IGNORED

Alternative Medical Science

Guest truespirit

Guest truespirit

Hello again. I am terribly sorry if this has transpired into a debate of alternative vs. mainstream medicine. That wasn't my intention with this. In respect to that given issue, my opinion is probably that both fields are really no different than any other walk of life. I have witnessed first hand medications that work, others that do no good or cause harm. Same deal with vitamins and herbs. You can over do it with some of them, some help, some don't. Unfortunately, I can't help but agree with the fact that several of the big drug companies are after profit.

Just as an example, right now one lab is lobbying the gov't for exclusive rights to the co-enzymated version of vitamin B6, P-5-P. It's sold over the counter right now, but one lab is trying to pull it off the shelf so that they can be the sole distributors. Evidently they have performed a seven year study on the vitamin, so they feel that they're entitled to its rights, and the gov't is actually listening to their argument, from what I understand. I think something like that is just terrible. But I also believe that vitamin companies promising people "Cures" for this or that ailment by the use of this product when there is no evidence to support it's effectiveness, that's just as bad.

We were told that we would be living in an evil world, you know, and that can be proven true in several different walks of life today. Thankfully, we still have plenty of good Christians in the world, so we do have plenty to be thankful about, too. The frustration that a Christian can have about the greed that others might hold is well warranted, for this is something that Jesus spoke against many times. However, we mustn't ever allow our frustration to turn to hate, either. We all face our judgement day with God. These matters are in His hands. All we can do is pray about it and ask Him to keep us safe.

I guess my larger point with this, guys, wasn't to turn this into any type of argument about good vs. evil. Rather, I was trying to point to the Biblical accuracy of what we're seeing today with some of the different medical findings that tend to be surfacing, the vast majority of which seem to be falling perfectly in line with the Word. The only question I have, I guess, is whether or not this kind of viewpoint makes sense to the rest of you, and regardless of whether or not it does, is it right for a person to think about things in the context of this type of mindset. Thanks so much again, bless you all.

Edited by truespirit

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Appologies - but it's very difficult for topics to stay on track. All it takes is for one person to diverge on a "bunny trail", and the next thing you know the whole conversation has run away. . . .

You probably see what I'm getting at here-Is it wrong for a Christian to look at anything like that as "A sign"? I think you probably know what I mean here. I want to be very careful here because faith is faith. That's how you come to God, you can't get there by "Proving things." I've learned that lesson.

Actually - I don't understand what you are asking for.

A sign of what?

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

(a) Christian means Christ-like. Jesus helped the sick and infirm. So should we.

(b) I lock my car. It doesn't mean I don't trust God to look after me and my property - it means that he expects me to take reasonable precautions also. People who take vitamins and practice preventative medicine are doing something which science has clearly shown help their bodies stay in good condition. The body is the temple of the spirit, and a gift from God, we ought to take all reasonable precautions to look after it.

That was easy.

Exactly. The biggest irony is that medicine is God's gift to man. He gave these scientists minds to help find these medicines, so we should use them.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  232
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

First and foremost, I am not talking about stem cell research or anything like that, etc-None of those areas we know to be bad.

Who is "we"--Christians?

However, when it comes to the basics of the science of medical research, in and of itself, does anybody believe here that today's medical researchers might be doing anything that would ever go against the Bible's teachings?

For the most part, no.

Several families would love to find cures for conditions like diabetes, autoimmune disease, heart disease, etc. Yet, there is at least one Biblical passage I'm aware of that seems to suggest that human suffering is something that God appreciates in certain cases (Is my interpretation correct there?).

Human suffering can be used for good or develop good qualities in us, but there is nothing in the Bible that says suffering itself is good...as far as I know.

If that's the case, is it really our place to be conducting medical research? What if it's in God's plan for this or that person to be afflicted with this or that medical condition, etc?

I don't think "loving your neighbor" means letting people suffer from medical conditions that humans have discovered the ability to cure or alleviate in some way. Yes, research should be conducted, and yes, we should use what we have to help another person. Absolutely.

In other words, if the goal of medical research is to offer a cure for those with disease, is that a cure at all? Really? Or are we actually going against the will of God in these types of circumstances?

A cure for a disease is a cure for a disease. I don't understand what you are asking.

What about the society as a whole? 75% of adults take a multi vitamin, many others take various supplements, herbs, etc. Is that ok to do, or could these habbits signal a weakness of faith in the eyes of God?

Some people have deficiencies or medical conditions that may require them to have extra this or that vitamin or mineral. I take vitamins because I know sometimes I haven't gotten enough of this or that. There is no "weakness of faith" in trying to be healthy.

Jesus healed, Jesus cured those with illness, but only He could do so the way He did. There's a big difference between the miracles that Jesus performed and the types of cures that medical researchers are after.

If there is a mean that could help or heal another person, the best way we humans know how, then we should go for it. Christians can still pray for another person, in the name of Jesus, but that doesn't mean we should condemn the field of medicine.

You know how in the Torah the Lord command certain animals that can be eaten and other animals which cannot? It is interesting that once people started looking into the health factor of food, those animals which are considered non-Kosher are not the most healthy things to eat. For instance, shellfish are filter-feeders, thus their bodies contain toxins.

I recall having seen Christian nutritionists looking into what they called "the Biblical diet" as a means of finding the most healthy way to eat.

So, no - I wouldn't say it was wrong to look into the Bible for nutrition and health remedies. After all, others have looked into this.

As for it being a "sign" - well, it could for some. Some people will just never believe anything, as I've found in several of these debates! But for someone who is genuinely open - perhaps.

Does that help?

Like I said:

"As for it being a "sign" - well, it could for some. Some people will just never believe anything, as I've found in several of these debates! But for someone who is genuinely open - perhaps."

Blinded eyes can't see the light

When it's glowing in the night

Right in front of you

Blinded eyes can't see the truth

When it's written on the wall

But in plain view

Blinded eyes can't see the Son

Or the work that He has done

Out of love for you

Blinded eyes

"Blinded Eyes"

~Petra~

Guest truespirit

Ok, thanks again-to all of you. I just wanted to be sure about the my train of thought on this area. I appreciate your viewpoints very much-just wanted to make certain.

God Bless you guys.

Edited by truespirit

• 4 years later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

There is nothing wrong against alternative medicine, what type of alternative medicine is wrong though is medicine like acupunture and that type of stuff.

Do you know anything about acupuncture? You should look into it before you comment on it's effectiveness. It has been use for centuries and rather effective at treating various illnesses.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

You do realize I hope that shamanism is not of God. Shamanism is definitely something Christians should avoid.