• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/31/1949

Someone who claims to be a girl who is in 10th grade from Pakistan has gotten my IM from here, I suppose, which is ok, but she has been writing to me and asking me for money. I told her I would discuss it with my husband, and get back with her. She wrote me again a couple of days ago to ask him what he said. I told her that we don't know her, we don't even know if she is who she says she is, we don't know if she really is in need, or even if she really is from Pakistan. I told her that my husband and I are quite generous and we give money to help people all the time, but we can not, in good conscience, send money to someone who could be a scam artist (I didn't say that part to her) for all we know. She quoted some scriptures to me to try to put me on a guilt trip. She even told me that we should just trust God that she is who she says she is. I am not a stingy person, and I will help people who are truly in need, but how would you respond to someone like this?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  429
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

It's a scam, don't give!

Just tell her that you give through your church.

It's a scam, don't give!

Just tell her that you give through your church.

I figured as much, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about that verse in the Bible that talks about how you might be entertaining an angel when you take in a stranger, so a part of me says "help," and another part of me says, "no." But, since my husband said "no," then it is "no." That what I have him for - the sensible one! :online2long: But, sometimes he needs me, too - the sensitive one. Between us we make one complete person.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

Nope, nope, nope!

Tell her that you will pray that the Lord will supply her needs. Tell her to find a Christian church there in Pakistan and they will help her.

I find her story hard to believe when she is contacting you on the internet. That means she either has a computer or is of good enough means to have access to one. Not ususally the case of the starving in third world countries.

Nope, nope, nope!

Tell her that you will pray that the Lord will supply her needs. Tell her to find a Christian church there in Pakistan and they will help her.

I find her story hard to believe when she is contacting you on the internet. That means she either has a computer or is of good enough means to have access to one. Not ususally the case of the starving in third world countries.

Yes, that was another thought that came to my mind. Also, she speaks fluent English, so she is educated. She said she was writing from her school computer. Everything just sounded so suspicious.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Heaven would have to be a pretty hurting place if angels have to resort to the internet. You could google pakistan churches and give her the name of a local church. :online2long:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  49
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I completely agree with IslandRose.... I have heard of these kind of scams recently... People get your IM or email and start asking for money. Don't feel bad... tell her you'll pray that she gets what she needs, but that is all that you can do for her.

Jennifer

I completely agree with IslandRose.... I have heard of these kind of scams recently... People get your IM or email and start asking for money. Don't feel bad... tell her you'll pray that she gets what she needs, but that is all that you can do for her.

Jennifer

Thank you! I appreciate the feedback.

Heaven would have to be a pretty hurting place if angels have to resort to the internet. You could google pakistan churches and give her the name of a local church. :online2long:

Gerioke,

I hope you never change! :wacko: I mean that sincerely. I can always count on you to give an interesting perspective on most any subject. I suggested that she should contact some local charitable organizations or her church to get help. Thanks for your input!

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

The same thing happened to me. Some guy claiming to be from a refugee camp somewhere in Africa. The first few conversations were very pleasant, and then he started asking for money.

It's just another scam.

Folks in those places have missionaries that they can go to, they have the world relief fund; they have the Red Cross. If they're in that much need, then they'll find the help something in the immediate area. They don't need complete strangers from the internet sending them cash.