IGNORED

does god intervene in non believers lives???

>> Hannah <<

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

G-d intervenes providentially in the lives of all, believers and unbelievers, to the extent that the world is moving along a predetermined course according to His will. But He does not hear the prayers of unbelievers (with the exception of the prayer of repentance and salvation, of course), so to say that G-d intervenes in their lives the same way He does in the lives of believers is not substantiated in Scripture.

Finally someone who is actually answering my question.... so if a non christian were to pray that there dying father was healed of cancer god would ignore it, as it was not a prayer of repentance or salvation.... sure only god knows their heart... but if there just praying on a whim that maybe this unsure being will help.... will he answer it....??

Many Christians pray that their loved ones will not die of cancer, and their loved ones DO die of cancer. That does not mean God did not hear and answer their prayer. The only promise of Godly action we have is for our soul in eternity, God intervenes for us where it matters and may indeed intervene when we pray for healing for a loved one, and may not intervene. An unbeliever may be totally healed of cancer based on the providence of God. The greatest Kings of the world have held positions of honor and title, yet have been unbelievers. A long healthy life is no evidence of salvation, as a sick poor life on this earth is no evidence that a person has been abandoned by God, or a lack of belief. Some of the greatest Christians of the world have been sick, poor and unsuccessful people.

An unbeliever could not pray to Christ as they don't believe in Christ, so what they are saying is just words in the wind directed who knows where.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

G-d intervenes providentially in the lives of all, believers and unbelievers, to the extent that the world is moving along a predetermined course according to His will. But He does not hear the prayers of unbelievers (with the exception of the prayer of repentance and salvation, of course), so to say that G-d intervenes in their lives the same way He does in the lives of believers is not substantiated in Scripture.

Finally someone who is actually answering my question.... so if a non christian were to pray that there dying father was healed of cancer god would ignore it, as it was not a prayer of repentance or salvation.... sure only god knows their heart... but if there just praying on a whim that maybe this unsure being will help.... will he answer it....??

Many Christians pray that their loved ones will not die of cancer, and their loved ones DO die of cancer. That does not mean God did not hear and answer their prayer. The only promise of Godly action we have is for our soul in eternity, God intervenes for us where it matters and may indeed intervene when we pray for healing for a loved one, and may not intervene. An unbeliever may be totally healed of cancer based on the providence of God. The greatest Kings of the world have held positions of honor and title, yet have been unbelievers. A long healthy life is no evidence of salvation, as a sick poor life on this earth is no evidence that a person has been abandoned by God, or a lack of belief. Some of the greatest Christians of the world have been sick, poor and unsuccessful people.

An unbeliever could not pray to Christ as they don't believe in Christ, so what they are saying is just words in the wind directed who knows where.

Good answer.

I think people who don't know God may still pray to the "unkown God"(Acts 17) and He may or may not answer their prayers.

God is very merciful and longsuffering to the wicked when they repent. Nineveh the wicked city was spared and they were not believers in the sense that they were worshippers and followers of God.

Excerpt from Eastons Bible Dictionary

First mentioned in Ge 10:11, which is rendered in the Revised Version, "He [i.e., Nimrod] went forth into Assyria and builded Nineveh." It is not again noticed till the days of Jonah, when it is described (Jon 3:3; 4:11) as a great and populous city, the flourishing capital of the Assyrian empire (2Ki 19:36; Isa 37:37). The book of the prophet Nahum is almost exclusively taken up with prophetic denunciations against this city. Its ruin and utter desolation are foretold (Na 1:14; 3:19, etc.). Zephaniah also (Zep 2:13-15) predicts its destruction along with the fall of the empire of which it was the capital. From this time there is no mention of it in Scripture till it is named in gospel history (Mt 12:41; Lu 11:32).

Lots of non-believers (unsaved pray when things go bad) There is ample evidence in the scriptures that show that God may show mercy to them.

This happened after the preaching of Jonah.

Jonah 3:6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.

Jonah 3:7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:

Jonah 3:8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.

Jonah 3:9 Who can tell if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

Jonah 3:10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God's words to Jonah on why He had mercy on Nineveh.

Jonah 4:10-11 Then said the LORD, Thou hast had pity on the gourd, for the which thou hast not laboured, neither madest it grow; which came up in a night, and perished in a night: And should not I spare Nineveh, that great city, wherein are more than sixscore thousand persons that cannot discern between their right hand and their left hand; and also much cattle?

