cares4critters

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  13
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I'm having a hard time understanding the subject of secession.

Anyone a history buff who wants to help me with this? I'd appreciate it.

Why did the South secede from the Union? Why did the North not let them secede? Why did the North win the war, and why did the South lose? What issues were resolved by the resultant Civil War? What issues were left unresolved?

Help me please! :)

My eyes are crossing from all the reading I've done and still don't get it. At least I don't think I do. Is there a book you'd recommend, (other than my history book?) ?

Thank you SO much in advance!

Edited by cares4critters

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

HI Cares4critters,

:)

cute name, I love animals, too!

I know the south wanted to have local control, to have more say about what goes on where they lived and not federated control, as the north wanted for all the states.

I hope you find the help you are looking for. Maybe some of the college ages folk here will be able to do thta for you.

blessings,

elkie :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.12
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

In all likelihood, your history book is a bowdlerized, polished, and politically correct tome full of mushy nonsense.

Check out The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History. It is a worthwhile read.

Thank you Elkie and Leonard!

I'll look for the book today!

:)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Why did the South secede from the Union? Why did the North not let them secede? Why did the North win the war, and why did the South lose? What issues were resolved by the resultant Civil War? What issues were left unresolved?

This is not an easy answer.

One thing to understand is that the northern states were founded more by groups of people seeking religious freedom. Thus education was important, so that their children could read the Bible. In addition, math was needed for bookkeeping, so that was taught as well.

The southern states were founded more by businesses and industries, thus you have more of the wealthy shareholders (i.e. plantations) and more uneducated workers.

Just in this there was a dicotomay between North and South.

Granted, there is more to the scenario than this, but it was a big factor, and possibly a baseline underneath many factors.

As for why they lost, I wonder that a lot. The South was beating the tar out of the North until the battle of Gettysburg. What happened that turned the tide then, I wish I could understand. But for whatever reason, the North won that battle and then kept winning over the South more so than before to the end.

If you find this overwhelming, there is good reason! Even historians still argue with each other over these answers. Do the best you can to understand what you can. A good teacher, I think, would be more impressed with a paper that presents different sides to the issue - like there are in this case - without the obligation of claiming to have the answer than with a paper that is one-sided, claiming to have the answer. Do what you can to make a conclusion, of course, and comment on what you tend to agree with more, and be honest about uncertainties, but don't feel like you are obligated to figure it all out (unless your teacher gave you instructions todevelop a definite conclusion).

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  1,447
  • Content Per Day:  0.22

QUOTE:

The southern states were founded more by businesses and industries, ....

I don't think that's true at all. The northern states clearly had more industry than the southern states. The north was where most industries were founded and it was only recently that industries began moving south. The south did have an important industry though and that was cotton. Slavery and its importance to the cotton industry was the primary reason for secession by the southern states. Slavery was an economic issue ultimately. Southern states believed the federal government had no power over them to banish slavery but ultimately it was cotton economic interests that led to secession

Just wanted to say a quick THANK YOU to all who posted.

I'm kind of getting it. I looked at the library for the book that Leonard mentioned but couldn't find it...I'll look here locally tomorrow. :D

I appreciate you all taking the time to write and respond with kindness to my post.

:) and Blessings

Jen

You might want to look up info. on the micronational movements. You should find some good definitions for the various ways that people can break away from their countries of origin. The best micronation site I have seen is www.angelfire.com/nv/micronations/enter.html. I hope that helps.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

QUOTE:

The southern states were founded more by businesses and industries, ....

I don't think that's true at all. . . .

Well, maybe I used the wrong term.

The point is, the South was settled more by people looking for work.