IGNORED

This country was founded on...

book_wirm

Our foundation..  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Was this country founded on the Christian faith?

• Yes
    • No
    • It has some similar aspects, but was likely not intended to be "Christian".
  2. 2. Were the "founding fathers" Christians?

• Undoubtedly!
    • Most were.
    • A few were.
    • None were.
    • As many were as weren't.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

So, in two discussion now the statement has been made that this country was founded on the Christian faith. Is this a true statement? I tend to think not. Place your vote and discuss your position.

In Christ,

Eric

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

I would not say that the United States was "Founded on the Christian faith" so much as it was Established according to the principals of faith in the Christian God. There is a pretty big difference between the two, in my opnion. The foundational principals of our declarative documents is freedom of religion and the right to worship God in any manner which you deem fit (So long as your practices do not conflict with the law of course).

Most of the founding fathers were believers in Jesus Christ.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  219
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I would not say that the United States was "Founded on the Christian faith" so much as it was Established according to the principals of faith in the Christian God. There is a pretty big difference between the two, in my opnion.

I think I see where you are going with that statement, but would you care to expound?

In Christ,

Eric

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  265
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  12/30/1987

founded ON the faith, would tend to mean that it wasa a "Christian" country- with a national church, and everything.

founded on Christian principles would mean that our country was based on the ethical and governmental principles found in the Bible, and in Christianity.

I agree- there IS a difference.

a country full of pagans, cannot be a Christian country.

• Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

Hi B W

I think I find myself somewhere in the middle. As many of the first settlers were undoubtedly believers, their influence was apparent. On the other hand, nowhere are we told to get entangled with the affairs of THIS world. Jesus said that His kingdom was not of this world. The only nation that God made any kind of pact with was the nation of Israel.

Was this country blessed because of the christian influence? Yes. Will it be judged just as severely because of the knowledge given to it? Again Yes. I America a christian nation? Never was.

When offered the nations of the world Jesus refused them at the hand of Satan. They belonged to Satan then and they belong to Satan now, and until the return of Jesus Christ they will be under the influence of the god of this world.

LT

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

It was founded with certain Biblical aspects but likewise used more of the cultural Christianity at the time rather than the Biblical model. Such as, while there is an acknowledgment to the Creator and His hand in making all equal, there is a refusal to act upon this belief. While there was a belief in the Creator and that all were equal there was a lack of action (faith) in that non-land owners, slaves, minorities, and women were not allowed to practise this equality. Likewise, pushing Native Americans off of their land in the name of Christ is not Biblicaly by any strech of the imagination. At the same time, there were many founders that wanted to abolish slavery in our new nation AND establish working relations with the Native Americans. It's hard for me to say yes or no, but that some were truly Christians while others merely were part of the culture.

I would not say that the United States was "Founded on the Christian faith" so much as it was Established according to the principals of faith in the Christian God. There is a pretty big difference between the two, in my opnion.

I think I see where you are going with that statement, but would you care to expound?

In Christ,

Eric

Hi Eric,

Pretty much what DaniJ87 wrote following your question. The system of laws and governance established by the founding fathers was primarilly based on the English legal system; which stands to reason since most of the founding fathers were English statesmen of one kind or another. The English system itself was fundamentally based upon the moral and ethical principals of the Bible.

The founding fathers desired to create a system of government in which every person, every viewpoint, was represented equally and fairly, and where no one single person, church, or monarchy held absolute power. However, the balance of powers they created was never intended to exclude faith in God. Although they did not want to create a "state church," the founding fathers were well aware, and even promoted the idea that faith and government go hand in hand. One cannot represent, rule, or judge between a group of people fairly unless one is himself represented, ruled, and justified by a holy, wise, righteous and loving God.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  130
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Let us ask this:

israel is the choosen land, and peoples.

Are they still accountable?

America was founded on some Biblically based principles.

Who brings kingdoms up, and brings them down?

Is America accountable?

What has America to do with my obediance to YHSHWH-GOD?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

Book Wirm,

May I suggest a good book if it's still in print? What If The Bible Had Never Been Written by Dr. D. James Kennedy. I have this book and while it goes a lot into the lives of people other than the founding fathers of our nation (Columbus, Kellog of cereal fame, etc.) there is some great points on the Christianity of George Washington and other founders. He has prayers listed from Washington's prayer journal, prayers that would put many of us to shame! A good read and a good argument for the Christian influence on the founders of this country.

mostly deists

Misnomer.