Copper Scroll

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  682
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

I originally (perhaps, repeatedly) posed this question on the Doctrine forum but never got an answer. The closest thing to an answer I got was that old, compelling brick wall "God's ways are higher and/or mysterious." (This is undeniable, but, I hope, there is a more reasonable answer. Perhaps, there is not.)

The question is:

If God created humans perfect but knew that humans were bound to sin, why does sin make God so angry and wrathful that he would want to punish sinners for eternity?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Romans 9:20 No, but, O man, who are you who replies against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him who formed it , Why have you made me this way?

Used this elsewhere. It seems to fit here too.

Romans 9:20 No, but, O man, who are you who replies against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him who formed it , Why have you made me this way?

Used this elsewhere. It seems to fit here too.

The brick wall.

It fits because it's an argument that can't be beat. It could answer any question about God, but people don't tend to use it unless they are all out of rational answers. Any counterexample will be shot down with "Well, you are not God, are you?"

I could imagine myself creating a robot designed to move around. Would it be reasonable for me to get angry with the robot when that robot gets stuck in a corner? If anything, I'll get angry with myself. But... well... I'm not God, am I?

Edited by Copper Scroll

• Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

God does not MAKE us obey him because He wants us to CHOOSE to obey him. Think of how dissapointed He must get when we choose to do wrong, and go down the wrong path.

Also, punishment can help us to learn as well. If we do something wrong and face the consequences then we learn later to avoid such things.

Edited by InternalFlame

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

What does hell make us learn? How do we grow from that? I believe in hell by the way. I just have never fully understood it. Probably never will.

Dan

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Hell is not designed to be a learning experience for those who go there. It is not a redemptive tool.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

I originally (perhaps, repeatedly) posed this question on the Doctrine forum but never got an answer. The closest thing to an answer I got was that old, compelling brick wall "God's ways are higher and/or mysterious." (This is undeniable, but, I hope, there is a more reasonable answer. Perhaps, there is not.)

The question is:

If God created humans perfect but knew that humans were bound to sin, why does sin make God so angry and wrathful that he would want to punish sinners for eternity?

Hi copper scroll where does it tell us in the word that He knew that man would sin. In Gen 6:6

And it repented the Lord that he made man on earth and it grieved Him at His heart. Gen 6:7

And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man and beast and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenth Me that I made them.

He didn't say, " I knew this would happen" as so many believe. He merely mentioned that He wished it hadn't happened.

People will say, "but God is omniscient He must have known." That doesn't mean to say that He must excercise His omnicience all the time. A strong man doesn't have to flex his muscles every day to prove he is strong. Nobody but God himself knows whether or not the angels or man would rebel and nobody can come up with scripture to prove it one way or the other. For my own peace of mind I prefer to belive God did not know for sure.

have a great day,

eric.

He didn't say, " I knew this would happen" as so many believe. He merely mentioned that He wished it hadn't happened.

People will say, "but God is omniscient He must have known." That doesn't mean to say that He must excercise His omnicience all the time. A strong man doesn't have to flex his muscles every day to prove he is strong. Nobody but God himself knows whether or not the angels or man would rebel and nobody can come up with scripture to prove it one way or the other. For my own peace of mind I prefer to belive God did not know for sure.

I guess this is a good point. Maybe God can't always tell the future.

But many scriptures to indicate that God's knowledge is perfect. A strong man doesn't have to flex all of the time, but he can't make himself not strong. If he has to lift something, he's going to use his strength. If you know something, you can't make yourself not know it. Even if you could, you would have to know it first before you can make yourself somehow ignore or forget it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

God knows all things actual and possible. He has perfect knowledge (Job 37:16) and knows everything (1 John 3:20). Open theism is an attempt to limit this knowldege by stating that God did not in fact know everything before it happened. This position is rife with weaknesses, and has been discussed here on the forums in the past. God is also eternal meaning that all events (past, present and future) are equally vivid to him at any moment in time.

To arrive at a position based on how it makes us feel, is not the best way to do theology. It can lead to a theology that is man-centered rather than God-centered

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

ErisH said.

To arrive at a position based on how it makes us feel, is not the best way to do theology. It can lead to a theology that is man-centered rather than God-centered

................................................................................

I agree brother, but I don't believe what I believe just to make me feel good. I do know what the dictionary defines as omniscient and I dont doubt that God is just that and even if He did know that Adam would fall, He makes no mention of ot in His word and according to the previous scriptures in Gen 6::6-7, It sounds as if He was angry with Himself for ever creating man in the first place. One can only read what is written and not assume too much about something not written.

I am not trying to argumentative. I'm still learning :emot-heartbeat:

eric ( with a little e ) :emot-heartbeat: