• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  111
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/02/1953

There are times when I do use Scriptures. And there are times when I feel scriptures aren't really needed. I just allow the Holy Spirit to guide me and to speak through me. Scriptures are good , but sometimes non-believers don't understand them as we do and might run away from God instead of to Him.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  331
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  08/02/1949

No it is a different one and I am sure that the Lord will direct me to it again..I will share it when I find it again.

Yes stubborness is something I deal with. I can be very pig headed at times and boy do I pay the price for it later...usually my stubborness ends with eating crow. :emot-LOL:

But you know lessons are sometimes hard but I can't help but love our Father more for loving me enough to discipline me.

I know what you mean...

Hebrews 12:5-6 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

God is the "perfect" Father a good Father corrects His children.

Guest jckduboise

No it is a different one and I am sure that the Lord will direct me to it again..I will share it when I find it again.

Yes stubborness is something I deal with. I can be very pig headed at times and boy do I pay the price for it later...usually my stubborness ends with eating crow. :blink:

But you know lessons are sometimes hard but I can't help but love our Father more for loving me enough to discipline me.

I know what you mean...

Hebrews 12:5-6 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

God is the "perfect" Father a good Father corrects His children.

Yes and I shed tears of joy for it.

One thing I notice in the threads in this forum is that when a person quotes scripture to make a point he or she will draw fire from some people.

"All you do is quote scripture" " all you do is pound your bible" "Anyone can quote scripture etc".

I think it would be more productive for people to refute the way the scriptures are misused if that is what they believe then to knock posters for using the scriptures.

Just my 2 billion dollars. :wub:

Mark 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I think it is important to use scripture, for only scripture is the Gospel and has the true power of the Holy Spirit to convert people to Christ. But also to use it in a way that shows how the scripture is part of our life and being. What I mean is route spewing of scripture kind of turns us into a wind up toy believer, pull the string and you get memorized versus. These versus will sometimes seem to have no relevance to anything, almost making us into a person spewing a sales spin; it can be boring for others. But particularly in the New Testament, those were letters written from Apostles, they are sermons essentially, which don't always make sense in less they are read as a whole.

I just think scripture should be woven into our core beliefs and language in a way that makes it relevant. But I think it is very important to use, it is there for a reason we should not get in the way of scripture.

I think it is important to use scripture, for only scripture is the Gospel and has the true power of the Holy Spirit to convert people to Christ. But also to use it in a way that shows how the scripture is part of our life and being. What I mean is route spewing of scripture kind of turns us into a wind up toy believer, pull the string and you get memorized versus. These versus will sometimes seem to have no relevance to anything, almost making us into a person spewing a sales spin; it can be boring for others. But particularly in the New Testament, those were letters written from Apostles, they are sermons essentially, which don't always make sense in less they are read as a whole.

I just think scripture should be woven into our core beliefs and language in a way that makes it relevant. But I think it is very important to use, it is there for a reason we should not get in the way of scripture.

Hello Smalcald,

I agree scripture should not be used if it has no relevance or application to the topic.

I do think that small verses and portions of scriptures can be used to make a point. Christ and the apostles used that method all the time.

Examples:

Mark 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

1 Corinthians 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

My point was that if scriptures are being quoted out of context or have no application then it would be more productive if the person misquoting scripture was corrected and shown his or her error than to fault them for using scripture.

Thanks for your reply,

Robert

Edited by Rober H

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Hello Smalcald,

I agree scripture should not be used if it has no relevance or application to the topic.

I do think that small verses and portions of scriptures can be used to make a point. Christ and the apostles used that method all the time.

Examples:

Mark 7:6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.

Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

1 Corinthians 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

My point was that if scriptures are being quoted out of context or have no application then it would be more productive if the person misquoting scripture was corrected and shown his or her error than to fault them for using scripture.

Thanks for your reply,

Robert

I agree.

