• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Well a while back now I was prophecied over about God revealing the gift of a Seer in me. I've prayed muchly about this (as certain elements of what was said in the prophecy freaked me a bit!) and all is well about it and God is definately revealing this gift to me bit by bit - but I'm just wondering if anyone else has got the gift or had experience with a Seer before, because I've been reading about Samuel to gain some understanding, but some personal testimony wouldn't go amiss about it all!

I'm not really sure what I'm asking here.. I guess something like 'is anyone else here a Seer? And is there anything you could say to prepare me for what to expect in this area of God?' I don't really fully understand it all (which is why I been reading about Samuel) because I know it's different to being just a Prophet as such, and well nothing is really taught on it in church!

:)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

If such a prophecy were spoken over me I would put it absolutely in the hands of God, give myself over to God being willing to do as He leads and then I would forget it. If it is a true prophecy then let it come to pass as God so directs. If it is a true prophecy it will take quite a bit of time for the fulfillment. And if it does come to pass it wil be as you grow and develop in the Lord. I have been in the ministry a long time now and I have found it is best to simply trust in God, cast such things over on him, and move on in Jesus.

Edited by shepherdsgrace

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

*sigh*

Prophecy being spoken over people, it seems, is nothing more than a Christian form of 1-800-PSYCHIC. For one, there is no gift of "seer." A seer is something ascribed to the occult, a person who has a natural ability to forsee the future or uses potions to aquire this ability. God never uses "seers." Prophets also do not gain forsight based upon their ability; the forsight is given to them by God and it is for His purpose...they are to tell people what they saw and give a warning of how to avoid it.

My advice is that this was a false prophecy meant to stir emotions and give you hope for a future that probably won't occur. These "prophecies" always leave the erson with this happy feeling of, "Wow, God is going to give me this!" Notice how there are never any negative prophecies....which is absurd when we realize that 90% of the prophecies of the Bible are all negative.

God gives us all talents and gifts...but we discover these and then use them solely for His glory in all things that we do.

If such a prophecy were spoken over me I would put it absolutely in the hands of God, give myself over to God being willing to do as He leads and then I would forget it. If it is a true prophecy then let it come to pass as God so directs. If it is a true prophecy it will take quite a bit of time for the fulfillment. And if it does come to pass it wil be as you grow and develop in the Lord. I have been in the ministry a long time now and I have found it is best to simply trust in God, cast such things over on him, and move on in Jesus.

Yeah I have given it to God completely and am praying and awaiting Hid guidence on matters, but it never hurts to learn more about stuff!

Prophecy being spoken over people, it seems, is nothing more than a Christian form of 1-800-PSYCHIC. For one, there is no gift of "seer." A seer is something ascribed to the occult, a person who has a natural ability to forsee the future or uses potions to aquire this ability. God never uses "seers." Prophets also do not gain forsight based upon their ability; the forsight is given to them by God and it is for His purpose...they are to tell people what they saw and give a warning of how to avoid it.

Well for a start I'm going to have to dissagree with you. Indeed when I first heard it, the word "Seer" brought about connoctations of occult stuffs because that's all I had known it to be associated with, but upon further study myself and from a certain person here at my Bible College, a Seer is indeed someone used by God and called just that too:

"1 Chronicles 29:29 (NRSV) http://""' target="_blank">29Now the acts of King David, from first to last, are written in the records of the seer Samuel, and in the records of the prophet Nathan, and in the records of the seer Gad "

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

*sigh*

Prophecy being spoken over people, it seems, is nothing more than a Christian form of 1-800-PSYCHIC. For one, there is no gift of "seer." A seer is something ascribed to the occult, a person who has a natural ability to forsee the future or uses potions to aquire this ability. God never uses "seers." God gives us all talents and gifts...but we discover these and then use them solely for His glory in all things that we do.

Thank you so much for saying this apothanein kerdos!!!!