Anyway, you seem to be a very thoughtful person.

God bless,

Robert

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/06/1987

so what is gods intervention based on?

so what is gods intervention based on?

God's will.

Which is an unfulfilling answer I know. I don't know God's will when it comes to His providence on this earth in individual events. All we can know for sure is that He hears all of our prayers, He answers them in His own way based on His will, and that we have eternal salvation through His promise and love. Beyond that I have no idea when or why God intervenes in human activity, except that all things work together for good to those who are His. I think part of the mystery and part of the wonder of living a Christian life on this earth is to always keep our heart and our whole being open to what God is saying to us, to be silent and listen.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  164
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  02/06/1987

I think part of the mystery and part of the wonder of living a Christian life on this earth is to always keep our heart and our whole being open to what God is saying to us, to be silent and listen.

I just think that with the chritianity stuff there are so many unanswered questions that its difficult for me too see how it could be true....

faith is just a cop out of saying just trust it...afraid i cant just trust it

I think part of the mystery and part of the wonder of living a Christian life on this earth is to always keep our heart and our whole being open to what God is saying to us, to be silent and listen.

I just think that with the chritianity stuff there are so many unanswered questions that its difficult for me too see how it could be true....

faith is just a cop out of saying just trust it...afraid i cant just trust it

The reason I believe in Christ and His resurrection is not because it is easy or a cop out, but because it has that ring of truth to it that real things do. Christ is not saying just trust it, He is saying I am here for you, and He is. But as far as unanswered questions, well those are part of the human condition, I would be very very suspicious of anything which claimed it had all of the answers served them up in an easy to digest fashion, which all worked out perfectly. Does this life work out perfectly for anybody? No, it is hard and a mystery, I am done with easy answers I want the real thing, and Christ on the cross is the real thing, it really happened and it hits me in the face with His sacrifice and His comfort and yes His mystery.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Cronelius is another example on the books of Acts. He was a 'semi-convert" to Judaism. The text in Acts says God:

1. Heard Cornelius' Prayers

2. Sent him a vision

3. Sent him to Peter.

All before he was saved

Cronelius is another example on the books of Acts. He was a 'semi-convert" to Judaism. The text in Acts says God:

2. Sent him a vision

3. Sent him to Peter.

All before he was saved

Good point Eric,

I think God calls many many people, of course God calls those who don't have faith yet. Every time a person even has an inkling of God, a question about God, anything, it is the Holy Spirit working in them.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  527
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

2. Sent him a vision

3. Sent him to Peter.

All before he was saved

Certainly an intervention example of someone who would come to faith. In fact can we conclude that when God does intervene it is always for redemptive purposes involving te target or someone in the audience of the miraculous. Or can we conclude that everyone receives mercy (Getting a break when we don't deserve it) in order that we might desire grace (the gift of God we don't deserve)? I actually use this as an ice breaker occassionally when called to visit in the hospital in select situations. I had a young man who had a hunting accident and was hospitalized. I was asked to visit him. So, after a few minutes of introduction I said, Everybody knows what mercy is...a close call! Can I tell you about grace? I did and he is in the church today.

Guest jckduboise
I believe God intervenes in every ones life. some of the time we recognize it as such, other times we ignore it and chalk it up to "LUCK"

People are praying for others, people are surviving when they should be killed ( believers and non-believers alike)

when some one talks about a close call and they are a non-believer, the believer has just had a door opened to give God the Glory as a witness for God.

when the Spirit of God was released unto this earth, lives changed, and they will continue to change. a prime example, is my neighbor, he does not realize how much God is intervening in his life. one day, he may even come to realize how important God is. he is prayed for lots and his life has changed, it has been taking several years, and it may take more, i dont know Gods timing on this.

Saul was a non-believer, and the Lord intervened in his life, and then as Paul he became one of the greatest disciples ( in mans eyes )

Why did he intervene in Saul's life? To become Paul and lead such an historical event as he did?

Was Paul originally one of His chosen children?

I read David's post and I tend to believe that same as he...and as Elkie said it rains on the just and the unjust alike...so what was the purpose of taking a persecutor such as Saul and making him one of the most talked about messengers of the New Testament?