• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

I belong to an Indy Baptist church. It's the closest to what I believe, doctrine-wise, I reckon.

:whistling:

t.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  490
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

What "Indy Baptist" and what is "eternal security doctrine"? :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  191
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  09/25/1972

Hey everyone. This is my first time doing a "poll" and I have my brother's help so I am not quite sure how this will turn out. Basically, as many of you know, I am in Comparative Religions class. We were given a research paper today that we have to write and I am down to these four denominations. I was wondering if ya'll could put your imput in on this. I think he chose this topic because our next unit is "Christianity" and it can be "confusing with the different sects". I would appreciate your imput :24: Thankyou :24:

With sisterly love in Christ Jesus,

Crystal

Hello Crystal I am none denomanitonal Because I truly believe that we already are given a title that of Christian and as we dived into denominations we have a tendency to think our own brand name of Christianity is the only or best brand of Christianity. However I saw a great movie about Martin Luther and it seems to be an acurate acount. The Movies name is L_THER Staring a Joseph Fien_es so it might help with your study about the Lutheran Denomination.......well I hope it helps :emot-heartbeat:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

What "Indy Baptist" and what is "eternal security doctrine"? :emot-heartbeat:

Indy, I assume, is short for Independent.

Eternal security is the same as "once saved, always saved" doctrine.

:24: YSIC, robin

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

God richly bless all the Baptists indeed! They're wonderful folk. However, with all due respect, which disciple of our Lord called himself a "Baptist"? Was Jesus Himself a "Baptist"? hmm. Very interesting, yes?

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

That's easy - John the Baptist! :wub::P

• Topic Count:  490
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/25/1990

God richly bless all the Baptists indeed! They're wonderful folk. However, with all due respect, which disciple of our Lord called himself a "Baptist"? Was Jesus Himself a "Baptist"? hmm. Very interesting, yes?

:P I have been starting to study the history of "baptists" and we weren't called Baptists at first, although we were called Anabaptists at some point, but the history of our "beleifs" can be traced back all the way to the first church :):b:

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

That's easy - John the Baptist! :wub::P

:P:P

• Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Yup.

Sorry, but less letters typed means less fingers hurting. :P

I don't get too wrapped up in denominations, myself. Some of the more conservative Baptist church's Statements of faith and stuff like that pretty much sum up how I feel about stuff.

I tend to lean more on trusting what the Bible says about Jesus rather than some of what more "progressive" and modern churches say about him...in general, that is.

Baptist is just the name of the denomination which I associate my beliefs with, that's all.

Not so much the Southern Baptist stuff, but more along the lines of the Independent movement that broke off with them back in the 50's -80's.

The SBC had kinda moved away from fundamentalism back then and some of their people decided to get back to their roots and broke off. Today, the SBC is pretty split down the middle between conservative and more liberal groups, much like the Methodists are.

Check out some of the junk in the Lifeway Bookstores sometime. The SBC owns that chain. :39:

And still do, as far as I know.

In short, that's why there was a resurgence in Independent Baptist Churches over the past 30-50 years, or so. Each church is self governing and has no higher authority other than Jesus. There are no "higher-ups" to tell them what to preach or tell them which new organization to align themselves with. In fact, most of the IndyBap churches shy away from any alliances with other groups like the World Baptist Alliance or groups like that.

Why? Because most of these groups will turn more liberal to gain members. So, we kinda just stick to ourselves. That way, we can handle problems locally, within our own membership.

To tell you the truth, I'm probably more in line with the Amish or Mennonite groups, but I just can't bring myself to live like a hermit just yet. :wub:

t.

• Topic Count:  512
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

By name, I'm Pentecostal but our church is more akin to the Baptist. Maybe not so much in beliefes (we're not OSAS and do believe in women preachers) but we're not flashy or any sort of thing. We don't do the hard driving music but rely on the old hymnals w/o a whole lot of instrumentation, etc.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

Yup.

Sorry, but less letters typed means less fingers hurting. :P

I don't get too wrapped up in denominations, myself. Some of the more conservative Baptist church's Statements of faith and stuff like that pretty much sum up how I feel about stuff.

I tend to lean more on trusting what the Bible says about Jesus rather than some of what more "progressive" and modern churches say about him...in general, that is.

Baptist is just the name of the denomination which I associate my beliefs with, that's all.

Not so much the Southern Baptist stuff, but more along the lines of the Independent movement that broke off with them back in the 50's -80's.

The SBC had kinda moved away from fundamentalism back then and some of their people decided to get back to their roots and broke off. Today, the SBC is pretty split down the middle between conservative and more liberal groups, much like the Methodists are.

Check out some of the junk in the Lifeway Bookstores sometime. The SBC owns that chain. :)

And still do, as far as I know.

In short, that's why there was a resurgence in Independent Baptist Churches over the past 30-50 years, or so. Each church is self governing and has no higher authority other than Jesus. There are no "higher-ups" to tell them what to preach or tell them which new organization to align themselves with. In fact, most of the IndyBap churches shy away from any alliances with other groups like the World Baptist Alliance or groups like that.

Why? Because most of these groups will turn more liberal to gain members. So, we kinda just stick to ourselves. That way, we can handle problems locally, within our own membership.

To tell you the truth, I'm probably more in line with the Amish or Mennonite groups, but I just can't bring myself to live like a hermit just yet. :P

t.

I have to say I wasn't aware southern baptists were split down the middle, so I just want to say I'm on the conservative side. I wasn't aware the SBC allowed women to preach either, which another poster mentioned. The Baptist churches I've attended are very informal (just happy to see you there), and sing all the old hymms with a piano player. Just good old fashioned worship, I guess you'd say. Missionary work is very important though.

I honestly don't worry about denominations though. I started off in a Baptist church because they had the doctrine that made complete sense to me, however, I don't believe Baptist's, or any other denomination, have the market cornered on God or salvation. :b: After all, God was the one who loved us enough to send His Son, and without the Holy Spirit revealing that knowledge to each of us, we'd all still be lost. Now, we're His children!!

:39: Amish or Mennonite! :wub: Being a hermit I could handle, no electricity though--yikes. I really like a hot bath at my fingertips. Not to mention, no computers.

Edited by Razberry