I'm am so thankful to God for your truthful insight on the matter

Peace to you my brother

God Bless

in His service,

TC

Well for a start I'm going to have to dissagree with you. Indeed when I first heard it, the word "Seer" brought about connoctations of occult stuffs because that's all I had known it to be associated with, but upon further study myself and from a certain person here at my Bible College, a Seer is indeed someone used by God and called just that too:

"1 Chronicles 29:29 (NRSV) <a href=http://""" target="_blank"></a>29Now the acts of King David, from first to last, are written in the records of the seer Samuel, and in the records of the prophet Nathan, and in the records of the seer Gad "

This is a mistranslation of the text. The Hebrew here is merely talking about one that sees or perceives something...not one that sees into the future. In fact, the same Hebrew word used here is also translated as "look" and "consider" in other portions of the book. The other word translated into "seer" in the King James actually comes from chazah which also means "to perceive." None of these mean, "Look into the future" or hold the same meaning as "seer" does today. It would be foolish for anyone to say, "You have the gift of seer." There is no such gift.

Thank you so much for saying this apothanein kerdos!!!!

I'm am so thankful to God for your truthful insight on the matter

No prob...I've been doing some reading on Christian mystics lately and this is a big part of it...these "extra-worldly" things that apparently help us get through this "mundane life." It is only by God I am able to even learn this stuff.

This is a mistranslation of the text. The Hebrew here is merely talking about one that sees or perceives something...not one that sees into the future. In fact, the same Hebrew word used here is also translated as "look" and "consider" in other portions of the book. The other word translated into "seer" in the King James actually comes from chazah which also means "to perceive." None of these mean, "Look into the future" or hold the same meaning as "seer" does today. It would be foolish for anyone to say, "You have the gift of seer." There is no such gift.

Well from this article I've been reading on http://www.streamsministries.com; as quoted as this:

WORD ORIGINS

Perhaps we should begin by looking at some of the Hebrew words translated in Scripture as "prophet" and "seer." The Strong's Concordance translates these as follows:

"SEER" Hebrew (7200, 7203, 2374, 2372)

-- Hebrew 7200: ra'ah, raw-aw'; to see, look, view; to realize, know, consider; to be selected; to become visible, appear, show oneself; to be seen; to cause to see, show; to be shown; to look at each other, meet with; a general word for visual perception.

-- Hebrew 7203: ro'eh, ro-eh'; a seer; vision.

-- Hebrew 2374: Chozeh, kho-zeh'; seer, one who receives a communication from God, with a possible focus that the message had a visual component; agreement.

-- Hebrew 2372: Chazah, khaw-zaw'; to see, to look, observe, gaze, by extension: to choose (one thing or another); to have visions, to prophesy.

"PROPHET" Hebrew (5030, 5012, 5197)

-- Hebrew 5030: nabiy', naw-bee'; a prophet (true or false).

-- Hebrew 5012: naba', naw-baw'; to prophesy, speak as a prophet; prophesy has its focus on encouraging or restoring covenant faithfulness, the telling of future events encourages obedience or warns against disobedience.

-- Hebrew 5197: nataph, naw-taf'; to pour down; gently fall, drip; to (drip words) preach, prophesy.

WORD USAGE

We also need to look at how the words are used. Many use the terms "seer" and "prophet" interchangeably. Furthermore, some believe that seers have not existed since the time of the Prophet Samuel (1150 B.C. - 1010 B.C.). They quote 1 Samuel 9:9: "(Formerly in Israel, when a man went to inquire of God, he spoke thus: 'Come, let us go to the seer' for he who is now called a prophet was formerly called a seer)".

... ...

In addition, there seems to be a difference even between those who functioned as "seers". In 1 Chronicles 29:29, the word "seer" is used twice, but it is not the same Hebrew word. "Now the acts of Kind David, first and last, indeed they are written in the book of Samuel the seer (7200), in the book of Nathan the prophet (5030), and in the book of Gad the seer (2374)" (1 Chronicles 29:29). Perhaps this indicates a difference in how Samuel and Gad received revelation from God.

