• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,348
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

On 5/1/2024 at 6:34 PM, Michael37 said:

Who should prophesy, and who should judge their prophecy, that is the question.

We can judge. An earnest and sincere brother may deliver what he believes to be the will of the Lord to another, ignorant of how his own convictions and beliefs are speaking. This does not make the brother a false prophet or a liar. In judging the matter, we discern his sincerity. He's simply mistaken. 

I've had more than one come to me in such a way and by no means did I react harshly or unkindly toward them. Quite the contrary. I thank them for sharing the burden of their heart with me. It's a precious matter. They will see for themselves as the will of the Lord unfolds. That's how it should be. 

So many strive in vain to recreate something that passed on over time: what most call the "early church." The early church did not arise because of the efforts of men, and the Body of Christ has not endured since those days because of the efforts of men. Indeed, the Body has endured in spite of man and his vanity. The Lord called me forth after all. Seeing as how He did this, He can call anyone, anywhere, at any given time. 

I have never considered pastors to be endowed with any measure of authority by God over others... that is, pastors who walk according to their calling in the Lord. A pastor does not appoint himself; He is called. The pastor does not supervise, he watches over the well-being of whomever the Lord places in his care. The pastor serves them as a shepherd serves his flock. In my experience, I have encountered two different pastors:

The one who watches over families and children, and one who shepherds the wayward and the struggling. The brother whom the Lord sent me to was both at different times.   

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,128
  • Content Per Day:  9.65
  • Days Won:  149

On 5/3/2024 at 7:19 PM, Michael37 said:

There is an interesting dynamic in the Book of Acts where Paul receives the prophecy of Agabus as confirmation he is going to Jerusalem, but others hearing it beg him not to go. Some interpretations of this have been weird, casting shade on Paul.

Act 20:22-23  And now, behold, I am going bound by the Spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall happen to me there,  (23)  except that the Holy Spirit witnesses in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions await me.

Act 21:10-16  And as we stayed more days, a certain prophet from Judea named Agabus came down.  (11)  And coming to us, and taking Paul's belt, and binding his hands and feet, he said, The Holy Spirit says these things: So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man whose belt this is, and will deliver him into the hands of the nations.  (12)  And when we heard these things, both we and those of the place begged him not to go up to Jerusalem.  (13)  Then Paul answered, What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be bound, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.  (14)  And he not being persuaded, we ceased, saying, The will of the Lord be done.  (15)  And after those days, making ready, we went up to Jerusalem.  (16)  Also some of the disciples from Caesarea went with us, bringing Mnason, a certain Cypriot, an old disciple with whom we were to lodge.

This is interesting. My NIV version of Acts 20:23 says- I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me.

This was an  ongoing threat which Paul seems to have disregarded continuing to push forward in his purpose, thinking his own safety as secondary. Even in the face of prophetic warnings confirming his inner warnings.

I see this as preparation of the Spirit rather than a call for him to cease his actions.He was "counting the cost" at every turn, and each time he placed himself on the altar of the cause.His expectations were in line. Maybe similar to the feelings a missionary to China or Russia may be feeling. Realizing they may never return.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  245
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,033
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

5 hours ago, Starise said:

This is interesting. My NIV version of Acts 20:23 says- I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me.

This was an  ongoing threat which Paul seems to have disregarded continuing to push forward in his purpose, thinking his own safety as secondary. Even in the face of prophetic warnings confirming his inner warnings.

I see this as preparation of the Spirit rather than a call for him to cease his actions.He was "counting the cost" at every turn, and each time he placed himself on the altar of the cause.His expectations were in line. Maybe similar to the feelings a missionary to China or Russia may be feeling. Realizing they may never return.

A number of times I have been warned by the Holy Spirit of "rough passage" ahead and my first thought has been that I should take a detour and not show up at the time and place proposed, but the Holy Spirit has prompted me to stay the course, so I have done that and Yes, rough passage endured by the grace of God with Psalm 23 in mind. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Once I was driving late in the city and a man claimed I cut him off. I had a sudden instruction to get in the car and drive off while he was talking, so I did.

9 hours ago, Starise said:

Once I was driving late in the city and a man claimed I cut him off. I had a sudden instruction to get in the car and drive off while he was talking, so I did.

Yes, that's obedience to the Holy Spirit. 

There have been a few times when the Holy Spirit has spoken to me but the noise and business of the day have seemed more important, and then something has happened and I have wished I had paid attention to the Holy Spirit.

This has led me to ask the Holy Spirit to speak louder to get my undivided attention if I'm not picking up.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,218
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/25/1970

14 hours ago, Michael37 said:

This has led me to ask the Holy Spirit to speak louder to get my undivided attention if I'm not picking up.

Lol I have said that often to God. I'm glad He did not listen. Imagine if He really talked loud.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RdJ said:

Lol I have said that often to God. I'm glad He did not listen. Imagine if He really talked loud.

I do use the Amplified Bible when necessary. . .:niceone:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2024 at 7:32 AM, Michael37 said:

I tend to be the same way. In the small groups we attend a leader will often wait a few minutes for the Lord to speak to us. This helps me in my prayer life when I apply it.

I like the idea of asking the Holy Spirit to speak louder.

8 hours ago, Starise said:

I tend to be the same way. In the small groups we attend a leader will often wait a few minutes for the Lord to speak to us. This helps me in my prayer life when I apply it.

I like the idea of asking the Holy Spirit to speak louder.

I'm blessed everyday just doing routine tasks and needing to decide on the method and means to do something and I will be given the answer by the Holy Spirit. If I'm not onto it the enemy will try and get me to dismiss the Spirit's solution, which is a good reason to pray and take every thought into captivity, as we are exhorted to do:

2Co 10:5  casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

It says to bring EVERY thought into captivity TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST, even the little ones, like what tool to use.

1 minute ago, Michael37 said:

I'm blessed everyday just doing routine tasks and needing to decide on the method and means to do something and I will be given the answer by the Holy Spirit. If I'm not onto it the enemy will try and get me to dismiss the Spirit's solution, which is a good reason to pray and take every thought into captivity, as we are exhorted to do:

2Co 10:5  casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

It says to bring EVERY thought into captivity TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST, even the little ones, like what tool to use.

Maybe similarly when I walk into a store I ask for good buying choices which often means I leave with nothing. 
This week is a week leaning into the Lord with no point of reference and no familiarity.

I believe I know what you are referring to. I get them like little passing heart tugs. And I seem to know when the enemy is running interference. 

• Thumbs Up 1