• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  733
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  3,017
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/09/1966

I would like to start a thread (after having been given some encouragement to do so) about watching television. I really want this thread to take off because television has become the most popular appliance in people's homes. In my opinion, it's also one of the most lied about subjects by Christians and non-Christians. I want to challenge you to participate honestly in this thread and in the challenge at the end of this post.

I am also asking that we all keep our posts strictly about television and DVD watching on television. Yes, there are many other things that comments in this thread will pertain to but the purpose of this thread is television only! Please try to respect this. I know it's hard to not go off in other directions, but I am respectfully asking that we all refrain from doing so. Let's deal with television. I am looking for serious discussions, not just someone looking for a debate. I believe this is a huge issue in the world today and I believe the amount of participation in this thread will indicate how much so for Christians.

I will start off by saying that television itself is not either good or evil. It has the power to produce both. I use the word "power" on purpose because that's what it contains. The power to ensnare us or the power to educate us.

The positive side of television is that it can inform us. Weather reports have saved lives, the news has educated us (however one-sided it may be presented) to what's going on around the world and in our hometowns. There are good, quality TV shows and sports games to entertain us. There are also good teaching programs. Television has been used to help fulfill Matthew 28:19..."Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit," and countless lives have been changed by it!

On the negative side, the media has abused it's power and has brain-washed many people into believing life should be easy and fun and convenient. "Hey! You deserve the best!" It's produced mindless addicts who are glued to the tube daily, taking time away from family, friends and God. The most popular shows today glorify the worst that mankind has to offer and focus on evil. People find their enjoyment and get a (sick) satisfaction out of watching other people in difficult or painful situations. (Reality shows)

Television has also helped fulfill 2 Timothy 3:1-5 "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

It is of God that you started this thread. It is a confirmation to me. To make a long story short, I too have become very disgusted with television. I have concluded that it is my own laziness which is the core problem. You see, I'm a "prayer and read the Word," in the morning person. I must endeavor to try to spend time with Father, Son, and The Holy Spirit in the morning soon after getting out of bed, or there have been times when the day was awful, simply because I had failed to do soon. But that's a cop out to a big degree. Let me explain. As of late, I have been realizing that I should endeavor to spend every possible second that I can, seeking His fellowship. I have said this to my spouse in the last 2 weeks several times, yet every night when I go to bed, on comes that T. V. Just this afternoon, I said "I'm through with the T.V. and I'm only going to watch the history channel (which isn't always so good either), or Nick at Nite. Oh, how I need to be reading to gain more knowledge of the One who loves me so. I can't take your challenge because I'm afraid I'll fail, but I am going to try to spend more time thinking about what is the only thing that counts, and its not "Star Gate." I am grateful for your forwardness and now count it as a blessing that God is speaking to someone else on this very serious subject. .......jmh137

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76

hmmmmm....this is something I will bring up with my family :huh: I really don't pay too much attention to tv...however I do have to screen some movies pertaining to my job :huh: I try to filter those as best I can though, and my boss is very lenient with that one...maybe he will give me a month off...after I talk to my family I will talk to my boss...

So I guess this is a "I'll get back to ya!"

Love and Blessings,

Angel

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  812
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  06/15/1961

Keith, bless your heart!!!

I'm in. :huh: When do we start?

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

I used to be into TV, but now it doesn't really appeal to me that much, and most movies do not either. Often when sitting and watching a movie, I feel like I'm wasteing time, so I don't do it much any more. The only real time I watch things nowadays is when I pop in a DVD of Star Trek to listen to while I work on my art (I go to an art college so it is a homework of sorts). TV really is kind of sick, what with all the 'Reality shows'. There are very very few shows out right now that I would consider watching, and none of them that I do watch regularily. I could do without TV shows alltogether, and right now I am doing without them. I don't think I've turned on the TV with the intent to just watch shows in a very long time...just for background noise.

I think perhaps a better challange would be to encourage people to not look for entertainment from TV. When they crave entertainment, instead of the TV maybe play a game with the family, or get into the Bible. The TV being on as background noise while you work isn't really harmful since when you're working you can't do much else than concentrate on what you are doing...the real threat is when people depend on the TV to be entertained.

I don't see it as much of a loss! I would rather spend time outside, or with loved ones than watching fake people do it on the TV!

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

thought I would add this: is TV addictive? Check out this article, it's very interesting the affects that TV has on our subconcious mind and our physical self.

http://www.cognitiveliberty.org/5jcl/5JCL59.htm

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I don't watch a heck of a lot of TV anymore. It's this dagblasted internet that absorbs my time. :thumbsup:

I appreciate everyone's input and opinions. This is something I feel very strongly about.

I used to watch so much TV that the only reason I needed a TV Guide was to know what the movie of the week was. That's really sad. I had no life.

I am a firm believer that what we watch and listen to has an affect on us. It's been proven over and over again. I performed an experiment one time that involved not watching any tv, reading any book or listening to any music that didn't directly honor God. I was going to do this for one month... before I knew it two months had passed! I found that when my thoughts wandered, they wandered on the things of Him. When I unconsciously started singing or humming, it was praising Him. I liked who I had become!

As far as when we begin this experiment of turning off the TV (movies, too) I would say start anytime. After all, it's about you and your spiritual life. I want to make this a personal challenge, not necessarily a group one, unless anyone wants to do it together. I will commit to pray daily for each of you who will do this. And not just a passing prayer. I will lift you up to the Father so that He will lift you up also. I will pray that He makes Himself known to you in a marvelous new way! Avodah, I'm so glad you're willing to take this challenge! You will be covered in prayer, sis!

I hope others will still have some thoughts on this subject. You won't be flamed for your opinions if you disagree. This isn't about that. It's not about whose right and whose wrong. It's about examing our hearts, thoughts and minds and life to see where we may be being influenced by television and the media. It's about honestly asking ourselves how much we love Him and what we are willing to sacrifice to have a closer relationship with Him!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

For twenty plus years, I have tried to get my wife to simply 'chuck the set out' and live without TV. SHE WON'T DO IT!!!

I tend to watch too much TV. I like the Simpsons, but mostly I watch either one of the Christian channels, or documentaries (although I also like Antiques Roadshow--which has displaced Wheel of Fortune in my viewing!).

Once in a great while I see an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, According to Jim, or reruns of Andy Griffith, but mostly everything on every channel is useless...or worse, outright harmful!

For twenty plus years, I have tried to get my wife to simply 'chuck the set out' and live without TV. SHE WON'T DO IT!!!

I tend to watch too much TV. I like the Simpsons, but mostly I watch either one of the Christian channels, or documentaries (although I also like Antiques Roadshow--which has displaced Wheel of Fortune in my viewing!).

Once in a great while I see an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, According to Jim, or reruns of Andy Griffith, but mostly everything on every channel is useless...or worse, outright harmful!

Leonard,

Thanks for responding. These questions aren't meant for you to answer on the boards, but how have these shows affected how you respond to others? Your sense of humor? The jokes and puns you tell? What thoughts do they cause to come to your mind, even if you don't speak them or act on them? How do you view particular situations, certain people and politics after hearing these characters comments? Do you find yourself laughing at things these actors say that are "funny" but aren't really funny? Are they beneficial in any way? Do they encourage you or others? Do you ever feel as if any of these shows should really be turned off? What is it about these shows that interests you? What kind of commercial are you subjected to during these shows?

Again, these are rhetorical questions for your meditation only. They're questions I had planned to ask no matter what shows a person listed that they watch. I was a huge fan of Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons and Touched By An Angel but I also enjoyed shows like The Dukes of Hazzard, Friends, a couple reality shows, two soap operas and Made for TV Movies. I found my sense of humor became cynical and filled with innuendos. Curse words would occasionally come out of my mouth and I found myself wanting to be like certain characters. I envied their sense of humor, lifestyles, etc.,

Answering questions like these are what got me thinking about the value and harm these shows were doing to me spiritually as well as my character. I didn't like the effects they had on me because I knew I wasn't really the type of person to be acting in those ways. Yes, some of the shows had their values and some benefits to them. Some were authentically entertaining. But at what risk was I watching them? I was still subjecting myself to the commercials and the occasional wrong stuff in these shows. I asked myself, "When did even one curse word or one taking of the Lord's name in vain become acceptable to me as entertainment?"

Some people would say that you can't avoid these things and that they are part of life. But I decided that they didn't have to be part of my life in my home. I wasn't willing to be subjected to even a small amount of wrong things just to be entertained. Information and images going into the mind must be dealt with. Some may say that these things don't affect them. Of course, that's for them to decide. I happen to respectfully disagree. Everything has an effect on us. Even if it's just to make us a little more tolerant, used to, or hardened to those things, whether they include swearing, innuendos or even revealing clothing. I've heard the Lord's name used in vain in the most innocent of shows.

Again, I believe we become like what we spend our time in.