Also short versus are great helps for me during the day when I do not have my bible, but must rely on my not to great memory, I can't memorize Romans, (I wish I could!) but I can remember some of those gems in Romans.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  171
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  12/06/1951

I have been amazed at the different replies you have received from your topic of discussion. I am fairly new to this site and so am still navigating the "worthy boards". I have not given my testimony in the "testimony" area, but will share some of it which is:

I was a Jehovah's Witness for 13 years....Why did I get into it??...Because the people that came to my door

1.) Had Bibles (which having been raised a Catholic, I "knew" was God's Word)

2.) They used (actually misused) scripture

3).They were willing to take time out of their day (which I knew was as busy as mine) to teach me how to use it.

I loved God and thought what I was being taught was true...so it became my life.

A Christian Avon lady that started coming to my home....And so I would "witness to her" while I was looking at her books, I would even bring out my NWT to "show" her. She would listen and politely leave after taking my order . Always "showing me kindness"....Which was good.. BUT it was SCRIPTURE (the 'LIVING WORD of God') that got me to start questioning my belief.

Jesus' Words "I am the WAY, the TRUTH, and the life" John 14:6 kept going through my being...not letting me rest. Then "You shall know the TRUTH and it shall set you free"....The TRUTH was Jesus I made the connection.!!! Praise God! There is a lot of time(time to search scripture 'on my own' ...time to come to know Jesus MY GOD and Saviour, time to allow the PERSON of the Holy Spirit fill me and put my mind and heart back together) and other things that went on in this journey such as shunning (which unless you have never experianced it cannot know what it is like)! Anyway back to the point...which is: I spent 13 yrs. of not only my life but my families life in deception mainly because I didn't know God's Word so that when a different gosple was preached I believed it.

"....there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ but if we or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed."GALATIANS 1:7-8.

How do you know if it is "another gospel" if you don't know the real thing???

What if by 'giving your slant' you're distorting the truth?

I don't know...I just Thank God that "He so loved me that He sent His only son"

:emot-hug:

Blessings!

Treasured

I have been amazed at the different replies you have received from your topic of discussion. I am fairly new to this site and so am still navigating the "worthy boards". I have not given my testimony in the "testimony" area, but will share some of it which is:

I was a Jehovah's Witness for 13 years....Why did I get into it??...Because the people that came to my door

1.) Had Bibles (which having been raised a Catholic, I "knew" was God's Word)

2.) They used (actually misused) scripture

3).They were willing to take time out of their day (which I knew was as busy as mine) to teach me how to use it.

I loved God and thought what I was being taught was true...so it became my life.

A Christian Avon lady that started coming to my home....And so I would "witness to her" while I was looking at her books, I would even bring out my NWT to "show" her. She would listen and politely leave after taking my order . Always "showing me kindness"....Which was good.. BUT it was SCRIPTURE (the 'LIVING WORD of God') that got me to start questioning my belief.

Jesus' Words "I am the WAY, the TRUTH, and the life" John 14:6 kept going through my being...not letting me rest. Then "You shall know the TRUTH and it shall set you free"....The TRUTH was Jesus I made the connection.!!! Praise God! There is a lot of time(time to search scripture 'on my own' ...time to come to know Jesus MY GOD and Saviour, time to allow the PERSON of the Holy Spirit fill me and put my mind and heart back together) and other things that went on in this journey such as shunning (which unless you have never experianced it cannot know what it is like)! Anyway back to the point...which is: I spent 13 yrs. of not only my life but my families life in deception mainly because I didn't know God's Word so that when a different gosple was preached I believed it.

"....there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ but if we or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed."GALATIANS 1:7-8.

How do you know if it is "another gospel" if you don't know the real thing???

What if by 'giving your slant' you're distorting the truth?

I don't know...I just Thank God that "He so loved me that He sent His only son"

:wub:

Blessings!

Treasured

Wow! :emot-hug:

That was an encouraging post!

Thanks for sharing!

I was born and raised in the Catholic church. I can relate...

In His service,

Robert