• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

OK, I got the story right but the date wrong, sorry. Missed it by 8 days,ugh, I gotta re-read the new testament clear through again.Thanks JCK

The jist of it was that Jesus was visited by 2 dead people and He spoke to them.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Is it possible that he is speaking with an angel who has taken the form of someone he trusts?

I see no biblical record of such an event, and see no reason why that would be necessary.

Didn't Jesus speak to the dead?

Didn't He speak to Elijah and Moses the night He was praying that the cup be taken from His hands?

I don't think that was on the same night.

Also, Christ is and was God...he has...access...to certain things that we do not.

God doesn't mince words when it comes to talking to the dead:

"Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead." - Deut. 18:10-11 NIV (emphasis mine)

It was not on the same day as Jesus' torment and prayer on the Mount of Olives but it did occur about 8 days after Peter confesses Jesus to be the Christ.

Luke 9:29-31 As he was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became as bright as a flash of lighning, Two men, Moses and Elijah appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. They spoke about his departure, which he was about to bring to fulfullment in Jerusalem.

I question this person's thinking and soundness of mind. And that is what I will pray about.

By the way Elijah is not dead and Moses (buried by God?)...The real test case for this speaking to the dead is found in 1 Samuel

Now Samuel had died, and all Israel had lamented for him and buried him in Ramah, in his own city. And Saul had put the mediums and the spiritists out of the land. Then the Philistines gathered together, and came and encamped at Shunem. So Saul gathered all Israel together, and they encamped at Gilboa. When Saul saw the army of the Philistines, he was afraid, and his heart trembled greatly. And when Saul inquired of the Lord, the Lord did not answer him, either by dreams or by Urim or by the prophets. Then Saul said to his servants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, that I may go to her and inquire of her." And his servants said to him, "In fact, there is a woman who is a medium at En Dor." So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, "Please conduct a s

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

'David from New Bern'

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

When Jesus spoke with Moses and Elijah He considered them living not dead. He used this as a time to teach that God is God of the Living not the dead. They visited with him from paradise. He did this as Christ, Lord of All. This was very different, not to even be compared or mentioned in the same line as what people are talking about when they say they are communing with the dead. Communing with the dead is an abomination to God and sternly forbidden. It is something to completely turn away from regardless of any deception to make it seem acceptable. It is a means of trying to receive information through a means of Satan rather than God. It appeals to the flesh. It is dangerous. It is forbidden. It will bring its own reaping.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Didn't Jesus speak to the dead?

Didn't He speak to Elijah and Moses the night He was praying that the cup be taken from His hands?

No, Jesus did not speak to Elijah and Moses on the night he prayed to have the cup of suffering removed. He spoke with Elijah and Moses on the day He was transfigured:

And six days later Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John his brother, and brought them up to a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them; and His face shone like the sun, and His garments became as white as light. And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. And Peter answered and said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah." While he was still speaking, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them; and behold, a voice out of the cloud, saying, "This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!"

Matthew 17:1-5 NASB

The context of this passage is:

1. Jesus had predicted His death and resurrection (Matthew 16:21-22)

2. Peter argued with Him, telling Him that this could not happen (Matthew 16:22)

3. Jesus corrected Peter's thinking and predicted that:

For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels; and will then recompense every man according to his deeds. Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who shall not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.

Matthew 16:27-28 NASB

Now in the passage (Matthew 17:1-5) we see that six days later Jesus takes Peter, James, and John (His key guys) to a high mountan by themselves. The text then says Jesus was "transfigured" before them (Matthew 17:2). This transfiguration was demonstrated by:

1. Jesus face "shining like the son"

2. His garments becoming "white as light".

Jesus face shining is like Moses face when he was before God at Sinai (Exod 34:29-30). These three disciples were being given a glimps of Jesus prediction in Matthew 16:27-28 (namely his return in glory). The appearance of Moses and Elijah during Jesus transfiguration makes perfect sense. Moses was the model for the prophet (Deuteronomy 18:18) and Elijah was the forerunner for Messiah (Malachi 4:5-6). Both of their lives ended in an "atypical fashion". Both served God during times of transition (Moses with the introduction of the covenant, and Elijah during a time of renewed adherence to it). Both experienced a vision of God's glory (Moses at Sinai and Elijah and Horeb). Now the glory they see is the glory of Jesus.

Peter misunderstood their significance. He wanted to build 3 tabernacles (1 for Jesus, 1 for Moses, and 1 for Elijah). The Father's voice came out of heaven to correct Peter's thinking (for the second time in a week). God said:

This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!

Matthew 17:5b NASB

Peter had attempted to make Jesus the same as the other two. They were not the ones to be listend to or talked to. It is Jesus who is the unique word of God. Moses and Elijah are only his servants.

That is why the writer of Hebrews says this:

God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, hrough whom also He made the world. And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high

Hebrews 1:1-3 NASB

That is why we do not talk to the dead. God does not speak to us through them. He speaks to us through His son. We will be tempted like Peter to equate the word of voices we may hear with that of Jesus. We need to listen to the voice of God in this matter:

This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well-pleased; listen to Him!

Matthew 17:5b NASB

Guest jckduboise
OK, I got the story right but the date wrong, sorry. Missed it by 8 days,ugh, I gotta re-read the new testament clear through again.Thanks JCK

The jist of it was that Jesus was visited by 2 dead people and He spoke to them.

I wasn't trying to correct you, sorry there was no offense intended if you took it that way.

I happened to have been reading Luke recently and that event took place, it stuck with me as amazing and wonderful. I was simply filling in the blanks.