Samuel had a wide variety of revelatory experiences, perhaps broader than Gad's. Samuel was gifted in visions, knowings, and dreams. He transcended time and geographic locality to watch events that were occurring simultaneously outside of his immediate geographic location. He knew who was coming to his door before the person arrived. He even predicted weather patterns 1 Samuel 12:17.

It is still a faulty interpretation of what is occuring. They render all of Samuel's powers unto himself, meaning they believe in the occultic definition of a seer. i looked through that site and wouldn't trust their teaching no matter what. It simply is not biblically based (they're modern mystics). Furthermore, this man is relying on a concordance. That simply is not adequate enough. Granted, I am no expert in Hebrew and certainly need help on it many times (self-taught, which I do not advocate...I need actual classes)...I can tell you right now that the passage I looked at is refering to someone who percieves things, NOT someone who forsees the future.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

It is still a faulty interpretation of what is occuring. They render all of Samuel's powers unto himself, meaning they believe in the occultic definition of a seer. i looked through that site and wouldn't trust their teaching no matter what. It simply is not biblically based (they're modern mystics). Furthermore, this man is relying on a concordance. That simply is not adequate enough. Granted, I am no expert in Hebrew and certainly need help on it many times (self-taught, which I do not advocate...I need actual classes)...I can tell you right now that the passage I looked at is refering to someone who percieves things, NOT someone who forsees the future.

1Sa 9:9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

This verse seems to me to be saying that a prophet and a seer are the same thing; only the terminology changed.

1Sa 3:20 And all Israel from Dan even to Beersheba knew that Samuel was established to be a prophet of the LORD.

Here, Samuel is called a prophet, while here:

1Sa 9:19 And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am the seer: go up before me unto the high place; for ye shall eat with me to day, and to morrow I will let thee go, and will tell thee all that is in thine heart.

1Sa 9:20 And as for thine asses that were lost three days ago, set not thy mind on them; for they are found. And on whom is all the desire of Israel? Is it not on thee, and on all thy father's house?

Samuel uses the term 'seer' of himself. He also is able to state that Saul's father's missing animals had been found. How could he know that in the natural?

Finally,

Sa 10:1 Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance?

1Sa 10:2 When thou art departed from me to day, then thou shalt find two men by Rachel's sepulchre in the border of Benjamin at Zelzah; and they will say unto thee, The asses which thou wentest to seek are found: and, lo, thy father hath left the care of the asses, and sorroweth for you, saying, What shall I do for my son?

1Sa 10:3 Then shalt thou go on forward from thence, and thou shalt come to the plain of Tabor, and there shall meet thee three men going up to God to Bethel, one carrying three kids, and another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine:

1Sa 10:4 And they will salute thee, and give thee two loaves of bread; which thou shalt receive of their hands.

1Sa 10:5 After that thou shalt come to the hill of God, where is the garrison of the Philistines: and it shall come to pass, when thou art come thither to the city, that thou shalt meet a company of prophets coming down from the high place with a psaltery, and a tabret, and a pipe, and a harp, before them; and they shall prophesy:

1Sa 10:6 And the Spirit of the LORD will come upon thee, and thou shalt prophesy with them, and shalt be turned into another man.

1Sa 10:7 And let it be, when these signs are come unto thee, that thou do as occasion serve thee; for God is with thee.

1Sa 10:8 And thou shalt go down before me to Gilgal; and, behold, I will come down unto thee, to offer burnt offerings, and to sacrifice sacrifices of peace offerings: seven days shalt thou tarry, till I come to thee, and shew thee what thou shalt do.

1Sa 10:9 And it was so, that when he had turned his back to go from Samuel, God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.

Samuel the 'seer' predicted the future to Saul, and it all came to pass. Is this not what a prophet does? Seems to me that the two terms are interchangeable.

Now, I will agree that not everyone who calls themselves a prophet or a seer is a man (or for that matter, woman) of the LORD. There were many in the Bible who were false prophets, and many nowadays as well.

Having said all that, my usual advice to anyone who is given a 'word from the LORD' is to test the spirits, according to 1 John 4.