IGNORED

A Warning to "End Times " teachers ( and their hearers )

tomwindsor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  17
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

A warning to those who teach on " End times " Issues (and those who are taught ) by G.Thomas Windsor

Anyone who has ventured into the study of the "End Times, " (eschatology,) can see that there is a wide variety of views and opinions on this sometimes complex subject: ( the timing of the Rapture, the Millennium, the Antichrist, the Apostasy and the rebuilt temple question. There is also much heated debate over these topics. In our day of information, ideas are disseminated rapidly in real time versus the years it took in times past. Ideas can take on a life of their own.

So why is our view of what we expect to happen so important? Teaching concerning a future event has a special dimension, unlike other things in Scripture. We aren't debating the past. What is being commented on is potentially the greatest, cataclysmic event in the history of mankind (Mt. 24.) There is a "such as never has been" dynamic to all of this that our Lord warned us about. He said "If those days were not shortened, no human being would be saved." Our generation may see "those days."

The lesson of the first coming !

Before Christ came the first time, there were various views of the prophecies foretelling His coming and just about everyone missed recognizing Him based on those interpretations when He came into the world. There were very serious consequences to those who misunderstood the prophecies concerning the first coming. It can seem obvious to us because they (the prophecies) have been clearly explained by the Apostles after the event. However, this was not so clear to them. Some prophecies weren't fulfilled at the first coming or were only partly fulfilled.

For instance: In the first century many were sure the Messiah would come and deliver them from their enemies (the Romans) and then sit on the throne in Jerusalem. Christ did deliver people and was enthroned, but in a very different way than was expected.

Issues of the heart aside, their misunderstanding contributed to the rejection of the promised Christ. They did not "recognize the time of God's appearing among them" (Lk:18 and 19.) We should appreciate the challenge of those who lived in the time preceding the birth of the Messiah for are we not now in a similar situation? We've known and been aware of the 2nd advent prophecies and they've been examined for the last two thousand years. The stakes are very high in this debate .

EXAMPLES

Let's consider certain popular beliefs regarding eschatology and try to see what the consequences are?

(I won't go into much detail concerning these views as there is much information available. I will review them in a very general way.)

They are as follows:

1- Those who teach and follow Preterism essentially are saying everything, or that just about everything, was fulfilled in the (MT.24, Lk.21, Mk.13 ) discourse and the worst (tribulation, persecution, apostasy, etc.) has already happened;

2- Those who have taught the Post-Millennial views also believe the worst is over and that the world will get better and better before the return of Christ and that we will see a great conversion of this world;

3- Other schools of thought (sometimes held by Pre-millennialists ) they hold the above mentioned events are to take place in the future, however they say the Apostasy (2 Thess. 2) and the Lawless one (Antichrist, the Beast ) won't come until a temple is rebuilt in the literal Jerusalem:

4- Finally, there are those who teach and embrace Pre-tribulational views (perhaps the dominant view in Christendom,) that the rapture will occur and the church is taken out before the great Tribulation;

5 Aside from the already mentioned issues, there are other beliefs and positions, I.E.: The " mark of the beast "(Rev.13) has to be a physical mark, or that the Antichrist will set up his rule in a physical temple (as opposed to entering the spiritual temple, the church.)

What is the net affect of all these positions and many others?

Whether everyone is expecting various things to happen first, or for things to gradually get better, or that the worst is behind us, it amounts to the same net affect. All these presuppositions affect the preparedness of the believers if in fact they are wrong and actually the worst is yet to come and the church will go through though the most difficult time it has ever experienced.

The great catastrophes

If we examine the great catastrophes that have afflicted mankind throughout history, we see that one key ingredient is a gross lack of preparation, and an almost nonchalant and self confident attitude that things were sufficient.

Much of what is written on eschatology has a "We-are-sure-it-won't-happen-this-way" or "This-Is-the-way-it-will-be" dogmatic tone. Certainly the truth must be stated boldly, but we must be very careful for if one errs and boldly asserts erroneous views, there are serious consequences.

