• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

God's word is in the bible. Many cults do use it just as Satan did.

How did our Lord refute Satan?

Matthew 4:3-4 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

All I am saying is that using the bible is not "bible thumping". I think God's word is being slighted and that false doctrines and beliefs are spread because the bible is not being used as our final authority for faith and practice.

I don't believe that using the bible "turns people off".

I believe many people either hate God and His word and are in rebellion against Him like many of us before we were saved.

The word of God is neglected and replaced by "feel good" stories and worldly philosophy.

Paul warns.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Paul had some problems with some people that claimed to be spiritual but could not acknowledge his writings as authoritive.

1 Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

When I was looking for a good church to go to I found many preachers in the pulpit read very little scripture but spent a lot of time telling "stories" etc.

I always prefer a church where the word is read, studied and expounded upon. I respect those who respectGod's word.

I hope everyone on the boards has a blessed day. :thumbsup:

Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Edited by Rober H

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jckduboise

Matthew 4:3-4 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread. But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

All I am saying is that using the bible is not "bible thumping". I think God's word is being slighted and that false doctrines and beliefs are spread because the bible is not being used as our final authority for faith and practice.

I believe many people either hate God and His word and are in rebellion against Him like many of us before we were saved.

The word of God is neglected and replaced by "feel good" stories and worldly philosophy.

Paul warns.

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Paul had some problems with some people that claimed to be spiritual but could not acknowledge his writings as authoritive.

1 Corinthians 14:37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

When I was looking for a good church to go to I found many preachers in the pulpit read very little scripture but spent a lot of time telling "stories" etc.

I always prefer a church where the word is read, studied and expounded upon. I respect those who respectGod's word.

I hope everyone on the boards has a blessed day. :)

Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I want to personally thank you for your concern as to whether or not we are teaching and sharing the word of God correctly and appropraitely to other believers and non..I have to say however that your post seems judgemental toward those of us who have never been a pastor/minister with a congregation for 6 yrs to get it "right"..a verse comes to mind when I read the posts in this thread..judge not lest ye be judged.

God knows what He is doing here, if any of us are in the wrong God will correct us...we are His children and He never leaves a good work incomplete..

You have a blessed day as well brother. :P

Paul warns.

I want to personally thank you for your concern as to whether or not we are teaching and sharing the word of God correctly and appropraitely to other believers and non..I have to say however that your post seems judgemental toward those of us who have never been a pastor/minister with a congregation for 6 yrs to get it "right"..a verse comes to mind when I read the posts in this thread..judge not lest ye be judged.

God knows what He is doing here, if any of us are in the wrong God will correct us...we are His children and He never leaves a good work incomplete..

God knows what he is doing. I agree. The bible is full of correction, exhortation, and wisdom. We will find in it's pages the direction God wants us to take and the life He desires us to live.

I would like to share what an unkown author wrote about our Holy book.

This book reveals the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

Read it to be wise, believe it to be safe, and practice it to be holy.

It contains light to direct you, food to support you, and comfort to cheer you.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

Here, too, heaven is opened and the gates of hell disclosed.

Christ is its grand subject, our good its design, and the glory of God its end.

It should fill the memory, rule the heart, and guide the feet.

Read it slowly, frequently, prayerfully.

It is a mine of wealth, a paradise of glory, and a river of pleasure.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, will regard the greatest labor, and condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

Owned in riches; studied in wisdom; trusted in salvation; loved it is character; and obeyed it is power.

Author Unknown

With that in mind let us share with joy the contents of the most profound compilation of books ever written.

Let us exhort one another to point believers and non-believers to the book which contains the past, the present and the future state of man.

At your service,

Robert

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Guest jckduboise

Paul warns.

I hope everyone on the boards has a blessed day. :blink:

You have a blessed day as well brother. :)

God knows what he is doing. I agree. The bible is full of correction, exhortation, and wisdom. We will find in it's pages the direction God wants us to take and the life He desires us to live.

This book reveals the mind of God, the state of man, the way of salvation, the doom of sinners, and the happiness of believers.

Its doctrines are holy, its precepts are binding, its histories are true, and its decisions are immutable.

It is the traveler's map, the pilgrim's staff, the pilot's compass, the soldier's sword, and the Christian's charter.

It is given you in life, will be opened at the judgment, and be remembered forever.

