• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

I have a couple though, that I prefer to wear under something because they are cheezy. :emot-hug:

pray tell....what do they say?? :emot-handshake:

One shirt says "Heaven or Hell? Any questions?"

and has a avisual depiction of Heaven and a visual depiction of Hell. The Hell looks gloomy enough, but for Heaven they have green grass, blue sky, a little brook or river running through it and this building that looks like a crypt. In short heaven looks pretty lame on this particular shirt.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

It's simply the commercialization and materialization of the church.

"Show yourself seperate by wearing a shirt that has Jesus on it!"

The Bible said we would be known by our love for one another and creation....not for the shirts we wear.

They're most often cheesey, lack imagination, and just cheap knock offs of popular brans. Such as, "A bread crumb and a fish" in replace of "Abercrombie and Fish." Or "Bible Monoply," "Testa-mints," or "Boots of the Gospel" shoes (I'm not kidding, I actually saw these).....it's pathetic and cheapens what Christianity really is. It also helps to entrench the "secular/sacred" divide that leads to misplaced dualism. Wearing a Christian t-shirt means nothing to God or to anyone else....it's your actions, not your shirt.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with t-shirts with Christian messages or wrist bands with WWJD on them, or even hats with a Christian symbol like a fish on it. There are plenty of evil messages floating around, so what's wrong with positive ones? The main thing to me is I think we need to be careful what we are doing while using Christian witnessing tools.

It is like the story I heard one time about a person with a "Honk If You Love Jesus" bumper sticker on his car. When someone actually did honk the horn, he misunderstood the intent and gave them the finger. What would have been a good witness turned ugly. I wouldn't want to be wearing a t-shirt with a Christian message on it in a bar for instance.

I have one christian T in particular that I wear alot when I'm gigging in bars. It's got a plethara of famous people and says only one of these people can save your soul, and on the back is a picture of the western interpretation of Jesus. This shirt has offered me the oppurtunity to discuss Jesus with people in the night club atmosphere and serves as a witnessing tool. :noidea:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  42
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  09/11/1964

Wearing a Christian t-shirt means nothing to God or to anyone else....it's your actions, not your shirt.

Perhaps others won't care (except to other believers who may say "I like your shirt" in an effort to identify themselves...), but it IS an outreach of sorts. Beats seeing scuzzy filth and near nudity.

It is a way of keeping my attitude right. I agree with previous writers that it helps curb the bad side of my human nature. That's probably why I don't have a fish on my car - my driving speed is at the lower end of the things He's working on with me!

:noidea:

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

Perhaps others won't care (except to other believers who may say "I like your shirt" in an effort to identify themselves...), but it IS an outreach of sorts. Beats seeing scuzzy filth and near nudity.

No it's not...that's one of the biggest misconceptions out there. True, you might reach a few people, but the majority of lost people are turned off by it. I know because I still actually talk to lost people ( :o ). It's a major turn off because they know exactly what to expect. Right or wrong for their stereotype, it is still the truth. Likewise, if it takes a shirt to make people notice we are a Christian, then we are in horrible shape and the shirt won't help regardless.

Likewise, I don't ahve to have "John 3:16" on my shirt in order to make it less immodest. There are many clothing companies out there that are still modest. Besides...are you seriously going to tell me that when a girl wears a t-shirt that is cammo and says, "I *heart* Jesus" in pink on the front (on her bust) that it's promoting modesty? I hate to be so graphic but it is the equivalent to saying, "Look at my chest AND love Jesus!"

I am not saying all Christian clothing is wrong...just the vast majority. :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.21

I believe Christian wear is an excellent tool!

Likewise if we speak God's Word, we speak life!!!

So "Christian wear" might be the start of winning spiritual warfare. Who knows!

Ephesians 6:12: "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against ... the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms." :24:

hi Juan!

Wonderful words ! So true!

We are to speak LIFE!

GOD Bless,

elkie

• Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

What do you think about Christian wear? examples: T-shirts, bracelets, dog tags, hats, magnetic fish for the car, etc......

some I like and some I would not want to be caught in.

I read a book a while back called Addicted to Mediocrity, by Franky Schaffer, about Christians and the arts. Among other things, Mr Schaffer deals with the notion of reducing the Almighty G-d, Creator and Sustainer of the universe, to a slogan or a catch-phrase on a bumper sticker. I find that a little disturbing, personally. I think we demean the Lord when we use "Christian-speak" as a so-called witness. I think this sort of thing produces a very shallow view of Christianity and the Lord. So, I guess I wouldn't be caught dead in any kind of Christian wear, just out of respect.

• Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,838
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Birthday:  05/29/1991

Sometimes I preach in sneakers,jeans, sport coat, and Christian Tee shirt. Most time you will find with a Christian Tee shirt on, they have started many conversations

But I'd be concerned that I would also have many controversal rows in the street, or be embarrased, when all I wanted was a Coke..... :P

• Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,692
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Birthday:  12/31/1952

Motive is always a huge issue with me.

1) Do you wear it because you want people to know you are a Christian? Do your actions support that while wearing it?

2) Do you wear it to stir up conversation? Will your words reflect Christ no matter who you are talking to?

3) Are you prepared to denfend your faith lovingly if questioned?

4) Do you wear it as a reminder to yourself to walk in the Spirit all day long? (Such as with the bracelet)

We are not to judge each other on what we wear so these are all good questions to ask yourself as you put on your Christian attire.

In His Love~

Rania

One of the best responses I've ever read/heard to this interesting question! :P

• Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Christian wear is great for young people. I like to see people in the streets, or in offices or shops, wearing a Christian bracelet (WWJD I think) - it identifies people.

I used to work in a supermarket and the cleaners would come in about 10 minutes before the shop closed, the boss of the cleaners who was there about 50% of the time had a baseball-type cap with WWJD on it that he always wore while working. It is amazing how many people asked him what the letters stood for.

We were changing to go home at the factory where I work the other day and one guy whom I know is not a Christian had a tee shirt on with a picture of Jesus and a scrpture under his overalls. He said he had bought it at the thrift shop for $1 and "it was his size and anything would do to wear to work".

I can't see, though, somebody buying Christian bracelets, dog tags or car ornaments from the thrift shop, unless of course they were Christian.

I had a metal fish for my old car (which was wrecked). It wasn't magnetic so I had to glue it on and I managed to chisel it off, but the imprint of the fish still remained. My son used that car body to make up a stock car that he used to be in the "demolition derby". The scene of the wreck when the competition was finished was quite errie really, he came second in the derby and the car, at the end of it, had one tyre totally ripped off it, two wheels buckled, the radiator absolutely wrecked shooting steam everywhere and the body of the car basically looked like it had been through a car crusher. My son slipped out through what had been the front windscreen.

Anyway the imprint of the fish was clearly visible, the light caught it and it really stood out as being the only thing that was not damaged.

I don't have any Christian car ornaments any more as I feel that If I have that on my car I really should obey all the road rules and I know I don't - it is just the way it is, sometimes it is impractical to do so. So my only concession is a key ring with a fish on it. My daughter was working here and living with us last year and I gave her some keys to the house on a key ring which was a wooden cross, she said she found that awkward as she didn't know what to say if somebody asked her about it. She has "gone back" now and I noticed that she still has the key ring (she actually took her other keys off what they were on and put them on the "Cross" ring), so she must like it.