The W, W, W, W, W, and H of Prayer

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  196
  • Content Per Day:  0.50
  • Days Won:  0

Reminders - The Who, What, Why, Where, When, and How of Prayer.

Prayer is something we take for granted as a part of being a Christian, but sadly, we tend to talk about prayer more than we pray. Prayer is communicating with our creator, and Him communicating with us. With that in mind, we should try to spend more time listening and paying attention to Him, instead of only telling Him what we want. Here are some basics about prayer that are good to be reviewed from time to time.

To Whom should we pray? Obviously, we are to pray to Almighty God, but specifically we are to address our Father in our prayers. Addressing the Holy Spirit or Jesus is not taught in the Bible, and Jesus explicitly instructed us to pray to the Father. Luke 11:2

What should we pray? We are told to include a wide variety of things in our prayers. God loves to hear from His kids, (that’s us!) so tell Him about every aspect of your life. Include your needs, your doubts, your triumphs, and your intercessions for others. Tell Him everything, “casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7

Why should we pray? Primarily, as an expression of worship, fellowship, and thanksgiving to the one who has given us eternal life. Then, instead of worrying and being stressed, we lay before Him our burdens, our needs, our doubts, and fears. Matthew 11:28-30 Philippians 4:6 says, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.”

Where should we pray? Wherever you are. Paul told Timothy, “I will therefore, that men pray everywhere…” 1 Timothy 2:8 We can pray alone in our ‘closets’ or with a group in public. Wherever we are is the right place to pray. Be listening for His voice, watching for His direction, and respond to Him anywhere you happen to be.

When should we pray? Jesus said, Watch therefore, and pray always... Luke 21:36 and Paul tells us to pray without ceasing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:17 This means we are to be in fellowship with and be communicating with God continually because He is with us all the time. Jesus said …and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Matthew 28:2

How should we pray? By faith and with the spirit. Practically speaking, we are to take what the Bible says and believe it. Pray God’s promises back to Him. For example, when you have a need, pray something like, ‘Father, you said, “And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus,” Philippians 4:19 so I’m thanking you in advance for your provision, amen.’ Praying with eyes open or shut, standing, sitting, kneeling, with hands clasped or raised in the air, are all acceptable positions of our body to pray. But the position and condition of our heart is more important to Him. Keep it cleansed. 1 John 1:9

Final Thoughts: Everybody knows we are to pray ‘in Jesus’ name’ but what does that really mean? It is not a magic formula like ‘Abracadabra’ that we mindlessly add to the end of a prayer so it will get answered. God is not concerned whether we say the words, but rather that we understand what it means. To pray ‘in Jesus’ name’ is to pray by, and in His authority. As the Old Testament High Priest could not enter the Holiest of Holies of the tabernacle without the blood of a holy sacrifice, neither can we enter God’s holy presence without reliance on Jesus’ holy blood being shed for us. Because his own blood was sprinkled on the Mercy Seat in the heavenlies, He now commands us to “…hold fast our profession [and to] …come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:14-16 We are praying in His name when we remember that our authority comes from Jesus and that He sends us to His Father to pray. Amen.     ph

• This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  967
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,845
  • Content Per Day:  5.06
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 5/17/2024 at 2:00 PM, PATrobas said:

God is not concerned whether we say the words, but rather that we understand what it means.

Hmm, seems if that were so then there would be no need to articulate prayer at all.  I don't know about "we", I only know about me. It is important that my tongue vocally confesses  what my my heart feels. In that I should be able to use words so that I know what my prayer is, even if God already knows before I think and speak.

If I cannot articulate the feelings of my heart because my vocabulary limits me then the Holy Spirit will speak in groaning too deep for my understanding. Though that may be beneficial it is not edifying. I do think that  being detailed and careful in what I speak to my LORD is important disciple for my own growth.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Huh?  I don't get it. 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  442
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,257
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

52 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hmm, seems if that were so then there would be no need to articulate prayer at all.  I don't know about "we", I only know about me. It is important that my tongue vocally confesses  what my my heart feels. In that I should be able to use words so that I know what my prayer is, even if God already knows before I think and speak.

If I cannot articulate the feelings of my heart because my vocabulary limits me then the Holy Spirit will speak in groaning too deep for my understanding. Though that may be beneficial it is not edifying. I do think that  being detailed and careful in what I speak to my LORD is important disciple for my own growth.

I am always confused at your responses, Neighbor. Did PATrobas already say this??

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,260
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

For me luke 11:2 was being shared to those that were still under the law. Yet in the NT they did not pray like that any more. You quoted some verses from the four gospels yet not "Christ say to them Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father" ", Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you" "If anything you ask [me] in the name my, I will do"

Even when it came to healing Peter and John "So when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: “Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk?" Jump to verse 16 "And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all." 

Who is the Son again? Rev "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

This was for me about a year or two ago I had a dream where He said you don't invoke/speak the name of Jesus enough. Then a few weeks ago.. just to share maybe help others. He said "do not entertain doubt". Again for me. Both go inline with the word of God. 

Like in a dream my dead mom shows up and she looked very young. In the dream I said "ok if you are my mom then tell me we are washed by the blood". You can say GOD all you want.. but ...haha oh love this.. the words in the song playing "I am saved by the blood of JESUS saved by the blood" Jeremy Camp My Defender. YES! What are odds. 

That name Yeshua/Jesus Christ every knee shall bow. Again Peter and John.. faith in that named healed this man. So me.. making sure I have always and always do repent and what ever the need I see what my Father said in His word and I pray that.. in JESUS name! And He always does it.. always for He cannot lie. I don't do anything just believe.. He did it all. haha pumped up now

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I was addressing using the words 'in Jesus' name', not the prayers themselves. I was saying that mindlessly including 'inJesus'nameamen' at the end of a prayer does nothing. But knowing that by the authority of Jesus I can righteously petition the Father is praying in His name. Remember the old '50's cop shows where the policeman was chasing down the robber yelling "Stop! In the name of the law!" The command to stop meant nothing to the robber until it was backed up by the authority that was commanding him. He knew that the command was backed by a person who could shoot him. So it was a good reason to obey the authority. Likewise us praying in the authority of the one who made it possible to stand before a Holy God. Not on my authority but on His. Blessings.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

4 minutes ago, TheBlade said:

For me luke 11:2 was being shared to those that were still under the law. Yet in the NT they did not pray like that any more. You quoted some verses from the four gospels yet not "Christ say to them Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 13 You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father" ", Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you" "If anything you ask [me] in the name my, I will do"

Even when it came to healing Peter and John "So when Peter saw it, he responded to the people: “Men of Israel, why do you marvel at this? Or why look so intently at us, as though by our own power or godliness we had made this man walk?" Jump to verse 16 "And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all." 

Who is the Son again? Rev "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

This was for me about a year or two ago I had a dream where He said you don't invoke/speak the name of Jesus enough. Then a few weeks ago.. just to share maybe help others. He said "do not entertain doubt". Again for me. Both go inline with the word of God. 

Like in a dream my dead mom shows up and she looked very young. In the dream I said "ok if you are my mom then tell me we are washed by the blood". You can say GOD all you want.. but ...haha oh love this.. the words in the song playing "I am saved by the blood of JESUS saved by the blood" Jeremy Camp My Defender. YES! What are odds. 

That name Yeshua/Jesus Christ every knee shall bow. Again Peter and John.. faith in that named healed this man. So me.. making sure I have always and always do repent and what ever the need I see what my Father said in His word and I pray that.. in JESUS name! And He always does it.. always for He cannot lie. I don't do anything just believe.. He did it all. haha pumped up now

Space requirements prevent including all the verses pertaining to a particular subject thus I left out some very pertinent verses that you quote. I am not minimizing the name of Jesus. I use Acts 4:12  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. along with Acts 2:21, and Romans 10:13 too. There is power in that name as you said, every knee will bow. But when we pray, we are praying to God, not men, so praying in Jesus' name is simply a reminder to me of my humble position before an almighty God and that it is only because my High Priest Jesus has gone before me to allow that audience. Good points. Blessings.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,486
  • Content Per Day:  7.13
  • Days Won:  99

29 minutes ago, PATrobas said:

I was addressing using the words 'in Jesus' name', not the prayers themselves. I was saying that mindlessly including 'inJesus'nameamen' at the end of a prayer does nothing. But knowing that by the authority of Jesus I can righteously petition the Father is praying in His name. Remember the old '50's cop shows where the policeman was chasing down the robber yelling "Stop! In the name of the law!" The command to stop meant nothing to the robber until it was backed up by the authority that was commanding him. He knew that the command was backed by a person who could shoot him. So it was a good reason to obey the authority. Likewise us praying in the authority of the one who made it possible to stand before a Holy God. Not on my authority but on His. Blessings.

Indeed. "In His name" is neither a mantra nor special formula. One is in His name by virtue of belonging to Christ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,290
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/17/2024 at 1:00 PM, PATrobas said:

Paul tells us to pray without ceasing.”

What that really means is; pray without ceasing......default_cool2.gif.458a86259ac824e6bea71a2f87c41a03.gif
A no brainer to me. The codicil; Pray according to his will that he hears you.

"And this is the confidence that we have toward him,
              that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us"

"And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask,
            we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him"

Thanks Pat...

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PATrobas said:

I was saying that mindlessly including 'inJesus'nameamen' at the end of a prayer does nothing.

Hi, I suppose a mindless prayer avails little; except that the Holy Spirit knows the mind heart and spirit of each of those He indwells. The Holy Spirit is able to petition through Yeshua, "in the name of Jesus" if you will, to God the Father  of the need  and desire of one whose words fail as the heart feels the need to petition the Father.

To conclude with I ask "in the name of Jesus" is not a mindless add on. It is at the very least verbal punctation, clarification of  one's standing before God, by whom one is heard petitioning to God. It is not a mantra nor is it mindless. Instead it is very articulate and accurate.

If "in the name of Jesus"  is perceived by another as being mindless I suspect that is a problem of that hearer of the prayer. That  problem is a stumbling block not placed there by the person whose prayer acknowledges that it is by the power of Yeshua that the Father hears and acknowledges through His Son Yeshua, all by enlightenment enabled through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

To include in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, is not offensive either. It is humble acknowledgement to God of one's understanding as personally enabled by the Holy Spirit. It may be endorsed or seconded by another or others too.

To say  it is mindless I think is an error, a failure of the ears and the mind and spirit of a hearer of the prayers to engage along with that person's mind and heart in the prayer. It is not a failure on the part of the speaker of the prayer to say in the name of Jesus.  

To pray aloud or silently by one's self may also include the acknowledgement to God that one appreciates the awesome sacrifice made by Jesus in their  behalf. To come praying in the name of Jesus  is a high honor extended by God's will alone,  a privilege extended by  merciful God  to those that do so through the enabling of the Holy Spirit knowing that Yeshua is Lord, God, and personal savior.

12 hours ago, believeinHim said:

I am always confused at your responses, Neighbor.

Hi, That is alright! Yeshua does not require you to understand me. Not at all.

It is only important to all that each that are called, specifically called, by the Holy Spirit  respond affirmatively to that call and thus receive the Holy Spirit. For without the enabling by the Holy Spirit the word of God is not understandable to any person.

Way too many of us have far too many rules of order for others to seek and receive God and His blessings.

All any really need do is hear the call  by the Holy Spirit plus, importantly, acknowledge that call. The rules and procedures and many what nots added by mankind are just so much  stuff headed  for the dung gate.