Imagine being in a war and everyone assumes the enemy won't or can't mount another major assault, or that it will only come from a certain direction or only at a certain time. From the Trojan horse to the events at Pearl Harbor and 9-11 we know that being taken by complete surprise is fatal. Is this not a setup for a spiritual calamity? It is written of in Daniel relating to the one who brings in "The Abomination of Desolation," that "When they feel secure he will destroy many-" the Saints, (Dan 8.25) and "He will invade the kingdom when its people feel secure" (Dan. 11.)

Consider for a moment that the Enemy of the faith wants the church in the final days who are going into THE most difficult time "since the beginning ... and never to be equaled again" (Mt .24, Dan.12,) to be ill prepared and or expecting it in a totally different way to unfold. Or worse yet not expecting what is to come AT ALL .

"Judged with greater strictness "

With dozens of conflicting scenarios and interpretations set forth or propagated, logic tells us most are already wrong ( though some may not be mutually exclusive.)

By the way we aren't talking about the cultist doctrines or those outside of essential Christianity (Mormons, JWs, etc.) We are referencing those in the sphere of believers, within the church.

This matter is made worse given the degree of assertions and the way they are presented. Millions follow and ultimately have their trust in them. The greater the consequences of the ideas set forth, the greater the responsibility of those

who advance them .

People are drawn to those who speak authoritatively. The stronger the tone, the more persuasive, yet for those who carelessly assert things a greater judgment awaits them if they be found in error. Also a "This-won't-affect-us" ideology appeals to our human nature.

The question also has to be asked concerning some, whether their teaching is for the sake of selling books, tapes, etc. Bold and sensational eschatology sells and it can be a lucrative business. This provides another reason why business has no place in these debates, when eternal rewards and perhaps people's salvation are at stake.

Pride resides in men's hearts. Many will be shown on that day to have been careless or prideful in their opinions. James chapter 3 tells us that "those who teach will be judged with greater strictness " and that we can all err.

That should instill a healthy fear in anyone of us who venture to expound (this author included) lest we labor in vain.

Inadvertently taking part in the deception ?

Christ and the Apostles warned us to "take heed that no one leads you astray " , that a great deception (believing the lie ) will come and "many will fall away ", and that there would be "'every sort of evil that decieves " (Matt. 24 , 2Thess 2, 1 Tim4 .)

If most "End Times" teachings turn out to be error , then those who advanced them may have inadvertently participated in the very deception of the end. The great irony is that many teachers of eschatology may actually be setting up the very conditions by which many can be deceived and fall away for the faith : that which they attempted to warn others about.

Conclusion

Let's continue to search out the Scriptures on these matters , but let our thoughts be presented in a careful way realizing "we only see in part ". Humility would dictate that we take a position of "this is what we've come to understand," rather than "This has to be the way" or a "This can't happen until that " type of position. . We need to be open to understanding more clearly if we are shown a more accurate view of Scripture. "The wisdom that comes down from above is open to reason "(James 3.) The people of God would also benefit much by this approach.

May God's Spirit lead us and guided us into all the truth.

Tom

<www.upwardcall.net/warning06.html>

Edited by tomwindsor

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

So what you are saying is we can't take a position on anything because we can't be sure what the Bible really says. Right?

I have a slight problem with that reasoning. There is a difference between saying, "I am pretrib, and here is why...." and being ultra dogmatic and saying, "I am pretrib, and if you're not, you're wrong." The fact is, I am pretrib, but haven't always been. I did my own research, and without Tim LaHay's able help, I formed my own opinions based on Scripture. I doubt very much anybody here will change my mind, however, having said that, I believe there is only One Expert on Bible prophecy, and it isn't you or me. I think this falls under the description of "debatable matters," according to Paul. But, I think it is absolutely vital to have a reasoned, well-thought out position on a given subject. I am not so vain as to think I know it all (stop laughing!) and always hear what someone has to say.

Your conclusions about Christ's rejection at His first coming are well thought out, but I think somewhat flawed. The Jewish mind did not understand the Messiah's two comings, let alone the fact that those two coming would be separated by the Church Age, going on now for 2,000 years. So confused were we, that we came to the erroneous conclusion there would be two Messiahs! The whole nature of Biblical prophecy was a mystery to even the prophets themselves. However, things are different today. With the first advent, and with the NT shedding light on the OT, especially OT prophecies, we have a decided advantage over those who were alive during the first advent. We have a measure of light our forefathers never had.

So, while I agree in essence with what you said, I do think a position must be taken and vigorously defended, using Scripture, always with an eye, though, to the possibility that there is another explanation that may be as good or better than yours.

:shocked: In other words, if you can show me where my beliefs are wrong using the Word of G-d, you can easily win me over. But woe unto to you if you try to use your opinion on me! As the wise man once said, "Opinions are like feet: Everybody has them, but some stink more than others."

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

So what you are saying is we can't take a position on anything because we can't be sure what the Bible really says. Right?

That's not what the article is saying. I believe what is being pointed out is how dogmatic certain views can get. Some get to the point that they question the salvation of the person based upon their end-times view. In other words, it's okay to discuss and search these issues (as it says in the article), but the moment we take a "I"m right you're wrong" attitude with it, we've overstepped our bounds.

What is it with you and your anti-Americanism in EVERY SINGLE POST you make on every single topic? It's okay to be upset, but seriously, do you have to throw it out every chance you get?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  126
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

An intersting post I think.

My 10 year old son has started to ask about how the world ends.

I have just said that the world does end and it is ok because God is with us always.

Not really enough though because he keeps on asking. Apparently the school have told him that the sun will blow up and that will be it.

Hmm what to do?

What is it with your Gospel of bombs and bullets?

Again, I restate:

What is it with you and your anti-Americanism in EVERY SINGLE POST you make on every single topic? It's okay to be upset, but seriously, do you have to throw it out every chance you get?

you need to answer that. I have never advocated sharing the Gospel with "bombs and bullets."

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,986
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  2

Great post Tom!

After reading your title, though, I thought you would be another nay-sayer or unbeliever, but there's a lot of great truth in what you say.

The bottom line is:

No End-Times theory or belief has yet been proven as the correct one.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

[4] And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Too many people today are hearing something and just jumping on the bandwagon without giving much thought to it or study. There are so many beliefs, but when all is said and done, it's only going to be fulfilled one way, and it's very possible that none of these popular theories are right.

If I were a betting man, I'd lay odds that most believers are going to be totally shocked when it doesn't turn out the way they thought it would.

Like you say, a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in their End-Times beliefs, but like I always say:

God is not bound by what we believe, no matter how strongly we may believe it.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  203
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

This was a good post Tom. I used to debate about these end time issues. It was always surprising when people would say this has no bearing on your salvation whatsoever. You could basically believe whatever you want about the rapture and the timing. Of course anyone was completely wrong to not believe in any rapture theories at all. I see all of that as being dangerous teachings and predictions. These end times teachings go hand in hand with many people in the world just assuming they are saved. This takes away from anyone ever being judged by God in the end. It seems like a very convenient, pat yourself on the back, way to believe. Then it's always nice to hear all the snide remarks roll in. How dare anyone stomp on someone's easy salvation parade, along with an easy convenient escape to this world.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  153
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  04/04/1952

I love studying the end times. After 5 studies I have come to believe in the pre-trib.

I have no issues with people believing differently then me. But after much prayer, God has given me peace in my belief and I am a happy camper.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

It is useless to talk of one antichrist that will take over because it never says this in the Bible. John states that there were many antichrists even in his day. An antichrist is someone who is "opposed to Christ" or "against the Truth."

Past teachers who wanted a name for themselves predicted many things that are not specifically in the Bible. These theories are repeated and repeated because they have been written down and incorporated into official church writings.

Another example: the Bible doesn't say "rapture." It speaks of a time when some people would be taken and others left behind. This is possible in peoples minds. There doesn't have to be a physical seperation of these people to make this a true statement. Christ said that he brings seperation even when he was here - even driving a sword between previously close family members.

I hope I have made a good point about checking if these theories are really in there. Most of the time there are other feasible explanations.