tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

As I was in quiet time this morning, I had been praying to the Lord, about the teaching of righteousness and godliness in the church. As I have felt the church (yes, even my church-me) is lacking in the teaching of believers, of purity in the sight of God, by our behavior and lives.

I was reminded of the teachings of Paul, for the edification of the church. He did not just give the message of salvation, but he also encouraged the church how to live differently by their lifestyles and actions on a daily basis.

I am finding the churches of today void of this teaching on righteous living, i.e., adultery, living together, alcoholism, etc.

Here is the passage the keeps coming to mind, and the question I asked above.

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

I began to wonder just what exactly this means?

I did a word study on "meet for", and this was the companion verse I found for the above Scripture.

Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

My question is, "do you agree with this?" "Are fruits and works compatible in meaning to you?"

I will be anxious to hear your responses.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Here is my understanding of this..........

I see fruits as fruit of the Spirit:

22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23. meekness, self-control; against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, 23

These are inward motivations or attitudes.

I see works as the outward manifestaions of this fruit.:

Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works , and glorify your Father who is in heaven Matthew 5:16

IR :il:

22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23. meekness, self-control; against such there is no law. Galatians 5:22, 23

hmmmm?

self-control?

Acts 24:25 Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and answered, "Go away for now; when I have a convenient time I will call for you."

This is exactly what I am talking about within the church. Where is it?

In His Love,

Suzanne

Dear Suzanne,

As an Independent Baptist, you must know I have heard the subject of "separation" done to death. The accusations of "legalism" and the cries of "Christian liberty" are something I've heard all my life.

I believe there has to be a balance there somewhere. The Bible teaches that we are to be a "peculiar" people (peculiar meaning set apart, NOT strange)

If we live the exact lifestyle as the world, what is there to be a witness of the change.

On the other hand, it is easy for one who is living all the listed "standards" of their church to lean on their "good works" rather than on the Lord for their salvation.

I had one friend who left our church when I confronted her about a moral sin she was openly involved in. Her words to me were: " You don't know how hard it is to live with one foot in the church and one foot in the world." I told her that that was her very problem. We are not suppose to be living that way. We are suppose to have BOTH feet planted firmly on the narrow path.

IR :il:

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Only the Lord can be the source. A person cannot of his own will control himself. This was Paul's problem in Romans 7. In his experience that which he desired to do he did not do, and that which he did not desire to do, he did. His conclusion was that in his flesh he was unable to control, combat the problems in his flesh. He needed Christ to be his source. In the church few people realize this. And in fact, we find that there are many more "self help" programs in teh church than there are in the world.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

hmmmm?

self-control?

Acts 24:25 Now as he reasoned about righteousness, self-control, and the judgment to come, Felix was afraid and answered, "Go away for now; when I have a convenient time I will call for you."

This is exactly what I am talking about within the church.  Where is it?

There is actually very little Suzanne. There is also very little love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and meekness. Longsuffering? Self-control? Meekness? The falling away has begun, and with it goes the good. What is left is a pitiful lot. Oh, there are certainly good solid Christians left, but the numbers decrease.

Hbr 11:32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and [of] Barak, and [of] Samson, and [of] Jephthae; [of] David also, and Samuel, and [of] the prophets:

Hbr 11:33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Hbr 11:34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.

Hbr 11:35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection:

Hbr 11:36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment:

Hbr 11:37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented;

Hbr 11:38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth.

Hbr 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

Hbr 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

The faith hall of fame. Of course, I didn't list it all. But notice, howmost of those mighty men of God, those heros of old, those legendary warriors did not have an easy life. They did not name it and claim it, even though they had a special relationship withthe Father. They didn't get a rose garden. They had a tough character building life. They learned self control. God hammered it into them with His own Hand. The men of old received it. Many of us do not.

Amen IR,

I do know what you are referring to, but I now am at a point that I cannot shy away from the teachings of "being" peculiar. And not only do I not shy away, I am longing for the discourse on "righteousness" which I believe is greatly lacking within the church. Now that those have heard and accepted the gospel message..........they must "grow in grace".

I also believe that there is much to "being" a Christian, and as badly as many want to deny it, there is an element of work involved. It is the work that was set before us.

Eph. 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Eph. 4:12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

Titus 3:1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work,

James 1:25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

I agree God-man, for the most part. :o

A person cannot of his own will control himself.

See 2 Timothy above......we have some obligation ourselves, to be willing and obey.

The Lord has mighty works for us to do, if we will believe and obey, and walk according to the Power of His Holy Spirit dwelling within us who are saved. He is the Power and the steering that fuels and directs the vehicle of our service and work of ministry towards others, but it must be those works which He has prepared for us beforehand.

Amen Traveller, that is exactly it, those men WERE USED!!!! But, they also had to be WILLING. Just as we do. Have we surrendered to living a righteous life, and obeying what we hear? Are we willing to be set apart? From the world? (That means living differently........not DOING the same things that the world DOES)

(I'm not getting on to you trav...... :rofl: just speaking in general, to the church as a whole, myself included) The Lord is speaking mightily to me today through His Word, He just keeps revealing more and more, and I cannot even contain nor type it all fast enough.)

What is fruit/works meet for repentance?

Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

What does this mean for us? Is the church teaching this last part?

In His Love,

Suzanne

I believe that the works meet for repentance are those ways in which we obey God, walk in the Spirit and serve/work where He sends us to serve others.....i.e., witness and share the gospel and truth, therefore producing the fruit of the harvest.

(Consider the words of Paul, in his ministry)

1 Cor. 1:9 Am I not an apostle? Am I not free? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord? Are you not my work in the Lord?

There is a work in the Lord, that WE, this church age is neglecting........it is the healing of the sick/sin-burdened. In order to do that, we must walk in the Spirit/live a different way, and then we must tell them the Truth about sin! They must be told, lest they not be set free by the Truth.

1 Cor. 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, 13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. 14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. 15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

1 Cor. 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord.

Eph. 4:12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

Titus 3:1 Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work,

James 1:25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

1 Peter 1:17 And if you call on the Father, who without partiality judges according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear;

Rev. 22:12 "And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Suzanne, that's why I said

The men of old received it. Many of us do not.

We are different than they because we are lazy. We take things for granted. We are not as much out of the world. We picked up some idols along the way, and it shows. JMO

Yea, a man will say, Thou hast faith , and I have works : show me thy faith apart from thy works , and I by my works will show thee my faith .

James 2:18

IR