• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Is it necessary to believe in the authority of Scripture, in order to be a Christian? Are we required to affirm this at the new birth? Can I be a viable witness without submission to the truth of His Word? Note: the word "authority" versus "inerrant"... Southern Baptist discussed at great length, but it was packaged a little differently...It was discussed from an identification angle...Are we a people who had an encountered with the Word or an encounter with Jesus? Or is there any difference? Now don't wimp out and say this is purely semantics...Theology is about preciseness...

Edited by David from New Bern

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  1,390
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Dear David from New Bern,

I love that you always have something godo to say and deep in God, too! That is great! What could ever be better than knowing God anyway?!!!!

Well, you said it : "preciseness" Gods Word is precise. Jesus is the Word, also. We have our relationship in Jesus Himself. I dentify with the Lord and GOd lives in me. ALL Truth is JEsus, The Truth , The Way and The Life! But, the Holy Scriptures are without error!

THese two things should not be conflicting in any way.

I have to say, I see too many groups trying ot invalidate something the Bible says and yet keep Christ, and I find that not an honest thing to do.

SO, YES, one must believe in the inerrant WOrd of God , The Bible and Christ!

When one asks Christ into their heart, they stil need ot not take the Scriptures for granted, they need to study them and pray and read and let the Holy SPirit living in them direct to them what God has to say to them also.

It is wonderful to pray and talk with GOd and then to hear what HE has to say about things!

All Scripture being GOD-breathed, are having an encounter with The Holy God of the Bible when they read His word, too.

Not by men nor might. But, by My Spirit I will accomplish these things, says The Lord.

Maybe we can talk more on this.

God bless!

elkie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Is it necessary to believe in the authority of Scripture, in order to be a Christian? Are we required to affirm this at the new birth? Can I be a viable witness without submission to the truth of His Word? Note: the word "authority" versus "inerrant"... Southern Baptist discussed at great length, but it was packaged a little differently...It was discussed from an identification angle...Are we a people who had an encountered with the Word or an encounter with Jesus? Or is there any difference? Now don't wimp out and say this is purely semantics...Theology is about preciseness...

Greetings David from New Bern,

Are you positing this as a serious question, one which you would like to have the answer, OR are you throwing your statement out to the crowd just to get responses? Is it edifying?

Anyone who suggests that knowing Christ without knowing His Word, I question their faith, perhaps even their salvation. I believe the Canon of Scripture is currently closed. What we have in the form of the Bible is God's "inspired Word" to us. It is good and profitable to make the person of and in Christ whole in all ways.

What is the answer you were looking for?

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

In terms of salvation, believing in the authority of scripture is not a requirement. Salvation comes from entering into a redemptive relationship with God through Jesus. However, if one does not believe in the authority of scripture is in error theologically and thus missing out on part of God's will for our lives

Guest stech1

Good to see someone from my neck of the woods. I grew up in New Bern, but make my abode in Newport now. Had to get a bit closer to the Ocean. :blink: I think you question is a very valid one. The canon of scripture was not agreed upon until the 4th century. Christian prior to then were free to choose what books they wanted to believe in and which were not. Even after the official formation of the canon, there were many that chose not to accept portions of it. The great reformer, Martin Luther, considered the Epistle of James to an epistle of straw.

There is nothing wrong with being circumspect and critical about the canon. Inspiration applies to the original writings themselves, and while our translations are generally reliable, there can be reasonable questions raised about the validity of some of it as we have it today.

I personally like the idea that the bible contains the word of God... I know this is an unpopular idea in some circles, and makes me liberal to many, but for me, that position is much easier to defend. And, it allows me to embrace truth, where I find it. This is just my opinion.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,316
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  07/01/1970

John 1:1-14 Jesus and the Word are one-**12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God> Can't separate!!

John 1:1-14

In the beginning the Word already existed. He was with God, and he was God. He was in the beginning with God. He created everything there is. Nothing exists that he didn't make. Life itself was in him, and this life gives light to everyone. The light shines through the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.

God sent John the Baptist to tell everyone about the light so that everyone might believe because of his testimony. John himself was not the light; he was only a witness to the light. The one who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was going to come into the world.

But although the world was made through him, the world didn't recognize him when he came. Even in his own land and among his own people, he was not accepted.**12 But to all who believed him and accepted him, he gave the right to become children of God. They are reborn! This is not a physical birth resulting from human passion or plan--this rebirth comes from God.

Thank you Jesus

So the Word became human and lived here on earth among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. And we have seen his glory, the glory of the only Son of the Father.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

David, your question is so relevant to what we are hearing in the Spirit at the moment. What exactly is the Word of God, or more importantly, like Candi pointed out, who is He? God promised that in the New Covenant, His Word would be written on our hearts, a Rhema Word, a life-giving, life- sustaining Word! Everyone who believes in Jesus, needs to know Him as the Word and believe in His absolute authority and sovereignity... the written translations of men, interpretations, paraphrasing and even 'revelation' knowledge must be taken in perspective. The Holy Spirit, Jesus introduced as the Spirit of Truth, who will lead us into all truth and reveal all things. He is the Ruach, the breath of God and the Word,was God-breathed. It is Him who inspired men to write and whose authority backs up the written (logos)Word as the revelation of Jesus Christ, which was its ultimate purpose. It is Him that said that the letter killeth but the Spirit gives life..so the Rhema Word is what we should believe in for it has been revealed and written on our hearts by the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead.

vitality

• Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings,

I have yet to meet a Christian who has matured without the Word of God being fully tucked into their heart and mind. God does not automatically pour out knowledge into our minds, but instead uses His Word to bring us along to maturity. A person who never "studies to show themselves approved", is like a tree that never received any water or nourishment. It will spring up for a time, but will quickly fade away. The parable of the sower is a good example. Fertile ground, one with access to good nourishment and water will produce good fruit, and by their fruit shall you know them.

I don't expect a baby Christian to "know" very much, but if they truly love the Lord, they will desire to get to know Him through His Word. If they don't, I question their faith AND their salvation.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20

If you doubt the authority of scripture then you lack proper justification to explain how you are saved.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

If you doubt the authority of scripture then you lack proper justification to explain how you are saved.

:b:

On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him." John 7:37,38

But he continued, "You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins." John 8:23,24

Scripture reveals the will of God; It reflects His character. How can we truly know HIM if we refuse to believ in His Word, which He has provided for our edification?