It involves the highest responsibility, will regard the greatest labor, and condemn all who trifle with its sacred contents.

Owned in riches; studied in wisdom; trusted in salvation; loved it is character; and obeyed it is power.

Author Unknown

With that in mind let us share with joy the contents of the most profound compilation of books ever written.

Let us exhort one another to point believers and non-believers to the book which contains the past, the present and the future state of man.

At your service,

Robert

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

And praise be His name...thank you Robert from the bottom of my heart. :24:

Greetings hr.jr.

I think you summed it up well in this sentence.

"At some point, I will use scripture in my discussion with them."

I hope we all share the scriptures with non-believers when trying to lead them to Christ.

Don't forget this thread is about making our points to believers too. In fact the thread has been turned into a thread about "bible thumpers". (whoever they are :24: )

Welcome to the discussion and thanks for your input.

May God bless you in your witnessing!

Psalms 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

Your brother in Christ,

Robert

Paul warns.

Author Unknown

At your service,

Robert

And praise be His name...thank you Robert from the bottom of my heart. :blink:

You are most welcome! And that is from my heart as well. :24:

Psalms 119:16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

All true believers are led by the Spirit of God.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

The scriptures are innerrant, inspired writings that have been given to us by the Holy Spirit. All of our doctrine and actions should be in line with the Holy Bible.

The danger of leaving the scriptures out of our conversation with believers is that we could slip from our foundation and fall into error.

2 Timothy 4:3-4 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

The spirit of God will point believers to the word for doctrine, reproof and correction.

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Prayerfully studying the bible, giving heed and acting upon the scriptures will give us all the wisdom and knowledge we need to aid and comfort our brethren and lead non-believers to Christ.

Galatians 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Make prayerfully studying God's word a top priority and you will be sanctified and furnished to be a blessing to your brothers and sisters.

Remember the Lord's prayer for the apostles and believers.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

There is a reason many are "turned off" by the word of God.

John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Let us labor to build up our faith.

Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Guest jckduboise

I know for myself Robert that there are periods that I do not feel like staying in the Word. I know that is what I am supposed to do, I was commanded to do by God. And yet , even though I know I am supposed to I don't....I read and study pretty steady and really feel the Truth reaching me and then I go through that time when I seem almost to get overwhelmed with it all and need a break..

Believe me when I say I do not always feel comfortable about it yet I can look back at the dry times and see that even though I wasn't intent on His Word through scripture I was still intense on learning what He was saying in His word.

That in itself is tesimony and something that needs to be shown to the believers and non believers as well. And it is usually during the times of learning that I remember what I read and how it applies to my life currently. I love the verse (please remind me which) that says "they will minister and sometimes they will speak."

:thumbsup:

I know for myself Robert that there are periods that I do not feel like staying in the Word. I know that is what I am supposed to do, I was commanded to do by God. And yet , even though I know I am supposed to I don't....I read and study pretty steady and really feel the Truth reaching me and then I go through that time when I seem almost to get overwhelmed with it all and need a break..

Believe me when I say I do not always feel comfortable about it yet I can look back at the dry times and see that even though I wasn't intent on His Word through scripture I was still intense on learning what He was saying in His word.

That in itself is tesimony and something that needs to be shown to the believers and non believers as well. And it is usually during the times of learning that I remember what I read and how it applies to my life currently. I love the verse (please remind me which) that says "they will minister and sometimes they will speak."

:thumbsup:

I am not sure which scripture you are refering. Could it be these...?

1 Peter 4:10-11 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

There are times that I don't "feel" like reading God's word too. I have learned that in those times I need to read anyway. When I do I find myself strengtened by the word the most.

Ususally when I don't want to read I later discover that I had my own agenda and was stubborn in yielding to what the Holy Spirit had revealed to me or was about to reveal to me in the scriptures.

Psalms 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Like you there are times when I contemplate on what I have read in the word as well.

Proverbs 3:1 My son, forget not my law; but let thine heart keep my commandments:...

...3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Proverbs 3:6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Guest jckduboise

No it is a different one and I am sure that the Lord will direct me to it again..I will share it when I find it again.

Yes stubborness is something I deal with. I can be very pig headed at times and boy do I pay the price for it later...usually my stubborness ends with eating crow. :thumbsup:

But you know lessons are sometimes hard but I can't help but love our Father more for loving me enough to discipline me.