jesussaves

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  210
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

When a person tells you that you need to be more open minded, what exactly do they mean?

Does it mean we should bend our beliefs to fit theirs? Does it mean we should let their opinions sway us?

Does it mean we should believe everything that comes along?

Anyone have the answer or is it all the above?

Guest Windshadow
When a person tells you that you need to be more open minded, what exactly do they mean?

Does it mean we should bend our beliefs to fit theirs? Does it mean we should let their opinions sway us?

Anyone have the answer or is it all the above?

yep!

Thought so. So, if there are any youngsters reading this just remember, when someone tells you to be open minded, stand firm and be God minded. He gave us His Word to guide us into ALL Truth. He gave us His life to set us free from an open mind filled with sin, and sealed it with His Spirit. :il:

"Let this mind be in you that is in Christ Jesus."

Jesus Saves

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings JesusSaves,

Have you met a Christian that is so dogmatic that though you have numerous proofs regarding a certain doctrine yet they fail to even listen to your argument? That person is "closed minded" to all but his own particular beliefs.

I once had a disagreement with a young lady on a particular Biblical doctrine. She absolutely REFUSED to look at the doctrine in any other way than the one her father had taught her. It didn't matter what the scriptures had to say, it was what her father had to say that was important. I have seen this same thing happen when a person puts so much credence in their pastor's words as well. They are "closed minded", to all doctrine but their own.

Before Paul could go out and preach, he was first confronted by the rest of the Apostles to establish that HIS doctrine was pure and that HE had indeed received the Gospel from Jesus Christ personally. Upon grilling him, they realized that no other than the Father could have enlightened him and thus they accepted him into their midst. He did not compromise his beliefs, nor did they. Today, how many can say they have that kind of hold on the "truth"? I am open-minded enough to allow for a different opinion and to weigh it to see if it has any merits.

So it is not always a bad thing to be open-minded, especially for a young maturing Christian. He will certainly run into things in the Christian realm that is anathema to the worldly perspective of things. Consider tithing/giving for instance. In the world, if you give your money away, you have LESS, but in the Kingdom of God, when you give money at the leading of the Holy Spirit - you have MORE.

So as I said, sometimes it is good to be Open-Minded.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  63
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I have found that when I hear the phrase "Be open minded" it's when someone is trying to justify their sin. When the Bible says don't do x, and someone says be open minded about it I'm not gonna change. We have to be dogmatic where the truth of the Gospel is concerned. The problem comes when the Bible is silent about something, like going to the movies for instance. Hopefully we can give a reasonable defense of our beliefs, and they can see that we are not negative joy killers.

Greetings Smokey,

I have found that when I hear the phrase "Be open minded" it's when someone is trying to justify their sin. When the Bible says don't do x, and someone says be open minded about it I'm not gonna change. We have to be dogmatic where the truth of the Gospel is concerned. The problem comes when the Bible is silent about something, like going to the movies for instance. Hopefully we can give a reasonable defense of our beliefs, and they can see that we are not negative joy killers.

You must not forget the homosexual agenda. They too, want us to be "open minded", yet it is clear in the scriptures that their activity is an "abomination to the Lord".

But generally you are correct. So how would you respond (scripturally) if someone wanted to go to the movies? There IS an answer to this.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  520
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/07/1974

Today's society is getting worse and worse, just like the Bible said it would. I think that people that say this are saying that you need to be more 'tolerant' of their beliefs, as if God bends His Truth to whatever people want to believe.

Don't let other people sway you!!! Just live for Jesus!!! If you feel uncomfortable about something, then I would suggest spending some extra time in prayer to seek God's Word concerning whatever it is. God's Word is the final authority on everything. Be blessed!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/25/1972

So how would you respond (scripturally) if someone wanted to go to the movies? There IS an answer to this.

I'd be interested to hear this one. ;):)

Dad Earnie, I do agree we need to be teachable. We all need good and correct teaching that is Biblically sound doctrine.

But is is a great fact that when the world asks us to have an open mind they want Christians to bend to their beliefs so they can justify their sin and/or sway the child of God in the wrong direction.

Ahhh...the movie thing...I just recently had a really bad experience with this one and it is my own fault for not using wisdom. I went with my family to see Terminator 3 thinking it was just an action movie geared for the younger generation. Boy was I wrong. The nudity and four letter language was enough to keep my face beet red for a week.

What the world will tell you to get you to watch movies we shouldn't is, " It is just a movie, it isn't real." Or "Well real people use those words and do that stuff in everyday life and the movie is about life." etc., etc.

Greetings Bill,

Thank you for sitting on the edge of your seat eagerly awaiting my response. :rofl:

Here is the answer:

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Philippians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Philippians 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Philippians 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie