 1

14 minutes ago, D. Adrien said:

The deceitfulness of sin portrays sin as pleasurable. Heb 11: 24,25

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.

The passions of the flesh can be addicting.

Indeed. It would be good to reveal what I was seeking in those disastrous relationships with women: peace. Solace. Something good and worthwhile in this world. Ah, but isn't that the deceitfulness of sin? To promise that which it cannot possibly give?

I was not acquainted with the words of the Lord in my youth. If I had been, then I would have known His rebuke of that deceit:

Peace I leave you, My peace I give you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, nor fearful. (John 14:27 NASB)

I didn't know that this world could not give what I lacked. Christ is the only One who can give that which I desperately needed, and He never turned me away. On the contrary, He came and called to me to Him. 

Edited by Marathoner
grammar
  • Well Said! 1

9 minutes ago, Marathoner said:

Indeed. It would be good to reveal what I was seeking in those disastrous relationships with women: peace. Solace. Something good and worthwhile in this world. Ah, but isn't that the deceitfulness of sin? To promise that which it cannot possibly give?

I was not acquainted with the words of the Lord in my youth. If I had been, then I would have known His rebuke of that deceit:

Peace I leave you, My peace I give you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, nor fearful. (John 14:27 NASB)

I didn't know that this world could not give what I lacked. Christ is the only One who can give that which I desperately needed, and He never turned me away. On the contrary, He came and called to me to Him. 

I too spent a number of years pursuing my passions between numerous women. I knew better having been involved with a church for approximately 4 years, but my unrepentant sins left a door wide open for further temptations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

p.S. I have one too ( It came with my Russian catalog  bride via Texas).

image.png.4ce8ee266d1c44b8d015d4c58ca3d13d.png

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Interesting! 1

3 hours ago, Michael37 said:

image.png.4ce8ee266d1c44b8d015d4c58ca3d13d.png

Interesting AI-generated image. :thinking:

14 hours ago, D. Adrien said:

Hello Neighbor, I have found for myself  that practicing Christianity and leaving the doctrinal stuff to others provides me with the most peace. Context is nearly everything though, as to not get drawn into obscure and wrongheaded thinking.

Good counsel, my friend. I focus upon what the Lord places before me, giving no thought to what others are doing, knowing that I am first responsible for my own conduct and secondly, that I am responsible toward others: brethren and my neighbor alike. It's not a question of what is done to me but rather, what I do that matters to the Lord. 

Another way of putting it is this: we carry a burden of loving care for others and in keeping with the commandments of Christ, we are to love others just as He loves us. We forgive others just as our Father in heaven forgives us, leaving matters of recompense and judgment to the Lord. I forgive so no root of bitterness nor loathing rises up, staining both my sight and judgment. That's something which the natural man cannot grasp; forgiveness is not permissiveness by any means. Hardly. We do not burden ourselves with the cares of this world, holding nothing against others while we sojourn on earth. 

Trusting in the Lord is what we do, yes? His Spirit leads us into all truth and away from wrong-headed obscurity. Listening to His voice is our assurance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,949
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

Interesting AI-generated image. :thinking: