• Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

Wal-Mart faces boycott for 'banning' Christmas

Top retailer accused of discrimination while promoting Kwanzaa, Hanukkah

A Catholic advocacy group has launched a national boycott against Wal-Mart, claiming the world's No. 1 retailer has in effect "banned" Christmas, while promoting other seasonal holidays such as Hanukkah and Kwanzaa.

But Wal-Mart tells WorldNetDaily it has "absolutely not" banned Christmas, but is just "trying to serve all our customers for the holiday season." According to the New York-based Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, the controversy was sparked when a woman recently complained to Wal-Mart that the store was replacing its "Merry Christmas" greeting with "Happy Holidays."

The League says the woman received an e-mail response from a customer-service representative, reading exactly as follows:

Walmart is a world wide organization and must remain conscious of this. The majority of the world still has different practices other than "christmas" which is an ancient tradition that has its roots in Siberian shamanism. The colors associated with "christmas" red and white are actually a representation of of the aminita mascera mushroom. Santa is also borrowed from the Caucuses, mistletoe from the Celts, yule log from the Goths, the time from the Visigoth and the tree from the worship of Baal. It is a wide wide world.

Catholic League president Bill Donohue speculated the writer of that e-mail was perhaps drunk
, so he sent the response to Dan Fogelman in Wal-Mart's public-relations department.

Donohue received back a response from Fogelman, who wrote in part:

As a retailer, we recognize some of our customers may be shopping for Chanukah or Kwanzaa gifts during this time of year and we certainly want these customers in our stores and to feel welcome, just as we do those buying for Christmas. As an employer, we recognize the significance of the Christmas holiday among our family of associates ... and close our stores in observance, the only day during the year that we are closed.

"It's nice to know that Wal-Mart is closed on a federal holiday," explains Donohue, who says he's asking the leaders of 126 religious organizations spanning seven religious communities to boycott the retail giant. He points out, and WND confirmed, that when using the company's online search engine, if the world "Hanukkah" is entered, 200 items for sale are returned. The term "Kwanzaa" yields 77. But when "Christmas" is entered, the message returned says: "We've brought you to our 'Holiday' page based on your search."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

Well, they still called the Christmas Trees "Christmas Trees". What else could they call them? Yes, Keith, we now live in a culture where the names of Jesus and God are under fire. We are being faced with religious persecution here in America, which was founded on Christianity. Jesus and Christmas are being removed from many places and are being replaced with holiday stuff. When our kids were in public school back in the early '80's in Raleigh, NC, they had already removed any references to Jesus during the holidays. Our kids had to sing about Santa and Jingle Bells, etc. They did not have prayer and they did not pledge allegiance to the flag of America. I can't imagine what the schools in Raleigh are like 20 years later.

Then we moved to a small town in TN where the principal led devotions for the students over the loud speaker in the mornings and where he read the Christmas story to the parents at the Christmas program. Wow! What a contrast!!

Then we moved to Greenville, SC which was half way between the two, but the schools still sang about Jesus and they did here in Rock Hill, SC, too. My grandchildren's elementary school choir sang "Happy Birthday Jesus" this past year, but most of the rest of the songs were about Santa Claus.

I look at Santa Claus as a false Christ - he sees you when you are sleeping, he knows when you are awake, he knows when you've been bad or good and he can fly all over the world and deliver presents to all children everywhere all in one night. I only know of one person who is all knowing, all powerful and is everywhere all at the same time and that is God! Most parents think Santa Claus is harmless, but I think he is a powerful deception in the minds of children and adults alike that prepare them for an even greater deception by someone who will appear "harmless." We did not teach our children to believe in Santa.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

A local radio station plays Christmas music for the entire month of December. Last year we noticed that they removed every song that had reference to Jesus in it. The only songs they played were things like Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, Jingle Bells and Jingle Bell Rock. No more Mary's Boy Child, a personal favorite of mine. Or Silent Night, or Oh Come all Ye Faithful etc.

Very sad that it has come to this.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  08/08/1964

At my work place, our offices have glass walls (so the boss can see if we are in and working!). Well, every christmas I buy these plastic cling-on decorations and stick them on my glass wall and one of them says: Merry Christmas, in big letters.

So far, nobody said anything.

What is funny is that I work (international company) in the "Middle East and North Africa" department, so you can imagine who I am surrended by! They are all pro-Palestinians and anti-Israelis!!

I wonder why God put me in that department?!?

Anyway, four more weeks and I'm putting my MERRY CHRISTMAS cling-on on my glass wall. :huh:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You go, Abi!!

I made a decision to stay away from any part of Christmas or the "Happy Holidays" that has removed Jesus from it. I haven't decorated or bought gifts in years. Imagine, taking Silent Night and O Come All Ye Faithful off the radio playlist! That's offensive to me!

Never once do/will I utter Happy Holidays. It will be Merry Christmas with as much Jesus as I can possibly include in the season!

It just burns my buttons that Christianity has to be nullified completely so that cults, I mean other "religions", can feel allowed to have their idols and rituals.

What I wouldn't give for just 30 minutes standing before the president, congress, etc., and let loose with a very rousing rendition of, "What in the ham hocks do you people think you're doing?" It really hurts my heart to think of how much this must hurt Jesus, after all He did. :huh: If nobody else on earth ever praises and worships Him, I will never stop!

I have so much anger at "the world" and I don't know what to do with it! I loathe that part of my attitude that's like, "Just wait, they'll see! Then they'll be sorry!" That attitude is wrong. I do have pity on them, too. I do want to see these people come to the saving knowledge of the Lord. Every soul that's surrendered to Him makes Him incredibly happy and I want to be a part of that! It's just that my anger at the world is very hard to leave at His feet.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

I made a decision to stay away from any part of Christmas or the "Happy Holidays" that has removed Jesus from it.

You rock, Keith! :huh:

Factor Investigation Segment

Christmas controversy in America

Guests: Author Philip Nulman

Christmas has become so controversial that some retailers tell their employees to avoid saying "Merry Christmas." Factor researchers called department stores to find out their plans for the holidays. Sears, Kohl's, and Kmart wouldn't answer questions about the matter, but most other stores say the words "Merry Christmas" will be used in advertising. Author Philip Nulman suggested that avoiding the term makes good business sense. "Many organizations are trying to be inclusive, and they feel using the term 'Merry Christmas' is exclusionary to their customers who are not Christian. I agree with that from a marketing standpoint." The Factor strongly disagreed, claiming that avoiding Christmas greetings will cost stores business. "I think the backlash against stores who don't say 'Merry Christmas' is extraordinary. I think people are nuts if they're offended by the term 'Merry Christmas.' I guarantee you that the Christian majority in this country is fed up with the ACLU and groups like that."

I just don't understand why they think "Merry Christmas" has to be left out altogether in order for other "religions" to be included? Their "inclusion" excludes Christianity and American heritage. They aren't making any sense! This country is full of a bunch of butt-kissers and "yes men".

Jesus come quickly because I don't know how much more I can take of stupid people...

I went to Walmart's site and if you enter "christmas", it takes you to the "holiday" page...

If you enter the word, "Jesus"...it says, "5667 items found" but there's no matches for "jesus" in the department I was searching...

Likewise, it says there are "77 items found" for Kwanzaa but says nothing about matches for "kwanzaa"...