• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

I am always taken back by the number of people claiming to be Christians who never use scripture when sharing their faith or making a point to another believer.

Jesus used scripture to make His points.

Examples:

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Luke 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

John 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

All the apostles and the prophets used scripture as authoritative and to prove their points.

I have heard some very sorry excuses as to why some "Christians" don't use the bible to back up what they say.

Why is that?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

only the scripture is truth. it is the only way to prove or diprove faith and anything else according to religion.... 2timothy 3:16.........

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/26/1932

I am always taken back by the number of people claiming to be Christians who never use scripture when sharing their faith or making a point to another believer.

Examples:

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Luke 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

John 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

All the apostles and the prophets used scripture as authoritative and to prove their points.

I have heard some very sorry excuses as to why some "Christians" don't use the bible to back up what they say.

Why is that?

The "Scriptures" mentioned above are what we call the Old Testament now. They had no Bible.

I will use Scripture when talking to a Christian as the Christian usually accepts the Bible as authoritative. Most non-believers do not accept the bible as authoritative so I will discuss spiritual matters in my own words. If we reach a point where the non-believer wants to know what the Bible says on a subject I will use it.

"Bible-thumping" is a real turn-off to most non-believers.

only the scripture is truth. it is the only way to prove or diprove faith and anything else according to religion.... 2timothy 3:16.........

Yep, I agree with you but the important thing is that you agree with the scriptures.

John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

• Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  157
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  11/13/1946

Examples:

Why is that?

The "Scriptures" mentioned above are what we call the Old Testament now. They had no Bible.

I will use Scripture when talking to a Christian as the Christian usually accepts the Bible as authoritative. Most non-believers do not accept the bible as authoritative so I will discuss spiritual matters in my own words. If we reach a point where the non-believer wants to know what the Bible says on a subject I will use it.

I had a non-believing friend call me a 'Bible thumper" once. At first I was offended. After a few seconds thought I took it as a compliment. :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  583
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  10/14/1962

This is my view also, very well said His Ambassador. :whistling:

Though I firmly believe all wisdom comes from the Bible, and that it needs to be the basis for any Christian's discussions on faith, I find that non-believers cannot relate to it like we do. We might as well be speaking a completely foreign language to them. So I will discuss things in my own words to them, never straying outside of Biblical guidelines, and when the Word fits the situation...I use it.

God bless,

Christ's servant

-CC-

Examples:

Why is that?

I don't know what "bible thumping" is. I introduce all non-believers to the scriptures if we are going to talk about faith and God.

I generally open my bible and share the scriptures. I don't thump on my bible. I quote from it like I believe it.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

I believe God's word has an impact on believers and non-believers.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

God bless,

Robert

Also, the Old Testament was their bible and the New Testament was being written.

Peter calls Pauls epistles "scriptures".

2 Peter 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

Examples:

Why is that?

hehehehe,

\my neighbor calls me a Bible thumper.... have never even spoke to him about the Bible, he hates me and every thing we stand for..... he just keeps getting prayed for, more and more...

use to be he would speak to us, and every other word was a swear word... now a half hour conversation can be held with him and no swear words..... he still calls us Bible Thumpers... and we have never thumped him with our Bibles....

God is working on him.... we just keep him in our prayer, as we do other neighbors. as we do friends and family

amazing that God shines through....... Love my Father...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

I am a Born Again Christian and I do not use Scripture every time I talk to someone.. :b:

Only when necessary to clarify so the person I am talking to understand exactly why I am the way I am.. :blink:

If you feel the need to use Scripture in all you conversations then do so but allow me the same freedom not to.... :21:

why call those who do not do so as

"people claiming to be Christians"
:whistling:

I think "Bible thumpers" is funny too :18:

reminds me of that nutty movie "Hot lead and cold feet" with the missionary and the 2 kids. :b: